• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali 111 handling

Drumnagorrach

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi folks
I had a couple of Guzzi's, a T3 Cali and a 96 Sport 1100,that was about 4 years ago. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Cali 111 a 1988 ,while I really like the bike,I am a bit unnerved by it's reaction to grooves,running in the direction of travel,in the road.The bike snakes ,feels like it has a hinge in the middle. I can find no play in bearings or forks,so wondered if the tyre combination could be the culprit- pirelli sport demon front.Bridgestone B45 Battleaxe rear.
I don't find the Cali 11 as nimble as the T3 was, nowhere near as good a handler as the sport,but a nice torquey engine,it's a bit of a project,which I am riding as I tidy it up.
Any suggestions ,maybe the Cali 11 needs a few mods to get it to handle as well as a T3 ? or there is a good stable tyre conbination that suits this long heavy lump.
Cheers
Lee

Mixing brands/profiles is never a good thing. BT 45s front and rear would do well, as would Metzler ME 880s if you want a high mileage tire. The CA III is very susceptible to road irregularities, and it not uncommon to get some head shake if you bounce something in a curve, but just relax and it will settle out. Considering the bikes age, I'd consider upgrading the rear shocks as worn shocks can make it feel like you have a front end problem. A good set of economical Ikons would probably help the suspension a great deal.

Not only tyre make, but tyre size will also make a difference. The Cali III is basically similar to the Spada III, and on mine, I found putting a 100/90 front on instead of the original 110/90 made a huge difference. I used to have to fight it on every corner.
Did not the cali III have Konis fitted, which can be refurbished with Ikon parts.

Tyres? Maybe, but I've never had a problem with my Cali III. Its a little bit slower to change direction than other Tonti models but that's because its a big fat b*rstard with 60kg more than a LM III. :shock: The bigger profile tyres slow it down as well but mine has never quivered, shaken or twitched its head. :cool: I have never read that this is a trait of the Cali III before either. :roll:

Never heard of any issues like this with Sport Demons. BT45 rears are rock solid, if not a bit soft wearing despite the dual compound. I've never really understood the issue about differing brands or models of tyres from front to rear. If you look at most tyres the front has a totally different pattern to the rear anyway despite the nomenclature on the sidewall. How does the rear tyre know that there is something different on the front and then decide to misbehave? If a front gives a wobble then I think it would do that no matter what is on the rear. IMO it has more to do with weight distribution and suspension set up. :cool:

The Cali III has the Tonti frame, similar to the Lemans 1000. I can see no reason for it to handle less than perfectly and in some cases, in the real world, it will handle better than either of my LM III's due to its stability and mass.

One thing to check is all the frame mounting bolts, INCLUDING, the 6 bolts that hold the battery tray to the frame and gearbox. If even one of them is loose then it can cause the symptoms you describe.

Quote from The Hairy Bikers "Something I prepared earlier:" http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Cali+III+called+Stew.

Have a read through the 3 parts. May have some clues for you.

Cheers

Rod

Morizzi said:
I've never really understood the issue about differing brands or models of tyres from front to rear.
Rod

It is the issue of tire profile. That is the shape of the carcass. If the profiles are not compatible, you can get handling issues. You can match brands if profiles work together. You can put ME33 fronts with may makes of rear tires, but that is the only front tire I know of that works well with other brands of tires.

Thanks chaps.
I thought it had a Tonti frame,but maybe the longer swinging arm mucked things up a bit.
I will look at new rear shocks,and check the frame bolts. I wondered about the steering damper, mine is totally worn out. I should mention that my Cali is a C.I. so the huge fairing covers the damper and it's just been left to rot in it's mountings. I can feel the steering" fall in "to low speed corners,maybe a damper would prevent that,or just mask an other fault!
Good article, I too am trying to come to terms with the handlebars ( closest thing to wheelbarrow handles )not sure if they will stay,but seeing as there were only 570 of these particular variations made I sort of feel responsible for keeping it standard, even growing to like the ugly fairing,it certainly keeps the cold Scottish wind off.
Cheers
Lee

Lee,

My Cali III does not like BT45's. Make the thing very sensitive to lines and grooves.
Threw them of because of it and replaced them for Michelin's, Macadams.

Bike handles fine now.

Frederik

Frederik
Usefull input, did you stick to standard sizes ?
I had macadams on my sport 1100,but then that cornered like it was on rails.
Cheers
Lee

Here it is, possibly the ugliest guzzi made,but I am begining to like the look of it.

Attachments

• Saddles for sale spring 2011 043.jpg
    Saddles for sale spring 2011 043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
Back