• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

cam...parts numbers

A quick check indicates that Some parts are now listed in the Griso parts list, presumably those that are used in the roller tappet system in the 1400. The camshaft BO14576 is still listed as 'Abolished'.

Now in the fullness of time the roller tappet set up may be adopted on the whole range of 8V bikes but at the moment and up until this point I know of and have never seen any credible evidence that there have ever been any roller tappet motors installed in any models prior to the 1400 Cali.

I'm fully aware of the fact that the roller tappet parts have been listed for several models on the parts site for months. I made enquiries of of our importer and they took it up with the factory and all we got was the information that the parts were not current and had been abolished. Why would we be given that information if there were roller tappet motors floating about or even parts availability.

As I said. I do not believe there were any roller tappet motors released prior to the 1400. I will quite happily revise that belief when I have contrary evidence verified through official channels. So far no such evidence has been forthcoming. In fact the only 'Evidence' is coming from markets which seem to have been plagued by failures that simply don't occur elsewhere. To me that tends to undermine their credibility.

Believe what you like. It makes no difference to me but it will invariably stir up the nervous nellies and serial whiners which isn't good for the marque and is entirely un-necessary.

Pete

That's OK, I have no personal interest in changing anyone's beliefs or "stirring up the nervous nellies and serial whiners". I gave what I thought was some useful information to gdp's questions regarding Stelvio's new camshaft profile. I gave the reference number to the new camshaft and explained what a solid Guzzi mechanic told me about that particular Stelvio camshaft profile.

I don't know nor I care if the 8V 1200 with roller tappets was in production line before, after or at the very same time the 8V 1400 was being produced. I'm just sharing what I get from a trusted source, since there has been such a widespread interest about this issue. Really.

Heck I even asked to be present when one of the "supposedly" roller tapped-fitted Stelvio is due for the first service. I want to see it myself. That doesn't mean the information that is leaking now is less credible because it is coming from Europe.

I believe greater occurrence or publicly acknowledgment of the tappets failure on specific markets should not correlate with anyones credibility. :blink:

I'm sorry if I stepped on the wrong thread and I'll refrain to bring more info on this matter since it appears to be unnecessary. :S

JJ? I'm not being critical of you and I don't doubt for a moment that your intentions are entirely honourable. Its just that there is a lot of 'Half Right' information out there, often from unverifiable sources. There are also a lot of people working on Guzzis who themselves haven't a clue! There was a bloke recently, can't remember if it was on this board who was told categorically that his 8V Griso had hydraulic tappets by the bloke who was 'Servicing' it.

Of course there are many good people who don't contribute to Internet boards. It should also be remembered that there are a lot of clueless people who do! My opinions and experience are worth exactly what people here pay for it. Nothing :lol: . BUT, simply because I do have the dealer portal at my fingertips and have a fairly direct line, (Only one step removed.) to the factory I do have the ability to check and a greater chance than most of separating the grain from the chaff. That's all.

Pete

Just as an update to this there is now a supercession of numbers for the roller lifter cam bikes with the previously 'Abolished' cam shaft now having a 5 on the end.

I've asked our parts lad at the importer to price up and get availability on the bits. It won't be cheap I'm sure.

List below. Note that some of these 'Parts' are assemblies.

These are on the left hand head.

878574-Pad

B016785-Tappet

B017026- Cam support.

B0145765-Cam.

414837-Screw

879938-Belvile spring

879936-Shim

879937-Shim

B0136034-inlet rocker assembly

B0136054 exhaust rocker assembly

Note. The above two items *May* include the tappets and pads listed as the first two items on the list.

Some of the parts will be duplicated for the right hand head, some of them will be different.

B017029-Right hand rocker support.

Most other parts seem to x-reference.

Interestingly the part# for the cam for all the 8V's, (With the possible exception of the Cali 14 which I haven't checked.) is identical. Griso, Norge and Stelvio.

Pete

THATS IT!! im past caring , i love my Stelvio and will find out if she has roller cams or not , if they ever pack up and i need to lift the head. I trust Pete Roper even though he is an australian and i am south african

Charlie, use a good oil, tune it correctly, it'll last forever. Flat tappet engine is a fine thing. Mine is noisy as buggery but keeps on keeping on. I have no concerns over its robustness or longevity.

Its not our fault your lot can't play cricket! :twisted:

Pete

pete roper said:
Charlie, use a good oil, tune it correctly, it'll last forever. Flat tappet engine is a fine thing. Mine is noisy as buggery but keeps on keeping on. I have no concerns over its robustness or longevity.

Its not our fault your lot can't play cricket! :twisted:

Pete

Pete, regarding this beaten to death "issue", I want ask if all your customers' flat tappet engines are more or less noisy as I just though of another briiiiilliant theory, since you have no issues there and some noise-issue connection maybe present but for a good reason.... (closing my ears and moving away from windows preparing for down under launched meteorites striking the mountains of Thessaly...)

Pete, regarding this beaten to death "issue", I want ask if all your customers' flat tappet engines are more or less noisy as I just though of another briiiiilliant theory, since you have no issues there and some noise-issue connection maybe present but for a good reason.... (closing my ears and moving away from windows preparing for down under launched meteorites striking the mountains of Thessaly...)

Mi_ka I have the OZ importers original 8V Griso test bike used for press rides and demo's etc it was probably given quite a tough time for its first 10,000km and was sold /negotiated through Pete to me with out factory/dealer warranty when Pete was only a service agent. It has done another 20,000km and Pete has helped out with a couple of known (drive hub seal/bearing and rear main seal retaining bolt leaking) issue's (to his credit) with out complaint. His bike's valve train is a fair bit noisier than mine and my bike had a Roper full service on delivery.
I can't comment on any other OZ delivered 8V's other than there are quite a few around I have seen and spoken to the owners who have not had any valve train issues and the bikes are quieter than mine.
go figure :?

Look, its all conjecture.

I remain convinced the majority of problems with any or all of the 8V motors. valve train are down to people not understanding how it works and why stuff like oil quality is so important.

As far as noise is concerned I believe that any early A5 motor that makes the 'Cyclic Rattle' will be just fine. Why? Because I think that noise is made by the tappets spinning as they should and the cams floating as they do so.

If you can't hear that racket you don't know if the tappets are spinning. If they don't they'll die, and die fast.

A8 motors with the cams shimmed shouldn't have the clattering and knocking but if they still 'Whir' cyclically? That to me is a good thing.

Am I right? How the fuck would I know!? I can't get one to go wrong!!!

Pete

So there goes to the trash my new briliant theory: lack of noise, cyclic rattle or valve train noise could suggest tighter than needed flat tappets to their nests clearance so the tappets present higher load to the cam lobes and/or fail to rotate under certain temperature conditions so they become toast and this could be attributed to some bad bunch of tappets or their support carriers making their way intermittably through the assembly line
Since quiet down under bikes continue to function properly this theory is trashed - hope I have not mixed up the spirits the bad way once more :blush:

Just for the record, I have just been supplied with new cams under warranty for my 1200 8V sport which has the A7 engine type. The cam part no. is 8792744 manufactured in July 2012.

Back