• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Broken auto tensioner spring and Aussie hearts

Andy in NZ

Just got it firing!
Greetings all

I thought that after beating the Aussies in the Rugby League World Cup final (ours for 4 years!!!) nothing could spoli my day, until I drained the oil on the LM V.

What did I find...the hook end off a very thin spring. It didnt take long to work out it was from the auto tensioner for the timing chain that I'd fitted 4 years and 10,000 km ago.:unsure:
Sure enough after pulling the timing chest was the rest of the spring, luckily still attached and only minor fretting to the cases. No wonder it was tough to time with the timing light!:blink:

Has anyone else had this happen? Any remedies for future prevention? I'm concerned it will happen again, and wonder if a suitably shaped and fitted block mounted behind the tensioner blade may be a better solution, or even an external bolt and locknut through the cases, similar to modified Jap fours used in racing.

Meanwhile I've ordered the parts from Motokiwi. Hopefully they arrive soon, Ive got a 1000km ride this weekend around the East Cape.

Cheers
Andy in NZ
PS Did I mention the Rugby League?:p

Yeah yeah yeah Ok you win! Deserved though, you blokes just played better than us - simple as.

It does occasionally happen. I have no idea why, my guess is that perhaps the spring is damaged during installation. I've yet to have one fail that i know of.

My method is to install the mount first, then the chain and sprockets and then the blade and spring. Once the spring eye is over the pin of the mount I push the blade up into the case and then tap the blade the rest of the way on with a small hammer before pushing the spring over the case bolt boss and installing the nut and washer. I don't like crushing the blade flat with vice grips before installing the chain and sprockets as I think this strains the blade and spring.

Pete

Cheers Pete
My spring broke at the casting boss, I wonder if it fretted against the boss? I was as careful as possible when I installed it and used the same method you have described. The plot thickens...
Andy in NZ:huh:

Just completeda 100km run around our East Cape. Ran beautifully, wether terrific, more curves than you can poke a sharp stick at, and a quiet timing chain. Does it get any better?
Cheers
Andy in NZ:p

I noticed that the spring on my valtek was not straight, but drawn over something (bump in the casting?). this will eventually introduce failure I suspect.

I'm going to timing gears...

I'm glad you noticed this. THis was my first suspect.
The other scenario that occurred to me was using a metal blade to work it in around this bump may have scratched the spring and created a stress riser to eventually crack through.
This time I took more care and assembled it without using a flat screwdriver blade...so far so good. After 1500kms in the last 4 days its early days but silent days...aaahhh.
Cheers
Andy in NZ:huh:

I left the spring off when I installed one on my Eldo recently, in attempt to see if the reduced tension would result in less chain whir. It still whirred and seems to be holding in there for the last 10,000 miles or so.

Hey Greg,

Might I ask which tensioner you are using? I need to replace the stock one on a '74 Eldo, as the "rubbing" material is completely gone.

It's the common stucchi/valtek spring-loaded noisemaker. The real Guzzi one's quieter but four times as costly.

I've got the Valtek too, on my T3. It's been on there for a very long time & many miles, & completely trouble free. I'm wondering why Greg removed the spring, as I thought that was part of what made it superior to stock-it's the spring that maintains the tension on the chain, right? As for the whirring noise-sure, it's hard to miss, but personally, I like it. But then, I kind of like the backfiring on overrun on my Norge-just like Motorcycle Consumer News did in their very positive Norge review.

I removed it because I like to experiment and because I hoped it would reduce the annoying whirring. Sadly, not enough.

Interesting experiment to leave out the spring. Mine did that without me asking! I know the noises youre hearing.

I wondered whether a block, approprioately shaped and fashioned to fit between the tensioner blade and the cases would do the trick. maybe alloy or teflon or other nylon. It doesnt contact the chain. merely supports and pressures the blade.

Perhaps shape it to provide initial pressure and leave it to see how it goes. It shouldnt wear, and if its large enough it shouldn't come loose and end up in the sump like my spring. It certainly wont back off or overrun.

Sound tempting enough for an experiment Greg?:laugh:
Merry Christmas all.
Cheers
Andy in NZ
PS Christmas here is summer, sun, surf, salad and suds on your beer. Enjoy yours wherever you are.:woohoo:

THere seemed to be lenty of tension without the spring or anything else. It's been that way for 18 months or so now.

Back