• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 mods

Tuono

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does any-one if there is a high flow air filter for the Cali 1400?

Regards

Tuono

Sure is, and I have them in stock. Contact me direct if you want one.

Thanks Todd will do so, any other recommendations or modifications before I do as I don't get to pickup until next week

Regards

Tuono

Tuono said:
Thanks Todd will do so, any other recommendations or modifications before I do as I don't get to pickup until next week.
Same as the other 8Vs. Fueling mods, open the air box lid and exhaust. The 7SM ECU also allows impressive adjustability, including allowing full power to the rear wheels, which *none* of the maps as delivered allow. The new motor is impressive once allowed to breathe.
Ping me direct with any questions now that you have it.

Just took the Ca. Touring out for a spin this Saturday.

Had a 2010 Ca. Vintage 2 valver and got rid of it way to soon.

So I was back to taste the flavor again.Currently i have a 2014 BMW GS which is a awesome bike.
But the missing Guzzi left a whole in me in a number of ways.

Rode the touring and was very impressed with the motor and transmission simply brilliant.
I weigh 240lbs and was riding on some uneven pavement and the bike didnt seem that comfortable with the road.
Checked out rear suspension and was let down that they werent the same as the CA. Custom.
felt the bike wallowed some. The shocks were very basic with just spring pre load adjustment, where as the Custom has a remote resavoir, rebound control and a progessive spring. From what i understand a little more ride height which puts a little move load on the quick turning front end.

I-am going back and going to take the Custom out for a demo on Monday.
Has any one else noticed the softer rear end?

Iam going either buy the Custom and put a smaller shield, two up seat, and some lights and go with soft bags, or dish out for Penskes on the Touring.
Todd what do you know about Customs rear suspension, any feed back?

Cheers,

Joe

Test rode the 1400 Custom today and bought it, rear suspension much better then the touring, bought another seat, windscreen, and lights for it.
Proper test ride tomorrow.

You love ya Beemer, but can't face life without a Guzzi in the garage. I think it's time you had a blood test.
Me thinks you got Mandello marrow in them bones.

wforider said:
Test rode the 1400 Custom today and bought it, rear suspension much better then the touring, bought another seat, windscreen, and lights for it. Proper test ride tomorrow.
Congrats! Yes, the Custom has a longer travel rear shocks with remote res, and is pretty impressive out of the box. The Touring, has a dumbed down version with no damping adjustments. Good move on the purchase... look forward to your words/thoughts.

Here is some thoughts that i posted in another forum>

Thanks, but The Custom gets all the cool mojo.

Bought 1400 2 nights ago and came home on a busy freeway, dont think i would felt comfortable in a armored truck let
alone a brand new ride that night.

I live close to a section of road thats winds about 8 miles long, allot of 35mph with good open turns, clean and mostly smooth pavement.
I know the road very well, many GS runs, Multistradas and a Stratoliner in the past ( i worked at a BMW shop in Central Ca. for 10 years).

before I took the custom out i felt the rear end was a little stiff. I took a complete turn out of each spring and backed out the rebound 12 clicks from all the way in.
I think the rebound was set at 15 out.
Driving through town and on the freeway on and off ramps the felt very stable yet compliant .
Got on the twisties , the bike just attacked the turns, smooth transitions from corner to corner. The gear box shifting and the low end power pulling through the turns was incredible ….This coming from a cruiser bike was intoxicating.. i set the floor boards down twice, with the plastic underneath feelers (vrs the hard rubber on the older Ca. Vintage) gave way to a very comfortable scraping , very non threating feel. With the lower CG i was tracking solidly through the turns, it felt better then my GS. Of course the GS would kick its booty on a rougher road.
Iam 6'2" riding compartment was a little tight for me but the bike responsed so well I had grins all morning.
Had some rain on the way home so i thought i would try the rain mode, throttle is relaxed a fair amount but gives a even smoother ride to the rider. Tried the Veloace mode and deemed it not necessary, one may use it on a track day or chasing down some metrics..lol Hits kinda hard ,and loose some smoothness. The touring mode will work for 90% of your riding.

I orderd a gel seat rear ( for wife) rack, engine guards light kit from AF-1wind Screen for about $1400.00 got a discont from the dealer, I will use my soft RKA bags which i run on the GS as well for luggage. So i saved some coin going with the custom plus a got the adjustable suspension that comes on the custom. Is it the best controlled set up no. But it works well, you feel the bike, its History and character …I love it. I would try some penskes maybe next year.

I do take a bit of a beating with no wind screen, look forward to the mid size screen from AF-1. But finding the right wind screen is something like finding the perfect girlfriend, you have to try a few.
Kool bike great motor and power,best transmission of any bike i have had, handling like a dirt tracker, cuts a apex right out of a turn.

So how many 1400's out here Goose land?
Do you have the Touring or Custom.

Just to sum it up, the bike really surprized me, it was a little hard to believe the praises one reads from the magazines about the its abilities of it on the road. But its true.
Very Happy

Cheers,
Joe

Ghezzi, very true, always had a love affair the MG.
The heritage, the quirks the performance, the people.

Wanted something to compliment my Beemer, it was sooo not HD, was going to look at the Indian seriously but what woud i have something that looks like a HD. Tried the Yamaha Stratoliner, not bad even rode coast to coast on it.
No corning clearance, i would throw spark s through a standard intecsection for Cripes sake. Battled the under frame shock and even got one of the last Ohlins made for that bike, but still it was a big turd pushing around on the highways.

The 1400 came around at the right time. I just hope it gets a fair shake from the public…
Hopes the public at least checks them out properly .

Joe

Well it rained here today, didnt do much with the bike, adjusted the bars up a bit.

Did take it out around 4:30, medium damp roads, Traction control was on the setting two,, low medium throttle had a small slip the TC did its job…that torque sneaks up on ya…

Really digging the bike,

Here is the shield iam getting http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/ ... duct=57036

Cheers ,

Joe

Todd just checking what would be the best set up for the 1400 in shocks.
Iam gussing Penske, but what shock would it be in their line up.

My shop says they have suspension shop they use in washingtion and could make a set for 2k.

would it be the same stuff you have.
Would like to make a recommendation and a comparison basically of the penske and the stock custom suspension.

Thanks,
Joe

I'm becoming more and more interested in this bike. Heard nothing but good reviews on it. I'm currently on a Norge which I love, but I'm a cruiser guy from way back. Had a couple of bassas and loved them, I hear this 1400 is even better handling, which is really saying something for a cruiser in my book.
FYI, Jamie Elvidge of Cycle World just completed a three bike comparo (Indian Chief, HD Heritage Classic and Custom 1400). Suffice it to say, she LOVED the Goose! Her article will be coming out in an few weeks but I got a little inside pre-info from her ;)
Any ideas for big saddle bags for the Custom? If I make the move it'll have to be the Custom for several reasons, better shocks and finances, not particularly in that order.

wforider said:
I am gussing Penske, but what shock would it be in their line up.
My shop says they have suspension shop they use in washingtion and could make a set for 2k.
Would like to make a recommendation and a comparison basically of the penske and the stock custom suspension.
Hi Joe, sorry I missed this. Always best to email me direct.
I have a couple of options to offer depending on your budget. Gazi, Penske, RT & (soon to be launched) Matris.
I'll send you a note direct.

JoeFaz said:
I'm becoming more and more interested in this bike. Heard nothing but good reviews on it. I'm currently on a Norge which I love, but I'm a cruiser guy from way back. Had a couple of bassas and loved them, I hear this 1400 is even better handling, which is really saying something for a cruiser in my book.
FYI, Jamie Elvidge of Cycle World just completed a three bike comparo (Indian Chief, HD Heritage Classic and Custom 1400). Suffice it to say, she LOVED the Goose! Her article will be coming out in an few weeks but I got a little inside pre-info from her ;) Any ideas for big saddle bags for the Custom? If I make the move it'll have to be the Custom for several reasons, better shocks and finances, not particularly in that order.
I'm great friends with Jamie. I rode the exact one she did, the very first time she rode it at/for Cycle World earlier last year. I was supposed to go test with her, but I was already booked. She loved it then too.

A few friends who are big Tonti fans (me included), find the new Cali 1400 pretty fun outside of it's curb weight, which is certainly a big turn off for many. That said (and as I mentioned in my review HERE), it doesn't feel it once you're moving. I'll be adding one to my stable for the new rental business (if it comes together, though it's moving nicely along), which you can get an extended test ride on if you'd like.
For the bags, the factory versions are about all I've stumbled on. Seem to run about $1k. :dry:

GT-Rx® said:
For the bags, the factory versions are about all I've stumbled on.

I disliked the factory panniers so much, I chose not to fit them. IMHO, they are too filmsy, and like the Cali Vintage, cannot be easily removed without leaving horrible brackets exposed.

Instead, I've fitted soft bags from Nelson-Rigg, the CL-855 Touring saddlebags. Only used them once, but there is no footprint when they are removed. Also got a rear pack (which I mount on the rear of the seat) and a Tank Bag from the same manufacturer. Their quality is impressive.

Hopefully, Hepco and Becker will offer a frame for their panniers in the future. This would be my preference.

GT-Rx® said:
wforider said:
I am gussing Penske, but what shock would it be in their line up.
Hi Joe, sorry I missed this. Always best to email me direct.
I have a couple of options to offer depending on your budget. Gazi, Penske, RT & (soon to be launched) Matris.
I'll send you a note direct.

I am thinking of upgrading the shocks on my California 1400. Maybe the forks also. Depending on cost it may be soon or over the winter.
I am curious what is available and how much it will cost me.

I tried to PM you on this but I got "Permission Denied"

Rudy

Back