• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali 1400 starting

I bought mine used so I could sell it at not a lot of loss. It is still in the garage and no for sale signs. I did the same with a 2010 BMW R1200GS year before last. Purchased in March, for sale in September, lost a fortune when it finally sold in December. As for the list of problems you posted I fixed the starting in under a half hour by cleaning the ground cable and so far my water problems are confined to my saddlebags. I have posted the problems mine does have. Past experience has shown Guzzi customer service to be almost non-existent. The dealer may try but his hands are tied by the need to get the company to pay. My next request is to get the pulsing from probably a warped brake rotor to stop and maybe get my $600 optional 50L trunk to latch the handle down.

Believe it or not...Nope....It helps if you have a dealer close to you....From what I have heard MG has corrected most of the issues...
The bike is incredible to ride....In fact a brand new Indian owner friend of mine..admitted perhaps he should have gone Cali...

What headaches?

In the 1 year+ I have owned my Custom I have put almost 6000 miles on it.

Will get at least another year form the rear Dunlop, probably 3 years from the front. I am a spirited rider but I don't smoke 'em at every light either.

Headers have barely blued.

Only issues I had were rather small and rideable - rear fender frame (part came in in less than a week), exhaust covers losing screws.
No big deal, all warranty covered.

I could write a book on the issues I've had with other new vehicles I've owned in the past 40+ years, the worst was '92 ? GM V6 Vortec motor (new to the model year I think) that blew a rod with less that 1K on the clock. Talk about engineering disasters.....

For its class it is a relatively inexpensive motorcycle - and I think it is worth the fun factor investment, and it looks great too !

My Custom has performed admirably and has done everything I have asked of it without hesitation.

Don't put cheapo gas in it - like my dealer put in the demo I test rode. 91 or preferably 93 octane. I get from 43-47 mpg.

F14

Per my earlier post I am still having starting problems only mine seem to be only when cold. I cleaned the ground terminals last year and it seemed to be better. This spring I was getting it again but I attributed it to a low battery. I installed a new one cleaning the posts and coating them with an electrical conductive spray made to improve contact and prevent corrosion. I was still getting it on occasion and almost always when cold. I just did the 12,000 mile tune tonight and I removed and cleaned up the ground again by the starter. Took about 6 hits on the starter button before I got turn over. Hit it again and fine.
Nobody else has this on a 1400? I am starting to thing the starter is hanging up like on the other models. Does this sound right, I get a loud click when I try and start it but I have never had the presence of mind to feel the starter.

While I had the bike on the lift I decided to see if the starter was sticking. I took the cover off and while touching the starter I hit the starter button. To my amazement sparks flew. While I had taken apart and cleaned tightened and sealed all the grounds I had not looked at the positive. The nut holding the positive cable to the starter was backed off and the washer had arcing marks on it. I wire brushed everything, hit it with De-Ox, replaced the nut and washer, tightened it all then spayed corrosion protectant on it. I shoved the rubber cover back on and hopefully that was the problem.

What headaches?

My Custom has performed admirably and has done everything I have asked of it without hesitation.

Don't put cheapo gas in it - like my dealer put in the demo I test rode. 91 or preferably 93 octane. I get from 43-47 mpg.

F14

I'm amazed at the 43-47 MPG. I've only got 900 miles on mine and I get 35 on a good tank. Is it really going to jump that much once she breaks in?

Don't know about 47 but mine started in the mid to high 30's and currently gets about 42-44. Changed a couple of mpg to the good when the last map was loaded also. Always highest octane available. Normally 93.

Don't trust the on board computer for accurate MPG, although its +/- within a few MPGs.
My readings are the old way, ie reset the counter at each fill and save the receipt, then do the math.
I did notice that when it gets close to a service interval my MPG drops below 40. I'm thinking widened SP gaps, Valve gaps and dirty oil and filter contribute to lower MPG.
F14

LoL, yes true, I have been heavy on the throttle for 40+ years and too set in my ways to change but I must admit I only ride in warm and hot weather, its my only option where I live.
Food for thought though, my company vehicle's contract (GE Fleet) maintenance schedule states that my mileage can decrease up to 5% if the oil and filter aren't changed per the schedule (now up to 10K mile intervals). I'd Google it if I cared more but the oil companies are probably footing the bill for the research so we can all go out and buy more oil. YMMV

Back