• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali 1100 EV misfiring

Greenwich

Just got it firing!
Hi - I have a 2012 Cali EV that is misfiring and popping and backfiring horribly, especially between 2,000 and 4,500 rpm. I've checked valve clearances and put in new plugs. It is also losing battery charge quickly despite apparently charging OK. Does anyone has any ideas? My next thought was timing, but I don't know how to approach that...

Thanks

Seb

I believe Todd is correct on the running issue. For the battery drain, Have you checked the running voltage? If running voltage is good, but drops quickly after shutting down, you may have a parasitic drain. If this is the case, install an ammeter between the positive terminal to the battery and the bike's wiring. Note the amount of drain. Then isolate circuits one at a time (this can be done by removing a fuse) until the drain is eliminated. You then know which circuit to inspect and correct.

Thanks both. I have a multimeter that seems to show reasonable charge when running at 5k - something like 13.5 volts. But after doing 100 miles yesterday, I got home to find it would hardly start and the battery (which has been tested and is good) was at 10.5 volts!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a TPS? And as to a parasitic drain, where might I attach the end of the ammeter that isn't on the battery - you say to the bike's wiring. Would that be to an earth, ie the frame?

Seb

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor - a search here or here; http://archive.guzzitech.com -- will be of help. Also search battery drain here, and you will also see that even a "new" battery (which could be 3+ years old already), is likely nearing the end of it's service life. Newer batteries have limited allowable lead content, hence a short service life. I'd recommend a load test from a battery shop, and replace it if necessary, and that will resolve that issue for you.

Seb, Seems you have much to learn about electronics. A parasitic drain, is current draining the battery when it shouldn't. To detect that drain, you disconnect the positive terminal and place an ammeter between the battery and bike wiring to see if there is current flow (amps). With the key off, there shouldn't be any on your bike. Other bikes will have some as the ECU and other components may have a clock or other function always live. This web site was provided in another thread and may be of help to you. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/

John - thankyou, I understand the notion of a parasitic drain, but you haven't answered my question of where exactly I attach the ammeter to "the bike's wiring". I'd appreciate that.

Seb, Seems you have much to learn about electronics. A parasitic drain, is current draining the battery when it shouldn't. To detect that drain, you disconnect the positive terminal and place an ammeter between the battery and bike wiring to see if there is current flow (amps). With the key off, there shouldn't be any on your bike. Other bikes will have some as the ECU and other components may have a clock or other function always live. This web site was provided in another thread and may be of help to you. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/

Ignition off and leave it off. First set your ammeter to the 10 amp range (assuming it is a multimeter). Then disconnect the wire that goes to the positive battery terminal, then place one lead of your ammeter to the positive battery terminal and the other lead of your ammeter to the wire you just removed and observe any current flowing, you will have to drop the range of the meter down very low to observe any drain, hopefully you see zero. Do not attempt to start the bike with the meter in series with the battery like this otherwise you will damage the meter. My Breva has a drain of only 2 mA and that is the inbuilt alarm LED that flashes every couple of seconds. With my ign turned on there is a drain of about 5A,

I just re-read your post. 13.5v @5k RPM is too low. There's an issue there, my bet is a voltage regulator which has been plaguing the newer V7's lately. What do you have at idle? It's a newer bike, so even a faulty/dirty TPS is unlikely, but could be. Since you have a 15RC ECU, you'll need the diagnostic software to troubleshoot and reset the TPS as it is electronic reset only. Also you might have a faulty 02-sensor, which could cause running issues like you describe. Additionally, is the bike still al stock? Even if so, fueling corrections are highly recommended; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzitech-power-commander-v-information.2686/

Thanks for all the advice. I've now had it looked at by a Guzzi mechanic who says he has identified an intermittent charging fault at low revs and so is going to replace the rectifier. Let's see if that sorts it out.

Just a thought here but I'd consider replacing the battery, in my experience once a battery has gone flat even just once they never seem to hold a full charge again and can cause all sorts of problems.

Back