• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva Sport 1100 2V or, 1200 4V... Which to buy?

Trout, I guess everyone needs to have rant now and then. Don'the know who the audience was for that one. As I say... If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bikes. It's cheaper than trying to make a Guzzi's fast.

Hey there!
Wasn't a rant at all just a remembrance from past days I thought I would share.
At the time I was riding the old loop frame 750 & 850's which were probably the slowest machines going.
Mostly it was kids on 750 Honda's or 500 Kawi's that thought racing was from traffic light to traffic light LOL!

Just for the fun of it I took my 650 BSA chopper & did some mild engine work & put a 60 tooth rear sprocket on it.
Top speed about 65 before the vibes shook the eye balls but in a short run would take on a Jap bike & give a good show.

I have had my Breva 11 for ten years and loved it so much I refurbished her back to new. I tried the latest Stelvio and Griso 1200 models but didn't like them. The valve gear was very noisy and the engine just felt ruff to me with not much extra power. The dash is a big problem though if you get one that has moisture damage. Mine also had some cam wear that has not been explained other than faulty manufacturing in my opinion. But overall a great bike and I aim to keep mine for a further 15 years as nothing else will do.

Tony, Thank you again for the info. Regarding mileage, I was only looking at it as reference point for purchase, not a "I can put it off longer". I've built my fair share of engines, just not Guzzi. DLC is a new acronym for me that I'll have to look up.

I marvel at the marketing terms such as "Stage 1, 2, etc..." Harley-Davidson has capitalized well on these terms and their buyers are proud that they have a Stage "X" kit in their bike, without a clue about what it is. I guess few can read rpm, torque and hp graphs and understand they mean. My favorite thing about Harley-Davidson's are the myriad of parts and aftermarket parts available. That said, it's not Italian!

Your information has been invaluable to me in my search for yet another Guzzi!

Heard this one the other day......

What does an old Kirby vacuum cleaner and a Harley Davidson motorcycle have in common? The dirtbag always rides on the back of the machine.....

I purchased last spring a 2008 Breva Sport. Red/White. The previous owner spent a good deal of money in making improvements galore. Here is a list. Replaced dash, Bassa handlebars, PCV with auto tune, intake mod CNC plate and filter, Mistral exhaust, cat eliminator pipe, Traxxion Dynamics rear and front suspension upgrades, double H sintered brake pads. The tires were worn so I put on a set of Pirelli Angel GT tires. This bike is no speed demon but it really handles well and likes going through the twisties at 70 to 90 mph.

I have taken the bike to the drag strip a couple of times. She doesn't do as well as I like. My best is 12.9 at 108 mph. That is me in the far lane. My buddy Jerry on his 1200 Thruxton R. He beats me every time. I want to beat him someday.

What else can be done to get more horse power and torque out of her.

4 8 18

You have probably reached the power limits. These bikes were made to enjoy the road (curves), not go in a straight line. If you want to beat him, get a different bike. He is probably much lighter than you with similar power. I've been told each 7 pounds equates to 1 horsepower when you go to reduce weight.

As John states above, power to weight is where he has you beat, along with a decade plus of motor advancement with semi-clean slate design. Much like the 8V engine was for Guzzi in ~07. You can throw a ton of money at the 1151cc 2V motor, or swap up to the 8V engine (and I can big bore one for you to 1380cc) with cams can get you to ~140 rwhp as on my GTM-01 build (click on the BUILDS tab at the top of the page), and at 396 lbs with a gallon of fuel onboard, my builds make the Thruxton a bit portly feeling. ;)

Your three options for a quicker E.T. are more power, less weight, and shorter gearing.
But it is hard to make a Guzzi weigh less, and gearing isn't easy to change. That leaves more power, but the older two valve motor can only go so far. As mentioned, it would be cheaper and easier to slip in a newer 8 valve motor. That alone will get you probably 15 - 20 percent more power. From there you can throw money at it to get it up there, as Todd said. But the two valve CARC motor is pretty much the end of the line for the old two valve Guzzi big twin. You can port it, you might even be able to find a cam for it. But the unit cost for each increase in power is going to be much higher than it is with the 8 valve motor. I ain't saying don't do it, just that if you do go down that road you should know before you start it is an expensive and short road.

What is the limiting factor in increasing bore size on these two valve engines?

A two valve pushrod motor can make a lot of power with the right combustion chamber design, and valve and port architecture. The new V85 engine reverts back to two valves and makes nearly 100 hp per liter. It has much in common with the Gen III Hemi engine. With the relatively small number of bikes out there it would never make economic sense to design and cast a new head.

The physical limit to bore is the cylinder studs and pushrods. Too big and the metal gets thin at those spots. That leads to hot spots and a distorted bore when hot. But the size of available replacement pistons and cylinders is also a limitation.
The hemi style head of the 1100 guzzi motor is an OK design. It would likely do really well with forced induction, as hemi heads typically do. It does not have much in the way of a squish band. The valves are about as big as you can fit, but I am not sure the port layout is all that great.
So far I have not seen anything about the new V85 motor that is overly impressive, and hitting the 100 hp per liter mark might have been impressive 20 years ago. But first let's wait and see how much power it actually makes.

I put a fair bit of work into the wifes V11, with machining the cylinders and heads to create a squish band, as well as porting. It got a nice boost in power, as you would expect. But it is still an air cooled two valve per cylinder twin. It is quick, but it isn't modern motorcycle fast.

Back