• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California II Timing Chain replacement

cole

Just got it firing!
Just a few notes to anyone planning to replace your timing chain on a big twin engine without removing the engine from the frame. I've just been through the process with my 1983 Cali II and I'm no engineer.
There are instructions aplenty at the sites and books listed below. I just wanted to add my findings.

The instructions everyone gives are excellent in that you remove the alternator cover and then the alternator. Some say the alternator will just slip off. I can only say without the special bolt tool from MGcycle for getting the Bosch alternator off it would still be on there. Best $11 I've spent in a long time.

[/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/bosch.JPG][/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/cover plate.JPG]

None of the other articles I read mention needing to remove the frame bolt that runs through the timing chain cover. OK I'm a bit slow so I wasn't sure if it could be left in place. It can't. You need to support the engine with something, take off the pipes and take the bolt out of the way in order to get the timing chain cover off.

[/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/frame bolt.JPG][/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/old chain.JPG]

The chain can be cut off quite easily with a Dremel like Carl Sederquist describes. Threading the new chain on is the time consuming part if you have big fat fingers like me. If I ever do this again I'll have a person with small fingers at hand to help with this bit. I suggest bribing a wife or kid at this point.

[/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/new chain1.JPG][/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/new chain 2.JPG][/Users/snow/Desktop/guzzi repair/new tensioner.JPG]

Everything else was just as everyone described. Original tensioner was crap (what were they thinking when they put that in?). New tensioner seems completely different and the chain seems.....tense.

Special thanks to Pete Roper and his photos in his engine strip series on http://www.wildguzzi.com, Carl Sederquist and his timing chain replacement advice on http://www.wildguzzi.com, Gregory Bender and his tensioner replacement advice at http://www.thisoldtractor.com, the good old Haynes manual and the Moto Guzzi training videos available again at www. thisoldtractor.com
Lastly thanks to Dave Richardson and his Guzziology book. You really shouldn't own a Guzzi without owning this book. Also to MGcycle for the special tools and Moto International for the parts. Thanks for still posting stuff to Canada.

Back