• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cafe Racer Magazine modifies the V7C

sign216

High Miler
n the Jan/Feb issue of Cafe Racer magazine they start a project turning the V7C into a cafe racer. In this issue they start slowly, adding an Emgo exhaust, a Fatduc, and handlebars.

http://caferacermag.com/custombikeprojects.html

Dynamometer tests showed gains of 2 to 4 hp in the 3,500 to 5,500 rpm range (my riding area). Peak was the same as stock, but earlier, with performance losses in the upper rpms. I am open to suggestion on why the mods lessened the top end. Perhaps the muffler modification harmed the balance of the factory-tuned exhaust system?

The article also featured a sidebar column "Tuning Small-Block Moto Guzzis" by Ed. That alone made buying the issue an easy decision. I was able to buy the magazine at a local bookstore, or you can start a subscription and buy issues on-line. There are a number of ads from England, so it might be sold retail there too.

Joe

Yeah, I have a subscription. Great magazine. Loved the bit on the new Commando.
I was, however, very disappointed in how low tech and basic their mods to the V7 have been so far. I hope they are going to do it proper eventually. That bike is screaming for a set of cams and hi-comp pistons. It reminds me of the Buell Blast. That bike was pretty weak stock but with a slight bore increase using higher compression piston, cams, and a carb, it was a seriously fun bike.

Yea, there mods were of the "cheap and easy" variety. But they got decent results, and they are easy to copy by any owner. I am happy with their modifications, because they improved the low - midrange rpm area, where I like to ride.

I hope they tackle the airbox, and dyno those results.

Joe

Edit: it's the Feb-March issue of 2010, copy no. 7. I mistakenly said it was the Jan-Feb issue.

Yeah, they got great results for what they spent, but I hope they take it further. And I don't think the motor made less power until 7k rpm, at which point it is done either way. I assume redline is at 8k, but the motor is done by 7 and without some breathing improvements I would not expect that to change. But for all I know, it could be so rich at high rpm that it falls on its face, and they did not do anything yet (Power Commander or whatever) that addresses proper fueling at full throttle (the FatDuc, whether you like it or not, has no effect if the ecu is not listening to the O2 sensor).
But any way, yeah, I think it is good, and I hope they go farther.

As a new member I just have read your post. I have that bike purchased in August 2012 with 2732 miles on it. They added a quarter fairing and race tech shocks and fork springs. It starts, idles, and by seat of the pants dyno runs strong with no flat spots. Fat Duc 02 is only modification that I know they did along with exhaust cams and Emgo pipes. Will post pictures of finished bike when I figure out how. Dan 59

Dan 59 said:
As a new member I just have read your post. I have that bike purchased in August 2012 with 2732 miles on it. They added a quarter fairing and race tech shocks and fork springs. It starts, idles, and by seat of the pants dyno runs strong with no flat spots. Fat Duc 02 is only modification that I know they did along with exhaust cams and Emgo pipes. Will post pictures of finished bike when I figure out how. Dan 59
Dan, welcome the the Forum, and congrats on the bike!
Send me the pics direct e-mail if you can't get them up here.

Dan, do you have the bike Cafe Racer modified? That specific bike?

They also did some crude airbox work. I thought they got very good results for not much money.

Yes exactly, I added replica retro Ducati bar end mirrors and tank bag, I thought it was a one of a kind and with 2732 miles and 7400.00 dollars a pretty good buy. I get a lot of compliments on it, wish I could say I did it all myself. Anyone in the Atlanta metro are?

:roll: I know this is an old post but the quote about losing upper rpm performance may be down to the tuned length of the exhaust system as the shorter it gets the less torque at higher rpm as far as I remember get the right length and yer laughing all the way to the red line :cool: . On the plus side if it is shorter it should rev free'er / harder mid range :laugh:
sign216 said:
n the Jan/Feb issue of Cafe Racer magazine they start a project turning the V7C into a cafe racer. In this issue they start slowly, adding an Emgo exhaust, a Fatduc, and handlebars.

http://caferacermag.com/custombikeprojects.html

Dynamometer tests showed gains of 2 to 4 hp in the 3,500 to 5,500 rpm range (my riding area). Peak was the same as stock, but earlier, with performance losses in the upper rpms. I am open to suggestion on why the mods lessened the top end. Perhaps the muffler modification harmed the balance of the factory-tuned exhaust system?

The article also featured a sidebar column "Tuning Small-Block Moto Guzzis" by Ed. That alone made buying the issue an easy decision. I was able to buy the magazine at a local bookstore, or you can start a subscription and buy issues on-line. There are a number of ads from England, so it might be sold retail there too.

Joe

Thanks you to all who contribute to this forum!!!

After reading this I bought the fat-duc and the emgo shorty pipes for the 2011 7 Classic that I picked up a week ago as my around town bike. The bike is totally transformed with these two mods completed in less than 30 minutes. My impression of the emgos with the mechanical baffles was very positive. I have put aftermarket exhaust on every bike I have owned and routinely paid near 1000 and I am a fan of Arrow as this is what I have on my and my wife's, Street Triples.

I guess due to the fact the bike only makes 50hp I could not rationalize spending that much on the pipes, so I gave the emgos a shot expecting them to be of a lesser build quality and ill fitting. Nothing could have been further from the truth, the chrome is excellent the fit and finish is very good. I didn't bother adding the screws that modify the mechanical baffle by routing the exhaust completely through the baffle. I didn't regret leaving it open to announce their presence.

The Fat-Duc installed in all of 1 minute and the quality for what it is also good.I didn't ride the bike with the Fat-Duc prior to installing the pipes, it was all at once.

Upon firing the bike up and warming it up as usual, I went for the first run and the bike was incredibly responsive and sounded amazing. If feels like a 50hp 400lb V -twin bike should. Torquey, willing and with a beautiful growl.

I am sure that more expensive pipes and other emulators will do the job very well also, but for me I am thrilled with the instant improvement that these two made to my bike for $200. In fact after owning a total of ten motorcycles over the years and modifying all in varying degrees, I would say this is the most effective $200 ever spent.

Thanks cafe racer and thanks to all who post so much invaluable info in this forum.

2011 V7 Classic
1700 miles
Fat-Duc Optimizer
Emgo Shorty Pipes
Pirelli Sport Demons

colby22 said:
Thanks you to all who contribute to this forum!!! After reading this I bought the fat-duc and the emgo shorty pipes for the 2011 7 Classic that I picked up a week ago...
Congrats(!) and thanks for the post. be sure to add your info to the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=215&t=9108

Glad to hear you're happy with your mods. I offer a real circuit-boarded 02-optimizer in the store here, as opposed to the $3 variable resistor that FD sells, just FYI. For the FD, only the pre-'13 model years does it work on... mine work on '09 to current, it just requires two on the newer machines, so at that cost, best to just do the ECU flash; Fuel & Timing revisions for cold start, detonation and related.

Enjoy your machine!

Back