• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

BREVA V7 CLASSIC TIMING COVER OIL SEAL

Falcone

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hi all,

Have been noticing an increased in use of oil on my V7 Classic and have discovered that there appears to be an oil leak behind the plastic alternator cover. Yet to take off to explore but am assuming it is the oil seal behind the alternator in the timing cover? Out of warranty of course – by two months!

I last replaced one of these some 25 years ago on my V50 Monza. I've been looking at the rather poor, I feel (compared to the old workshop manuals), V7 Classic factory workshop manual. Obvious differences to when I last did this! The big difference I am wondering about is the removal and replacement of the 'rev/stroke sensor'. The replacement being the pertinent point. The manual shows this to be rather more than just unscrew remove and plonk back in and tighten. Referring to air gap measurement etc.

Anyone any experience of this and any comment/advice appreciated?

Many thanks.

Dave Davies

For the sensor, if you don't misplace any of the spacers/shims a removal and installation of the sensor will not impact the air gap.

Thanks for that John. That did seem logical but I am a bit of a worrier :) and like re-assurance.

Just taken the plastic cover off and that confirmed the leak is coming from that seal. I've ordered the parts - in fact just had confirmation email they are on their way from 'Stein Dinse' in Germany. Although I'm in UK find it easier to deal; with them for parts!

Manual also refers to the use of a sealant paste - any recommendations?

Wish they were more forthcoming with torque settings too!

Dave

No idea what they had in mind for a sealant paste. I suspect something like Yamaha bond, (available at Yamaha dealers) but I'm not sure. The Japanese bike brands tend to use the stuff in place of gaskets. As for torque settings, they aren't critical on the engine covers. Wrench art will go a long way to get them snug enough without stripping. I won't use a torque wrench on small fasteners. I prefer to go by feel.

I have also noticed a "seep" in this same area, I'll be taking it in for warranty work soon- not sure why you would want to do it yourself when it should be covered.

Hi Mudwasp,

My warranty has run out. Not sure what you get in the US but is only 2 years over here and even then the importers don't have a reputation for being the most pro - active or sympathetic.

Dave

Dave- oops- sorry, i should have read the beginning of your post more carefully!
Just took my V7 classic in today to Erico in Denver, They seemed to think this was obviously a warranty issue- However... we will see how it is dealt with and i will report back. I also had a couple other things for them to look at, on Saturday i was out for a ride and my beloved bike puked oil all over my boots, pants and itself- pulled over immediately and and asked my husband to please go get the trailer-hopefully no harm done- possibly the oil temp sensing unit? The other thing i noticed while cleaning the oil bath off the bike was that there is excessive checking and some larger cracks in my rear tire on the sidewall- probably should have taken pix but didn't. I've ridden for many years and Metzler has always been a favorite tire brand, i've never seen this kind of thing with them(especially on tires with only 1500 miles on them) I check pressure very frequently-so i don't think this is neglect. As i said i'll give a report on these warranty issues, so far things are good. That being said i went into the purchase of this bike knowing that there might be some "sorting out" to do. I still love the bike and am willing to put up with quite a bit from it, I'm only sad that i'll likely miss a week or two of riding.

mudwasp said:
Dave- oops- sorry, i should have read the beginning of your post more carefully!
Just took my V7 classic in today to Erico in Denver, They seemed to think this was obviously a warranty issue- However... we will see how it is dealt with and i will report back. I also had a couple other things for them to look at, on Saturday i was out for a ride and my beloved bike puked oil all over my boots, pants and itself- pulled over immediately and and asked my husband to please go get the trailer-hopefully no harm done- possibly the oil temp sensing unit? The other thing i noticed while cleaning the oil bath off the bike was that there is excessive checking and some larger cracks in my rear tire on the sidewall- probably should have taken pix but didn't. I've ridden for many years and Metzler has always been a favorite tire brand, i've never seen this kind of thing with them(especially on tires with only 1500 miles on them) I check pressure very frequently-so i don't think this is neglect. As i said i'll give a report on these warranty issues, so far things are good. That being said i went into the purchase of this bike knowing that there might be some "sorting out" to do. I still love the bike and am willing to put up with quite a bit from it, I'm only sad that i'll likely miss a week or two of riding.

I would check the valve cover gasket as I have oiled my boots twice :eek: :lol: First time I found out that Luigi messed up putting the gasket on, and the second time the gasket I put on, going along with a recommendation to put a very light coat of high temp grease on the gasket to keep it from sticking, well not high temp enough as the heat destroyed the gasket and oiled the boot again. :? :lol: Replaced the gasket dry this time :D Just had my 6000 mile service and valves were adjusted, new gaskets put on, so now I can blame the dealer if my boots get oiled again :lol:

Bill

We did the valve adjustment,replaced the gaskets- everything worked fine.Would a gasket problem seal at first and then let loose like that? what was the problem with the gasket in your case? mis-alignment ? junk under it ? Anyway, seeeing as how it's in denver at Erico I'm sure that the shop will fire it up and check all possibilities.they think it will be done on friday!!! If so i will be quite happy!

To answer your question look at my above post and I bolded what happened to the gaskets. The engine heat heated up the grease to a point that turned the gasket into mush :eek: :lol:

Bill

It is pretty easy to pull one of the oil breather pipes loose from the top of the valve covers too. I have waterproofed my boots this way after adjusting the valves.

oldmanjob said:
I would check the valve cover gasket as I have oiled my boots twice :eek: :lol: First time I found out that Luigi messed up putting the gasket on, and the second time the gasket I put on, going along with a recommendation to put a very light coat of high temp grease on the gasket to keep it from sticking, well not high temp enough as the heat destroyed the gasket and oiled the boot again. :? :lol: Replaced the gasket dry this time :D Just had my 6000 mile service and valves were adjusted, new gaskets put on, so now I can blame the dealer if my boots get oiled again :lol:

Bill

Second the valve cover gasket. My left one leaked on the test ride, fixed by the dealer before purchase. Yesterday the right one leaked a little after I'd been sitting in gridlocked traffic for a while. Probably therefore temperature related because it hasn't leaked again since.

Report on Erico in Denver:
Yes indeed the leak was from the oil pressure switch, apparently it was that loose that it sprayed oil everywhere! All they had to do(yeah ALL) was take the tank off, and tighten it up- was not even broken! I guess Luigi forgot to torque it.
The seep from the front seal under the alternator was checked out, they said"yes, there is a seep - we suggest you keep an eye on it- they sometimes go away, but if at any time it gets worse- even after warranty we will fix it" Ok- i can deal with the seep- maybe it will go away?
The rear tire with the cracks in the sidewall is being replaced by Metzler.
So i am quite happy with Erico, the guys there are very friendly, seem to know their stuff and have very quick turnaround for service.I will take my bike back to them for things that are beyond the scope of our home workshop or warranty work. I am thrilled to have my bike back.

Thought it was about time I returned to this as I started it. I actually discovered in the end that I DIDN'T have an oil seal issue (or at least it's magically fixed itself if I did :) ). I was preparing to take the plastic alternator cover off to have another look at the oil weep trail and asses the job, when I noticed that a bottom left (sitting in front of the bike) allen bolt was missing!!! Not one of the plastic alternator cover bolts but the actual timing chain cover bolt just below the plastic cover. Now I of course had not touched this. Find it hard to believe I had never noticed it missing when I cleaned the bike. SO, I am assuming this was never tightened correctly at the factory and had been slowly undoing and eventually fell out,causing the weep which, in turn, was eventually finding it's way through the gap in the bottom of the plastic alternator cover and for all the world looking like a leak from the seal when inspected. I replaced the missing bolt and must have covered 500/600 miles+ with no oil leak at all!

Now I can concentrate on the T3 I've bought, in bits, and am collecting tomorrow for a restoration project.

My V7C has sprung a leak behind the cover as well. About a month ago I took it in for a leak from the sensor on the left side of the bike, but now it's leaking from behind the alternator cover and still leaking in the old spot -- only when the oil is hot and thin. I'm thinking the dealer replaced the wrong seal and didn't even do it right!! I had no leak from there before, the next day I did. Also, my alternator cover has stress cracks near, and from the allen bolts. A sure sign they took it off and reinstalled it too tight. Needless to say, I'm very pissed. Now I have to leave it there another week or two while they order a gasket and wait...and wait. I'm just going to ride it while I have another few weeks of pleasant weather.

Now I have had 4 of those bolts fall out of the alternator cover, which I had to replace, though I never thought to check behind there. Perhaps I'm missing a bolt there, like you, causing a leak. I'll be sure to check that. Thanks for coming in here and posting your findings.

Back