• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California tyres

Demon

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, I'm about to replace the tyres on my 96 Cali 1100i and was wondering which are a good choice,
I currently have Bt 45 Batlax's fitted front and rear but I've found the front is wearing badly on the o/s and the rear is bald in the centre.
I'm ideally looking for a set that gives decent mileage and grip, should I stick with the Bridgestones? my riding style is fairly conservative, I like to push on a bit but not to the point of scraping the footboards, and mostly ride one up.
Regards,
John.

Yay! A tire thread. :laugh:

I have a '98 EV. After the OEM Pirellis wore out (pretty quickly), I went for many -- MANY -- miles on M880's.

Eventually, I lost some confidence in their adhesion ... I can be stoooopid now and then and ride beyond my ability ... thus moved to Michelin Pilot Activs. Prefer them to the M880's for performance in a safety sense, but they do not appear to be a long-lived as the M880's.

Lots of tires, opinions, and asshats out there ... including me ... so, obviously, YMMV in a most literal way. ;)

Bill

I highly recommend the Metzeler Z8s. I found them to be the best sport touring tire, save Avon Storm 2s and Mich- PR3s, which I have not tried either yet. I don't know if Mtz make them for the '96 Cali but I do know they make the sizes for the '97 and on Cali models.

Got 10k miles on the front and 7k on the back solo with camping gear. They handle great wet and dry; maintain a near perfect profile throughout its service life; and have the unexpected characteristic of absorbing shock from pot holes a bit better than standard radial tires.

Rafael said:
I highly recommend the Metzeler Z8s. I found them to be the best sport touring tire, save Avon Storm 2s and Mich- PR3s, which I have not tried either yet. I don't know if Mtz make them for the '96 Cali but I do know they make the sizes for the '97 and on Cali models.

Got 10k miles on the front and 7k on the back solo with camping gear. They handle great wet and dry; maintain a near perfect profile throughout its service life; and have the unexpected characteristic of absorbing shock from pot holes a bit better than standard radial tires.

Rafael,

Z8s are a radial tire and won't fit on a 1996 California.

Demon,

A good balance on Bias tires is hard to find these days. Motorcycles that use them are getting scarce so the manufactures don't have much incentive. Probably the better ones out there these days are the Michelin Pilots and BT 45s. Again it is a personal choice from the standpoint of your riding style and the amount of wallet you have to put into tires.

Hi Demon

Tried Metzelers on my old LM 2 but changed to BT 45s and noticed a big positive difference in feedback, grip and handling. Now have fitted 45s to my '95 Cali 1100i and got the same result.

I guess it is a matter of personal choice and riding style, but as tyres are the only point of contact with the road, (unless you go shiny side down), I always reckon it a good policy to buy the best.

I'm an ME880 fan. I got 11,000 miles out of my last set, inlcuding local and trans-continental driving. The've got a stiff sidewall, makes for a more responsive feel when turning. They've never given me a moments concern in the heat, the cold, the rain and have had them heeled over fully loaded two up to within a quarter inch of the chicken strip. The front tire i would not have had to replace. The rear had relatively uniform wear side-center-side, but the center was gone. I run 44psi in the rear and 38 in the front. Despite taking the tires to within a quarter inch of their edge, i've never felt a moment's slip or slide.

Sounds like you fellas already have quite a bit of experience with tires and are probably gassing it harder through turns than me.

Steve,

Your pressures seem a bit high for a California. Tires work best when they get to warm up. You control tire temperature by changing tire pressure. Try lowering the back to 38 to 40 PSI (I used 36 on mine when I had them) and the front to 33 to 34. The tires will get hotter and she should stick much better then she already is.

Back