• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali EV misfire?

essexboydave

Tuned and Synch'ed
I took my Cali EV out for a little winter ride yesterday and it ran fine through the country lanes and villages but when I picked up the main road back home it was fine for around 10 miles at 70mph but when I increased it to 80mph after about a mile I noticed what may be a misfire as the bike would momentarily feel like it was cutting out but then carry on again. It was fine again when I slowed to 70mph but it almost felt like a slight heat seizure like you can get on old 2-strokes when you thrash them but the bike certainly showed no signs of anything unusual afterwards. It has recently had all the oils changed and new air filter and inlet rubbers, anyone got any ideas what it could have been?

See if you can replicate the fault. With all the rain you guys have had moisture may have gotten where you don't want it.

These are always tough to diagnose via the internet, but my thoughts... start by double checking your work. Something could be amiss in the air box, or a pinched tank vent line, or a coil wire not fully seated come to mind. Does your EV have a in-tank or out of tank fuel pump? Check your charging system and battery condition as well. Often electrical issues can come across as fuel issues. Post again on your findings.

I've checked for pinched fuelpipes and the like and can't find anything wrong there but the problem has now got worse, the bike is fine in neutral but once I try to ride it it kind of stutters as you pull away, this seems to be on about 1/4 throttle though and clears if I give it more throttle. If it was a carburettor bike I'd be looking for blocked pilot jets but I don't know what to look at on the injectors. The battery seems ok but I will check for dodgy connections as the damp could well have got in, I'll also chuck some new spark plugs in just in case one of those is giving up on me!
I'm pretty stuck now until next weekend as I'm off to work later and won't get a chance to look at the bike before Saturday :(

Simple one, check your fuses as well.

I've encountered those latest symptoms from a bad TPS. It might be worth taking a close look there.

john zibell said:
I've encountered those latest symptoms from a bad TPS. It might be worth taking a close look there.
Good one John, forgot that as well.

I've done a bit of digging around online and from what I've read it looks like the TPS could be the problem so thanks for pointing me in that direction :) Reading up on it though it looks expensive and possibly beyond what I can do at home-especially since I'm working on the bike outside and don't have the software to check out this stuff :(

essexboydave said:
I've done a bit of digging around online and from what I've read it looks like the TPS could be the problem so thanks for pointing me in that direction :) Reading up on it though it looks expensive and possibly beyond what I can do at home-especially since I'm working on the bike outside and don't have the software to check out this stuff :(
I can get you the much cheaper HD TPS replacement, and with a good digital voltmeter you can get it set up properly. Let me know if I can be of help.

Cheers for that, not sure I've quite got my head round it yet but I'm sure I will-or ask alot of questions until I do ;)
I've been on the phone to a Guzzi dealer not too far from where I work and they say a new TPS will be around £200, apparently there are 2 different types so I have to see if I have the big or the small one. They have advised me to carefully check all the wiring, the rest of the ignition system, and change the spark plugs first though as they do say there is more chance of a problem there than in the TPS plus it rules out all the cheaper options first :)

If you narrow things down to the TPS, contact your nearest Harley Davidson dealer and ask for this part. 27271-95
It is used on 1995-2000 Electra Glide Models.

Nice one mate :) When I was reading up on the TPS I'd come across some American sites that said about using a Harley part as it was a fraction of the price, $88 if I remember right-now let's see if it's that cheap over here ;)

It looks like my volt meter should be accurate enough to get the readings I need but can anyone tell me the best way to check them? I'm a bit unsure where I should be putting the meter probes and I really don't want to do something that screws up the ECU.

essexboydave said:
It looks like my volt meter should be accurate enough to get the readings I need but can anyone tell me the best way to check them? I'm a bit unsure where I should be putting the meter probes and I really don't want to do something that screws up the ECU.

There are three wires in the connector to the ECU. Back Probe the two outside wires. I use pieces of safety wire to pack probe, and alligator clips on my meter probes. If you are reading negative voltage, just switch the leads at the meter. You may need to pick the yellow paint out of the Torx (T-20) screw heads. Be careful as these screws are soft and easily damaged. I usually pull the starter to have more room to work. They can be replaced by Allen screws. Check in the archive for their size.

Latest update on this is that I prepared myself to do all the checks on the TPS but then thought I'd go over the easy (and cheap) options again so cleaned all the electrical terminals, cleaned the throttle linkages and gave it all a good spray with WD40, tried another new set of spark plugs and I'm hoping that has cured the problem! I haven't had the chance to give it a decent run yet but I did give it a ride across town and back down the by-pass so it got around 15 miles of mixed riding and it ran way better :)
It still doesn't seem quite right at small throttle openings in low gears but talking to a few people it seems I might be expecting too much as I've been told that the fuel injected bikes are never going to be quite as smooth as my old Spada 1000 was and definitely not as smooth and predictable as my other ride the Suzuki GSX1400 is.

I've found a correctly set up FI bike is as smooth or smoother than a bike with carbs. Once you get the electric situation sorted, go over the throttle body sync and you should be good.

Cheers mate :) I ran into the previous owner the other day and found that he never serviced the bike in the whole time he had it so maybe it's fortunate that he didn't put alot of miles on it! I'm expecting to find a number of neglect issues now!

essexboydave said:
Cheers mate :) I ran into the previous owner the other day and found that he never serviced the bike in the whole time he had it so maybe it's fortunate that he didn't put alot of miles on it! I'm expecting to find a number of neglect issues now!

Time to go over everything. Good luck.

Some years ago, I spent a lot of time with my '01 Stone going over various suggested fixes. The HD TPS solved everything immediately.

With the money I saved by buying the HD TPS vs MG TPS, I bought the Centurion software from Todd. which has been worth every cent for servicing my Stone and Breva 1100.

Back