• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

C14 Oil Change

Quattroa4m

Tuned and Synch'ed
As you can imagine, the oil change went well, and normally I wouldn't have bored everyone with the specifics of a boring oil change. However, I felt this one might be of interest to everyone. When was the last time you checked how tight your oil filter was AFTER a dealer oil change and before the next one?

I'll jump out there and say, "I never have", but as they say around here, "That's fixin' to change".

I had let the the dealer do the first oil change as is customary and decided, as usual, to do the second oil change myself. Nothing to it, right? Who could screw up an oil change?

When I put the oil filter tool on the filter, the filter felt like it moved. I thought for sure that I just didn't have the filter tool sitting squarely on the filter.

No such luck! The filter tool was sitting where it needed to be. And I was able to unscrew the filter with two fingers.

No leaks, no nothing, the gasket compression must have been right on the ragged edge of being just enough. Probably dodged a bullet on that one, given that if the filter had leaked, the rear tire would have been the target.

I could just visualize myself slinging from side to side, while everyone watching is thinking "There goes another old fool that doesn't know how to ride". And they would be absolutely correct, because I missed that part of the class on "How to ride with an oil soaked tire and look cool doing it".

When was the last time you checked how tight your oil filter was AFTER a dealer oil change and before the next one?

No such luck! The filter tool was sitting where it needed to be. And I was able to unscrew the filter with two fingers.

I think most places (motorcycle dealers, car dealers, etc.) put their lowest skilled people on oil changes and I understand why. But, given this thought, I would have to check each step along the way at the dealer or check and verify everything after getting my bike back.

My filter was on very tight after dealer did 900 mi. First sevice. Here's my question.. I changed the motor oil myself @ 6000 mi. & the tranny oil. Now @ 7000 mi. I have replaced the rear tire & wanted to change the bevel gear oil while the wheel was off. The manual says 400cc of gl5 ? I measured what came out to be appropriately 250 cc. The manual likes to call the tranny the gear box. The manual also calls the rear drive the gear box. Does anyone know the correct amount of gear oil to put into the rear drive (bevel box) ?. I installed 400cc. Then lowered the swing arm to the height of the center of the wheel & gear oil was still below the fill hole ???

My filter was on very tight after dealer did 900 mi. First sevice. Here's my question.. I changed the motor oil myself @ 6000 mi. & the tranny oil. Now @ 7000 mi. I have replaced the rear tire & wanted to change the bevel gear oil while the wheel was off. The manual says 400cc of gl5 ? I measured what came out to be appropriately 250 cc. The manual likes to call the tranny the gear box. The manual also calls the rear drive the gear box. Does anyone know the correct amount of gear oil to put into the rear drive (bevel box) ?. I installed 400cc. Then lowered the swing arm to the height of the center of the wheel & gear oil was still below the fill hole ???

In the Guzzi Manual:
The final drive (bevel box) is 'the transmission' and takes 250cc of GL4.
The gearbox is 'the gearbox' and takes 430cc of GL5.

The 'User Maintenance Book' which came with the bike calls
the 'transmission' the 'gearbox' when listing oil capacity, (typo)
and uses 430cc as the quantity for both.

Stephen

In the Guzzi Manual:
The final drive (bevel box) is 'the transmission' and takes 250cc of GL4.
The gearbox is 'the gearbox' and takes 430cc of GL5.

The 'User Maintenance Book' which came with the bike calls
the 'transmission' the 'gearbox' when listing oil capacity, (typo)
and uses 430cc as the quantity for both.
Thank you for this information. Part of the confusion on my part is the manual on page 51 under maintainance says to top up the gear oil to fill plug #4. I have filled with point .4 liters , less than half liter or 400cc and oil is just near the bottom of the fill hole. This conflicts with the amount (250cc) as you printed above but 250cc is what came out ... today I called 3 dealers, one said to top it up to the fill hole, another is trying to contact Piaggio to find out. I don't want to overfill.

Stephen

Back