• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buongiorno from Milan

turboguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone, I'm Yossef, an Italy based member for a change, I actually live about 40 miles from Mandello in the town of Sesto San giovanni, north of Milan...
Well, where do i start? Been on Guzzis, on and off during much of my riding life (about 45 years....started when i was 16). Rode much other stuff as for about 25 yrs I've been also a motorcycle journo/road tester. From my nickname you can tell that Mandello tractors were always close to my heart, used this nickname forever, even when i was Guzzi-less.

Last time I rode my own 1981 LMIII it was a soggy morning in Milan, circa 2004. A truck stopped before me, I was that tiny bit distracted, locked the front on the wet and down she slid. No major damage, but it looked like she deserved a complete rebuild, so took her apart. You can guess the rest, my LMIII is still in boxes! My meek excuse is that about that time i started to do vintage road racing on self built & tuned bikes and that consumed every free time slot I had for something like 15 years.

On to next chapter. Some months ago, Lorella, my girlfriend came home with an interesting story. She is active in a local community theatre, and she met there a friendly neighbor. Turns out that her husband used to ride and they still own an old Guzzi, and he needs to get rid off to make room in a storage.... Well, we set up a meeting in the lock up place he's got only a few hundred yards from my place, and this is what i saw:

WhatsApp Image 2022 11 19 at 163808 WhatsApp Image 2022 11 19 at 163822

Hi everyone, I'm Yossef, an Italy based member for a change, I actually live about 40 miles from Mandello in the town of Sesto San giovanni, north of Milan... Well, where do i start? Been on Guzzis, on and off during much of my riding life (about 45 years....started when i was 16). Rode much other stuff as for about 25 yrs I've been also a motorcycle journo/road tester.
On to next chapter. Some months ago, Lorella, my girlfriend came home with an interesting story. She is active in a local community theatre, and she met there a friendly neighbor. Turns out that her husband used to ride and they still own an old Guzzi, and he needs to get rid off to make room in a storage.... Well, we set up a meeting in the lock up place he's got only a few hundred yards from my place, and this is what i saw:
Ciao e Buongiorno! LOVE having those from Italia here, and a fellow journo as well! Welcome to the GT Forum, and back (in advance) to the Guzzi Famiglia! The 1000SP was one of my very early rides on a big block Tonti, and after doing a "tune up" service to it, I offered to buy it on the spot. The owner of course declined to sell it at all.
They still always put a smile on my face when I see one. Hope to see you here often, and do post your info on the link below once you have the bike home! Sure you will enjoy it!

Nice to meet you Todd.
Well, to continue the story, Gigi, the owner, bought the bike when it was just a couple of years old. Rode it a bit and when his 3rd child was born, he put is aside, also because he hit a cyclist and broke the front fairing.... that was 30 years ago and since the bike stood in that place... So it's a 1983 1000 SP with 11,000 miles.... you could say that it just finished being run-in. Here she is after a first pressure wash.

WhatsApp Image 2022 12 03 at 223855

Nice to meet you Todd.
Well, to continue the story, Gigi, the owner, bought the bike when it was just a couple of years old. Rode it a bit and when his 3rd child was born, he put is aside, also because he hit a cyclist and broke the front fairing.... that was 30 years ago and since the bike stood in that place... So it's a 1983 1000 SP with 11,000 miles.... you could say that it just finished being run-in. Here she is after a first pressure wash.
Grazie, you as well.
This is fantastic news, and having the story from the owner and why the fairing is missing is good for it's heritage! Yes, 11k miles is just run-in indeed! Hope you have a long wonderful time with it. Look forward to more posts from you on it! Cin cin!

I can understand using a pressure washer to get the fast amount of grunge off the bike. Please refrain from pressure washing again. It will get water into places you don't want it to go. I'd recommend you drop the swing arm and clean up the bearings and also do the same for the steering head bearings. That 40 year old grease should be cleaned out and fresh grease applied.

Sure, but just know that i never use the actual high pressure jet outlet when cleaning bikes.... just the pump itself with a different setup.

I have a special accessory that delivers low pressure spray/soapy mix (from dedicated soap reservoir), it powers also a soft brush add-on. Thats the only way i wash complete bikes. And of course, even then, I never aim at those sensible areas.

Still have a lot to do on it, total lubing job included!

Well, its up and running, running very well actually.

Till i get the cracked original faiirng fixed, put on a GIVI one....

Love the old tractor, only thing i cant stand is the heavy pull of the square carbs, specially on a road like the climb from Mandello to Morterone.... need to find a fix.

WhatsApp Image 2023 02 26 at 080519
WhatsApp Image 2023 02 25 at 133949
WhatsApp Image 2023 02 25 at 133936 1
WhatsApp Image 2023 03 05 at 133327

Last edited:
You could try V65 springs in place of the ones there now. I used those springs when I modified the bell crank system on my LeMans. That external spring on the bell crank was a beast.

tnxs john. eons ago, on advice of the old guzzi mechanics at tecnomotomilano.com, i fitted black plastic tops to the 36 in my LM III and it made a world of difference.

but i hear that people do fit weaker springs to the square ones, but then they dont go down to idle rpm so well... so thinking about a more radical solution.... ;)

I rode the exact same bike red and white as you with the original fairing of course, for 15 years .
Beautiful bike, and confortable .

Hello from Kentucly, you lucky dog. 5 years ago we rented Ducati Multistrasda's in Milan and rode around Lake Como for a cuple of days. Of Course stopping by the MG museum. I fell in the love with the region! You have some beautiful roads to ride! Love the story behind the bike, and congratulations. You know I am going to be partial! Enjoy!!

20220730 091843

nice Hoarder! is it resotred or original? in both cases, amazing!

and i see that like me, your knees hit the fairing lowers too.... didnt stay on for long in my case

what are those tires?

I went with Metzeler Roadtec01, quite happy so far.

Back