• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Building a seat... And other stuff.....

Bobbilljim

Just got it firing!
Hey all,
I just bought a 1984 Cali II that is in pretty rough shape. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me out with...

1. I need a seat and don't want to spend more than I paid for the bike. So I figured it would be easy to build one but I only have some idea of how it attaches. Is there any way someone can post a pic of the bottom of a Cali II long seat with a ruler in the pic so I can have an idea of dimensions?

2. How can I tell if I have the original Guzzi trees. I know the shocks aren't so I am guessing the trees aren't either.

3. Does anyone know where I can get ahold of an English copy of the '84 Cali II service manual. I found the riders manual on the tractor website. All I can find are copies in Italian and I don't speak Italian.

4. It has Brembo brakes but not sure if they are original. Best as I can tell from the parts manual they are but just curious.

I have been wrenching on planes for 15 years so working on the bike isn't going to be a problem but finding the right parts and a manual is proving more difficult than I imagined...

Thanks in advance,

Newbie...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 923
You are missing quite a bit of that bike. The part the original seat attached to isn't on the bike. There is a parts manual here you can use for reference http://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1000/ ... ia2_PL.pdf

If you plan is to ride the bike, with so much missing, your choice is to find used parts if you want to go original, or just fabricate what you need to make things work. Neither will be easy or cheap. Either option would probably be more than you paid for the bike.

If you didn't pay much for the bike (it sounds like you didn't) The third option is to part out what you have, probably make a profit, and find something that is more complete.

In the car world there are three contingents to a successful overhaul. Time, convenience and, money. I have plenty of time, so the money spent will be a bit at a time, so the convenience of the parts is not a big factor. I work with fiberglass/carbon fiber airplanes so fabricating a seat will take mostly time. As for the other parts, cables are available from what I have seen on the net and most of the other parts can be used so long as all they need is a little TLC. Like a walnut blast and a powder coat which I have the means to do. I am sure I could make out like a bandit if I parted her out but I picked this bike because of the history, and the fact that the technology is slightly advanced that's her predecessors. Also, my daughter has affectionate named her Caterina so it looks like we're gonna keep her. As for all the extras like bags and chrome, I would have removed that anyway. I am going for a look that says classic, but suggests a hint of a cafe racer without cutting away half the frame. So if anybody has a pic of the underbelly of a Cali II saddle I sure would appreciate it....

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the project. As you said, time and money.

From what little I can see, the triple trees look stock, as do the brake calipers. MGCycle.com is your friend for parts.

As for the seat, honestly, I'd keep an eye on eBay. They turn up from time to time in all kinds of condition and price.

Best of luck on it, and be sure to post your progress as you go. These are always fun to watch/see.

I understand your position. The seat pan on these Tonti bikes is pretty straight. Just a curved in area near the back to give the rear fender some clearance. Also there would be some rubber bumpers along the pan to make contact with the frame. I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures of a seat bottom.

If you are going for the Cafe look, you could try to work a trade for lower frame rails, pegs, shifting and brake linkage from a peg bike for your floor board setup. The setup from a peg model T-3 through the Mille GT should interchange. I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm incorrect.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks guys! I kinda like the footboards but I may swap them out in time. I'll make a note..

Here are a couple better pics of the trees. The lower tree has a 4 port distributor where as per the Guzzi part manual shows a two port with 1 bolt holding it on. The two banjo bolts go in one port and the switch in the other. That's what makes me think its not original...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 869
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 869
Originally the bike had linked brakes. The hand operated the right front disk, and the foot brake operated the rear and left front disk. It looks like you brakes were de-linked, and it was done well if the front master is of the correct size to handle two calipers.

So probably not the original trees. I know the bars aren't so the front caliper is most likely from wherever the firms came from. I have a set of the original front shocks that I am going to rebuild. I guess I need to track down some original trees and a front Master... Hmmmm.....

Actually, the trees appear to be original, just the manifold isn't. If you get an original master, then you have to re-link the brakes which takes some additional plumbing you don't have. Personally I prefer the linked brakes on these bikes, but many prefer separate brake controls. Your choice.

Would this Cali use the same seat from a 76T3 ??

If so I can take pics of mine.

I don't get on the forum very often so email me if you want pics.

Trout

I am not sure. If you want to send a pic anyways that would be great. The parts manual doesn't break the seat down very well.
john zibell said:
Actually, the trees appear to be original, just the manifold isn't. If you get an original master, then you have to re-link the brakes which takes some additional plumbing you don't have. Personally I prefer the linked brakes on these bikes, but many prefer separate brake controls. Your choice.

I am definitely going to re-do the brakes. I have found all the parts I need. I have serious doubts about the trees because the mount for that fwd caliper distributor. The parts manual calls out for a single tapped hole in the lower. Neither of them look like the diagram dawn out in the shop manual either. I found one in Italian. I have translated the pictures but the words I am still working on... ha Ha!

I've had a long hard look at the fork sliders and brake calipers and that is definitely not a guzzi front end on it!!
the sliders are all wrong as they should be the same as the 850T T3 Le mans type . The brake calipers are not Brembos as yours have the bleed nipple hanging outboard way too much and brembos are either twin verticle nipples or the nipple is up next to the inlet on later calipers. The top triple tree with the big cut out is not like any guzzi top I've seen.
Well thats my two bobs worth :whistle: :whistle:

I didn't think so. I think it's Japanese. So it looks like I'll be searching for someone who wants to swap parts. Hmm... That'll be a needle in a haystack.

I do like the handlebars though. Original Guzzi bars were 7/8" if I'm not mistaken, or the nearest mm equivalent.

I have been keeping an eye out on all the parts sights and ebay and even Pinterest. Still no luck on seat pans. I was looking at the frame the other day and it appears I am missing a tab on the left side of the frame where the seat goes for the original installation. There is only a tab on the right side just above the rear brake cylinder. The frame in the parts book I have shows two where the back of the seat mounts. The latch mechanism is still in tact and there are two rub marks on either side of it where it looks like rubber bumpers may have rested for forward support. Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 414
Well, the verdict is in. After scouring the front calipers for identification I found the word nissin embossed on one of the calipers. Some image searching on google led me to a 1981 set of Honda cb900 calipers and triple trees on eBay. It is for sure a Honda CB900/900C circa 1981 front fork. Anyone have a Cali II front end they want to trade me? I need trees, calipers and the headlight mount tubes that go between the two trees. Ahhhh.... I love this stuff!!!

So when I bought this bike the guy I bought it from said the forks were not Guzzi. I forgot that part but the research was pretty cool. Also, he said he has the original tree clamps and Brembo calipers.

So, does anyone have a suggestion about bike rebuilds. Do I pull everything off the frame and start from scratch or replace parts bits at a time until I have it all the way I want it. Then it will be just a quick disassemble, frame clean and paint, then put it back together. That way it won't be apart for so long. And I have less of a chance of forgetting how it goes together?

Thanks again for all the help!

Well, I guess I am just going to have to build a seat. I am going to make it out of fiberglass as that is what I know and I don't have the equipment for sheet metal. Any recommendations for chop vs woven, weight, resin etc? I plan on using aircraft grade. It is a tight weave and when layered correctly directionally it has really good strength and extremely lightweight. I may even lay in a foam core for extral support. Also, glas will be easy to lay in a nut for the latch post.

In other news, I came across an previously removed known good Dyna III electronic ignition. For right now I am going to use the original coils. Unless they go bad don't really see any need to change them. Since she isnt currently running I am going to have to statically time her. Should be a pretty safe ordeal. Done it on cars for years. Got bit once by a '67 Chevy pickup though... Anyways, any suggestions, tips, or "make sure you do this first..." ideas?

Wow, the site changed. I almost didn't know this was the site I had just joined! Anyways, I got her running. The Dyna electronic ignition works perfect. The RH carb was leaking but I found the floats were hitting the accelerator pump ball valve house not allowing the floats to go all the way up. Now it's just some fine tuning of the engine and I will pull it apart to repaint the frame. I actually rode it up and down the street today sitting on a folded up blanket and a couple jumper wires in the canon plugs on the handle bars to connect the ignition circuit.

Update:
Got the dyna IiI installed and timed good. Had a leak in the RH carb for a bit. Finally figured it out. Ended up being the wrong float was in it to begin with so I ordered the same thinking there was a problem with the existing, along with a needle and seat. Then I got a hold of the riders manual and ordered the right one and no leaks!

Adjusted the valves, set the mixture and idle as best I could without a tach. I need to tighten the slack in the timing chain to eliminate some timing variance. I don't ally want to by the tool but if I am going to work on my own bike there's no point in doing it the wrong way.

I'm going to order the Koso DB-01R tach speedo kit for the instruments. I want a really clean look on the handlebars. Made a seat from a piece of 1X8 and a towel so I could putt up and down the street once or twice enough to shift gears and that all operates pretty smooth.

It's going well and I hope to get som new rubber on the wheels. Also they guy I bought it from came through with the original trees, forks, brakes, saddle bag and trunk. Along with a couple sets of engine gaskets! Sweet! Can't wait to get it out on the road for real!

Hi. I have the seat pan off my 75 850T that'll be for sale as soon as i finish my new one. I chopped and sectioned an old gas tank and am using it for a bum-stop. I'd like to make a mold of it and maybe some fiberglass replicas when I'm done. Maybe we can work something out.

Back