• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brother's Breva Broken [Well, Just a Key]

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
My brother, who recently bought a B11, called me in a state of great frustration while ago.

Seems he found that the key to his (OEM) panniers has broken off, leaving much in the lock, but some on the key.

He can, it appears -- but I have not confirmed and he too riled up to respond definitively -- insert enough of the key to work the lock. FWIW, he was NOT amused when I then asked, "So, what's the problem?" :laugh:

Michael heatedly added, "I'm going to file a warranty claim." He then got madder when I laughed. :whistle:

Be all of that as it may, as he has a spare key, is there an easy way to remove the broken piece of the key?

Thanks.

Bill

With fine tools (Picks) he may be able to remove the broken part. If he isn't that skilled, then a trip to a locksmith is appropriate. Hopefully he knows his user code so he can obtain a second key and program the dash to recognize the new key.

john zibell said:
With fine tools (Picks) he may be able to remove the broken part. If he isn't that skilled, then a trip to a locksmith is appropriate. Hopefully he knows his user code so he can obtain a second key and program the dash to recognize the new key.

Thanks, John, but it is not the ignition key that broke in the slot, but the r/h side of the pannier lock.

May still be the same answer, i.e., locksmith, tho.

Here are some pix of me removing and partially disassembling the tumbler. Unfortunately, I cannot extract the key, tho I do have quite an assortment of picks, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/Busted-Key-Lock-B11

Will call dealer shortly, but if anyone has ideas to get it right, please let me know. Will not like the new lock-different key answer we'll probably get.

Bill

Bill,

I thought the OEM bags used the ignition key. BTW, the picture didn't come up when I clicked the link.

I'm guessing that the broken bit of the key won't come out unless all the individual segments/tabs of the lock are perfectly aligned. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as an unbroken key will be strong enough to wiggle them into line. Couple of suggestions....and it depends how far into the lock the key has broken.....try standing the lock barrel upside down on a strong magnet & wiggle to segments/tabs to see if the magnet will pull it free......or heat the barrel so it expands a bit and then see if you can get the broken bit out with your picks? OK, these might seem stupid ideas but what have you got to lose?

New lock set is available for the Breva 1100 BUT only the steering/ignition, seat and fuel cap. According to a near dealer you have the purchase the pannier set to obtain the keys/locks! ouch.
I know i obtained some key blanks from a guy in australia - classic keys or something of that type of name and Stuart kindly sent them through, maybe same as a Fiat. but did send him photo's to identify.

http://www.keys4classics.com/

Then I got them cut to the only key i had for the panniers, when i bought the bike. local key cutter said it looks like something off a Fiat. replacment blank has the marks "Silca made in Italy" on one side. "ZD 18" inside a circle on the otherside.

But you may find someone more local of course to source the keys etc.

Hope this helps?

Steve aka Stevo
BSE GB

Many thanks for those responses.

I am going to try first with a local locksmith, then pursue warranty replacement. In the absence of showing of abuse, should win, ultimately, after more bureaucratic blood and gore than probably worth. :blink:

OTOH, Kathi is out of town for a couple of weeks, so mebbe I 'll just spread it and those pesky wafers all over the dining-room table and take lots of pix for the reassembly. :woohoo:

Bill

Paul Harvey on Re: Brother's Breva Broken [Well, Just a Key]

Here's "the rest of the story!"

Finally happened to ride by a local "old timey" sort of locksmith shop.

Guy looked at it, took it in the back, came back with borken bit in one hand and intact tumbler in other. He did have to take it apart, but only because the end of this key -- and not necessarily true of all -- had a high ridge, thus trapping it.

In any event, he said $6. I gave him $10. :*

Now I need to reinstall into pannier and back in business. It's been awhile, but we took pix.

Pretty amazing.

Bill

Back