• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bringing the baby home

metalman54

Tuned and Synch'ed
when my son was born I was 23 and I clearly remember the day my wife and I brought him home from the hospital. We had no clue how to take care of a baby. Luckily, my mother lived nearby and provided the much needed instructions; like how to fold a diaper.

So, last week I bought a 2013 v7 Special and trailered it home. And I need help with the baby again.
I was hoping I could get the collective wisdom to help me as well as to be a one spot "go to" for new owners wanting to maintain their new bikes.

Things like:
What oil(s) to use and where.
How often to check and to replace fluids
How to maintain the painted body parts
Recommendations for "should have" add ons like the extended oil sump.
Must haves like a battery tender and recomendations for brands.
Recommendations for minimum clothing to buy.
Other things you learn the hard way but will avoid by listening to this advice.
Things NOT to do or add on.
Etc.

Well, if you don't have a centerstand, tie one side of the diaper there and tuck the front corner into the alt cover.
Diaper didn't work but I'm glad you mentioned center stands because I was thinking of getting one.
Is one better than another, is it difficult to put on myself, do some not fit or work with the stock stand?

What oil(s) to use and where.
How often to check and to replace fluids
How to maintain the painted body parts
Download the Owners and shop manual from this site. Make a donation for the info.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/
Use any oil that matches the specs called out. You can find a million or more oil threads online but it is all personal preference if it meets the requirements called out in the manual. To try and avoid another thread I will not even mention a brand. Paint is similar to a car. Keep it clean and waxed. I use S100 to clean and when I get off my lazy butt and apply wax it gets what I have normally Mothers or Turtle.

Recommendations for "should have" add ons like the extended oil sump.
I never had a V7 and I am unsure where Union is but if a cooler climate I go for heated grips,

Must haves like a battery tender and recommendations for brands.
I prefer the Optimate, also available from the store tab above, or any good quality charger like Battery Tender or Schumacher (Craftsman).

Recommendations for minimum clothing to buy.
Helmet, preferably full face or flip up of a good brand. You'll pay but what does one day in intensive care cost? Good gloves. I use Held and Lee Parks but there are hundreds of good glove manufacturers. Some friends swear by Aerostich elkskin ropers, others use Alpinestars and I had a set of Fieldshear I used till they wore through. Get a good riding jacket. Style and type depend on climate and what type of weather you will ride in.

Other things you learn the hard way but will avoid by listening to this advice.
If you can take a MSF riding school or attend some other type school.

This is just a quick rundown. I am sure you will get plenty of others chiming in.

I'd add Kevlar (or similar) lined trousers to Abbienormal's sartorial advice, and a decent pair of boots. Head to your local bike clothing store and try things on. You need to be comfortable as well as protected.
But a V7 isn't a rocket bike. You don't need one-piece leathers. And it's not a cruiser, so you don't need the full lifestyle stuff.
As for add-ons, this forum is the place to be.

And as far as tools go?
I have just about every tool known to man but are there some specialized tools I should get to work on the v7?
What tools do you try to keep with you when you ride?

Put in gas.
Check Oil: NOTE: Guzzi's generally don't like the oil to be at the full mark on the dipstick!
If you top it off it will blow it out into the air filter; usually the oil level is fine at the 1/2 way point.
Ride.
As things come up post them & we'll figure out how to fix them.

The more miles on these the better they are.

Congrats Metalman. I just finished reading your ABS post and was just wondering if or what you ended up going with. I too purchased a used ' 14 V7 special and this forum was a big help in educating myself on all the quirks and questions that I had regarding a bike brand that has such a small dealer network. The service, shop manual, and wiring diagrams in the downloads sections are a life saver and a great resource. They used to be available for free but I think you may have to be a subscriber or donating member to access it now.

For my '14, the first thing I had installed was the sump extender, as the previous generation('09-'12) had a bad history of oil consumption. However it seems that they have gotten better with that issue on the '13-'15 models and oil consumption has never been much of a problem for me, and would have skipped it if I were to do it all over. Being a new rider, I don't know how far your rides are going to be and might be fine with just being mindful of your oil. Then again, peace of mind is always a good thing to have.

Todd's ECU re-flash would be a highly recommend from me, and it really did wonders and made riding the bike noticeably smoother and much more enjoyable. A little excerpt from my original experience with the re-flash.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/posts/104001/

Last edited:
I finally bought a 2013 v7 special and didn't go with the 2016 with ABS. I'll learn to ride on a bike that is 4k less expensive.
You mentioned Todd's flash. I have read a few threads talking about this but I really don't know what it is. I suspect it has something to do with the bike's computer but where that is or how you reprogram it is a mystery to me. I have a lot more I have to learn about the bike. Advanced things as well as basic.
Thanks for writing; keep in touch with how you are doing with your 2014.

Yes, a re-flash is a new program installed on the bikes computer (ECU) that controls fueling & timing.

All new bikes regardless of brand are programmed to run lean (less fuel) from the factory because of EPA regulations.
A re-map (re-flash) changes that so the engine runs correctly.

Indications that a bike needs a re-flash may be:
Hard Starting & long warm up time.
Hesitation & lack of power at low or hi speeds.
Popping in the exhaust when decelerating or sometimes when shifting.

The other reason(s) you would need a re-flash are if you change/modify exhaust or air filter.
When changes like that are made the fueling requirements need to be changed.
Todd has a few different options to re-flash if & when you get to that point.

Years back on bikes with carbs we would "re-jet" the carb.

By the way I think you made a wise choice.
Learn to ride without ABS & you will be a better rider.
It is far easier to go from No ABS to ABS than to become dependent on ABS & then not have it.

Another thought for a new Guzzi person: Oil Level.

Check your oil regularly.
If you have done that already & the bike is new it will probably show "Full" on the dip stick.
After a few hundred miles (maybe less) the level will drop to about the halfway mark: Don't top it off!

Every Guzzi I have ever owned will drop to the 1/2 way point & stay there until the oil change is due.
If you top it off to the full mark in a short time you find the air filter may be getting oily.
Let it stay at the 1/2 way point & keep checking it to make sure it does not drop lower.

After you have owned the bike for awhile & gained confidence in it it will not be a worry.

Enjoy that new ride!

I don't know if the new V7/V9 engines are like the earlier ones that consumed oil until break in was complete. As Trout said, keep an eye on the oil level. If it goes below the half way point at least add till you get to the half way point. Several 750 Breva engines were toast after running too low on oil. I don't know it it is an issue with the new V7/V9 machines, but I'd keep a close eye on oil level.

Also, be SURE you tighten the oil cap. They have a habit of vibrating loose if the rider is not careful.
Right, I make this handy tool to make it easy; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-v7-oil-cap-tool/

Per all the posts above, most bikes are delivered over-full. Half-way on the dipstick is ~1.5 qts. My sump spacer; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-sump-spacer-kit-black/ - holds 2.5 qts - piece of mind for sure. Also be sure to check your charging system with a voltmeter at the battery. Most of the '13-14s are over 15v at idle and go up from there, causing electronic component failure.

Thanks for all the suggestions about the oil
The original owner (whom I bought the bike from) put the sump extension on so I think that should help.
I believe the bike has to be vertical when I check the oil. I don't have a center stand so how does one keep the bike upright and unscrew and check the oil at the same time? There must be a trick other than muscle.
On another note, I need to get gas (fuel). Do you have a brand and /or octane recommendation?

Put in the highest octane you can find. If you use a top tier fuel they are supposed to keep the fuel system cleaner. For getting the bike upright, lift table with wheel vice, or locking chock. Also Pit Bull makes work stands for the front and rear. If there is a factory stand available, that may be the most cost effective.

Thanks for the advice about the Pit Bull rear stand. It looks like a well built tool. My question is if it is better to invest in the pit bull stand or a permanently installed center stand. Both are about the same price.

When you asked about octane it made me smile because different brand bikes have different requirements.
My Guzzi's have always run best & lasted longest using high octane fuel.
Didn't matter what size engine from a 750 to the 1400.

A few years back I finally bought another brand of bike: Victory.
These are a big 1750cc V-Twin with a lot of torque & a power band from 2800 to red line at 5500.
I would have thought that hi octane fuel would be needed but actually these run best & last longest on mid grade.

Back