• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California III, name that light mount!

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have a 1995 Cali 1100 carb, and some muppet who has had this bike before me obviously had problems with the rear mudguard. So he swapped it for another type but it doesnt have the ledge for mounting the rear lights on.

What he did was jury rig a light bracket on the back, which was all well and good until I got it and wanted to fit panniers (he mounted the lights on the rear fender, they got in the way).

More jury rigging later and I manufactured this work of art...

DSCF2202.jpg

The more well-travelled will see the skillful application of two Suzuki GSX400FX front cable clips to mount the indicators on and the tasteful blue cable wrap...
---
To the point, I want to fit an original Guzzi taillight set. I bought the correct type 2nd hand, not realising I needed the ledge for it to go on.

So what I am wondering is...what type of light fits to the below mount type?:

DSCF2201.jpg

I am suspecting that its not a Guzzi fender, but some piece of junk the previous moron owner slammed on there. If it is, I'll make a new ledge bracket by hook or by crook.

---
Side note: many thanks to Moto Ecosse for selling me this bike. I appreciated the garbage rear electrics, the sidestand that eventually fell off, the weak sidestand engine cut-off bracket which prevented the bike from running when I got it until I capped the switch, and the cam sensor which failed within 2 months of ownership. Scumbags!

After the issues Ive had with this bike, though, I just love it even more :D

You could save a bunch of trouble by finding a used fender from a breaker. Anything from about 1989 to 1997 should be the correct fender.

The problem there though is that people seem to want HIDEOUS amounts of money for them. Ive seen between £130 and £170 :eek:

Looks like I'm making a bracket then. Go go power hacksaw!

GuzziHero said:
The problem there though is that people seem to want HIDEOUS amounts of money for them. Ive seen between £130 and £170 :eek:

Looks like I'm making a bracket then. Go go power hacksaw!

Think about the time and cost to modify the one you have. It may be cheaper to by the used one, but then again it may not. What do dealers in the UK want for a new one (if available)?

New one, I havent dared look.

Nothing on the parts finders, though I am currently nearly done making a custom aluminium bracket to work with what I have (by custom I mean bodged) while my mate refreshes the electrics on the light set. Since my dad was an engineer and I inherited exactly none of his skills, this is quite a project for me :D

Buy a new one? PFEH! I like to do stuff for myself ;)

Concept template:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2205.jpg

Rough cut:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2206.jpg

First assessment and basic fit:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2207.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2208.jpg

Sprayed with Plastikote. Primer, 2 black gloss, enamel overcoat. Its not going to be seen, so I didnt bother waiting for it to dry :p :
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2210.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2211.jpg

How it'll look:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/G ... CF2212.jpg

I just need to drill the holes now for the light set to mount to. My able assistant has very handily altered the wiring and tested all the light set for me :)

I didnt take as many pics as I should have today.

Basically, the last pic last night was just put in place to see how itd look.

Today, I drilled the holes in the top of the bracket, made anti-squash 2 spacers for the rubbers in the light unit (4mm socket, wrap a strip of aluminium round it to get a roughly round shape. Put the bolt you intend to use in a vice by its head, shape the spacer around it. Use 2 nuts to mark a distance of thread the right length the space needs to be and file down to suit), then fitted the lights.

I've had to space out the light unit from the bracket so used 2 washers and a compression washer which worked nicely.

Then finally drilled 2 holes in the number plate rubber backing to fit my reg plate without having to drill more holes through that.

DSCF2215.jpg

It looks a bit skewed because the topbox mount is slightly off centre. I'm chuffed with that. I havent removed the old indicators to wire the new light set up yet, thats why you can see them dangling down. I'm waiting for my electrician to sort the wiring for me.

Time taken: Approx 14 hours from 2 folks (probably 2 more of my friends hours to finish the wiring).
Cost: £10.57 for some enamel spray paint, approx £3 for electrical connectors.

:)

Back