• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Calif 1400 Muffler Mods?

treetop flyer

Just got it firing!
Has anyone had the experience of replacing there stock exhaust with Mistral or other. it looks like separating the muffler from the flex mesh pipe is a trick . can someone give me any ideas .thank you, Don

Has anyone had the experience of replacing there stock exhaust with Mistral or other. it looks like separating the muffler from the flex mesh pipe is a trick . can someone give me any ideas .thank you, Don

The first time you remove the stock mufflers you will probably need to use some penetrating lubricant.

Also, what *really* helps is if you try and rotate each exhaust left/right around its axis (after lubing of course.)

Good luck.

Thanks Guys for your response .it looks like it may be easier to drop the whole exhaust and work on it..

Hi TreeTop,

It has been a few weeks, and I think you are already there with the exhaust project. I needed to remove my muffler after only one thousand miles, so penetrating oil was not necessary. However, I still had to get the mufflers off the header pipes. I found that a 24" (or so) 2x3 against the joint of the muffler and a wack with a hammer worked wonderfully. I would consider penetrating oil as well as some muffler rotation in your case in addition to using the tool I suggest in the accompanying photograph. Naturally, I applied a coat of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant before reassembling them.

Attachments

• exhaust_muffler_removal_tool.jpg
    exhaust_muffler_removal_tool.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 38
Hi TreeTop,

It has been a few weeks, and I think you are already there with the exhaust project. I needed to remove my muffler after only one thousand miles, so penetrating oil was not necessary. However, I still had to get the mufflers off the header pipes. I found that a 24" (or so) 2x3 against the joint of the muffler and a wack with a hammer worked wonderfully. I would consider penetrating oil as well as some muffler rotation in your case in addition to using the tool I suggest in the accompanying photograph. Naturally, I applied a coat of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant before reassembling them.
Hi Dennisj thank u for that .I haven't done anything as of yet,my muffler is on good,someone told me to apply heat with a torch and try twisting it .i just don't want to break anything,everything cost big on this machine .

Treetop, I don't see the model bike you own listed in your profile, only that you live in Dracut MA. I was up in Russell (near Springfield) for the MA MGNOC Rally this past August, very nice riding up there (in the western part of MA). You might consider adding some detail to your profile, or adding a signature line to your posts, listing your ride.

So, I don't know what year your Cali 1400 is. If it is a recent model then you should have no real rust or corrosion to deal with. All the same, if you need the best penetrant, go with KROIL. I've also used K&W "Knock'er Loose Penetrant" with good success, but NOTHING beats KROIL. By the way, WD-40 is not really a penetrant, it was designed as a water displacer back in war times under government contract, fact is "WD-40" was the fortieth formula, the one that worked best and won the contract for the company.

Adding heat has two effects, usually it is used to loosen rust encrusted, or badly corroded bolts. In this case it only works if you make the metal parts glow at least red, but normally you go to white hot. The second use, the one you are shooting for, will be to expand the muffler collar a bit to aid in getting it to slip off the header pipe. In this case an even application of heat from a torch should be used and no where near the level of discoloring the metal. Be careful, heat a little, try to get them separated, if they don't move heat a little more and try to persuade the parts to separate again.

Lastly, if you have a torque wrench use it to check and thereby determine the torque to which the "side clamps" were installed (Piaggio's part description, see pg. 25 of workshop manual B043157). According to specs, the clamps should be torqued to 36 ft. lbs., when I checked mine one of them was dead loose and rattling, the other one was torqued to 90 ft. lbs. It was the over torqued side that gave me trouble during muffler removal. As you can see, over torquing these clamps can also affect the later removal. I've found that torquing my side clamps to 28 ft. lbs. is sufficient. I check them often and have never found one to loosen up in 12,500 miles.

As for the cost of "everything", no kidding. When I was riding up in New England, I rode into the wonderful state of New Hampshire where the whiskey is discounted. You are lucky to live so close to such a great state. I used to buy Vanwinkle Bourbon, the 12 year, for years I would buy it for $50/bottle. When it went to $100 I stopped buying it for about a year, the next time I looked, none could be found. Single Malt Scotch is even worse, all of my favorites have inflated their prices by at least 40%, some have doubled.

Good luck. I ride North quite a lot. Next trip will be to the New Hampshire MGNOC Rally, Randy is the sponsor, such a cool guy. That one is in early May. One of the things I love about these Californias is that they are good cool weather rides.

Den.

Hi Den .well it worked ,I sprayed the pipes and they came apart easier than I figured. I just ordered the mistrial pipes so life is good can't wait till spring .thanks for the help. Don

Cool. I'm happy things went smoothly for you.

Man those Mistrials are beautiful. Please let us know the fit and finish, maybe even a comment about included instructions. Are you getting full exhaust, including headers, or just mufflers? I know those mufflers will have to come off every time a back tire is changed. Don't forget the Anti-Seize on the header to muffler flange.

Please share some feedback; that would be nice, for everybody.

Cool. I'm happy things went smoothly for you.

Man those Mistrials are beautiful. Please let us know the fit and finish, maybe even a comment about included instructions. Are you getting full exhaust, including headers, or just mufflers? I know those mufflers will have to come off every time a back tire is changed. Don't forget the Anti-Seize on the header to muffler flange.

Please share some feedback; that would be nice, for everybody.

Dennis,

I had the Mistral Carbon mufflers on my California when I bought it. They were nice, about half the weight of the OEM mufflers and had a nice sound to them in my opinion. But, in the end, I sold them because of the additional noise. I learned a long time ago that noise wears a person down when riding. I put the stock mufflers back on and have been happy ever since.

Has anyone modified the standard mufflers? I run leather bags and am happy with the look of the stock items, but would like a bit more noise....... any ideas?

Has anyone modified the standard mufflers? I run leather bags and am happy with the look of the stock items, but would like a bit more noise....... any ideas?

I had Todd do mine. Cut them open, pulled out the cats and punched the baffles. They look bone stock but have a pleasing rumble without the harsh bark of the aftermarket muffs

I had Todd do mine. Cut them open, pulled out the cats and punched the baffles. They look bone stock but have a pleasing rumble without the harsh bark of the aftermarket muffs
Any photos of before and after - or when they were getting done. I'm in Australia so will need to get done locally

Hi Buzz, found the youtube clip of your bike - sounds better than stock. Have you had any issues since the modifications?

Hi Buzz, found the youtube clip of your bike - sounds better than stock. Have you had any issues since the modifications?

Rocco is my dog's name! No issues at all. The muffs look and sound great and look totally stock.

There is a thread here from Clayton who posted about doing it himself.

I had Todd do mine because I don't have the equipment or skill to do it right.

Any photos of before and after - or when they were getting done. I'm in Australia so will need to get done locally

Rocco, I have been thinking of getting mine done and a few people have said Redline at Edwardstown are very good. I will try and get in there one day and see what they say.

Back