• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cam recall ever lead to probs??

SlickT

Tuned and Synch'ed
My brand new 8v is about to undergo the cam recall operation at the dealer. Has anyone had this done and run into problems down the road? I just don't like the idea of my brand new un-ridden motorcycle being pulled apart and worked on in the engine before I head out. I feel that something is bound to go wrong after. Please let me know if anyone has had this done and please tell me it worked fine after! Thanks.

I've done several recalls. Never had a comeback. I would STRONGLY suggest that while the work is being done a small amount of low strength Loctite be applied to the sprocket bolts of the cams as I have heard of one case of a bolt coming loose, (A lad who posted here actually.) Other than that, as long as the instructions sent out by the factory are followed TO THE LETTER there should be no problems.

Taking it apart and doing the job properly may in fact make it better than new. Remember, bikes are assembled by assembley line workers. If it's done by a mechanic it will probably be done better. The only caveat is that your dealer sent out a bike with an outstanding recall a year+ after it was announced. Lets hope the bloke doing the job is upto the task.....

Pete

pete roper said:
Taking it apart.... may in fact make it better than new... If it's done by a mechanic it will probably be done better.
Pete
Ha. hahaaaa ha. Ever the joker.

OK, you did have a qualifier: and doing the job properly

Well, just picked up the bike after recall. Time to ride it finally and see how she is. Hopefully all is well and I never come back to this post!

I picked up a '09 G8V a couple months ago, the dealer didn't tell me anything about a recall that was outstanding or any work that was performed. How do I check if this recall has been performed or what other recalls are outstanding? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Phil

Someone, here I think, put up the original factory PDF that had the numbers of affected bikes. Unfortunately in Oz this info is dealt with at importer level and I don't have access to the info but it is in a thread here somewhere.

Most of the bikes subject to the 'Technical Updat' were built in '08- early '09 so if yours is an end of year model I wouldn't be too concerned but DO check with your dealer and ensure that you know its right. All bikes sold AFTER the 'Update' was announced SHOULD of had the work performed before the machine was allowed out of the shop. Sdly I know of several occasions where this didn't occur......

Pete

Oups! I thought I had bookmarked this as well :dry:
I 'll look around once more...
Edit:
Found nothing, maybe I was wrong... Duh!

My G8V is in the shop right now for the recall. Dropped it off just over a week ago, I don't want to bother or rush the guy; so I'm wondering how long (how many labor hours) the work typically takes. Thanks.

312griso8v said:
My G8V is in the shop right now for the recall. Dropped it off just over a week ago, I don't want to bother or rush the guy; so I'm wondering how long (how many labor hours) the work typically takes. Thanks.

Mine was the first one I'd done and I was absurdly cautious. Took me less than three hours. Nowadays i can knock 'em over in about an hour and a half including coffee and cigarette breaks. The instructions from the factory are concise and easy to follow. Even if you've never done one before it shouldn't take long and no, there are no 'Special Tools' required to do the job unless your usual tool kit consists of only a pair of mole-grips and a four pound hammer.

Pete

Well, 850 miles on the bike after recall performed and no problems. Happy.

Hi ,I have just had a serious engine failure on my 2010 8v 1200 sport, while 1100 klm from home .
The engine seized solid after a short period of clattering noise from the left hand cly head,and the sump oil is full of metal filelings and the starter will not turn engine over, luckerly i was only doing 60klm/hr as the day before i was doing 230 klm/hr.
I suspect that this bike should have had the recall done to the cams ,whatever it was, and it has not been done as the bike was built in 2009 and sold new to me in 2010.
Does anyone know what the serial numbers were for the models that needed the recall work done on the cams.The bike had only just had the first service done at 1500klm and had only done 3250 klm . Bugger :cry:

M8, thats sad. :(
I hope your warenty is still in place, It is a costly repair youre looking at.
Make shure all the metal grit gets flushed out and let them pull the oil pump as well.

Good luck with the repairs.

piper75 said:
Hi ,I have just had a serious engine failure on my 2010 8v 1200 sport, while 1100 klm from home .
The engine seized solid after a short period of clattering noise from the left hand cly head,and the sump oil is full of metal filelings and the starter will not turn engine over, luckerly i was only doing 60klm/hr as the day before i was doing 230 klm/hr.
I suspect that this bike should have had the recall done to the cams ,whatever it was, and it has not been done as the bike was built in 2009 and sold new to me in 2010.
Does anyone know what the serial numbers were for the models that needed the recall work done on the cams.The bike had only just had the first service done at 1500klm and had only done 3250 klm . Bugger :cry:

1200 Sport 8V uses the A7 motor and these weren't produced until WAY after the cam recall series of bikes ended. While I obviously am not there to look at the damage my guess is that if it is refusing to spin it has either seized a cam or the crank which would indicate a lubrication failure rather than a tappet failure.

Did it make any preliminary noises? An increase in the loudness of the top end over a period of minutes or hours or was the failure instant? You had checked the oil since the 1st service was completed in the intervening almost 2000Kms? When new an engine will have a tendency to use more oil, especially if it hasn't been broken in hard. I'll be interested to hear what the analysis of this one is.

Pete

That's bad news... hope your dealer / mechanic is on top of it.

The good news... You're here, which will prove to be a lifeline to information, support and of course ridicule... when it's all fixed and back on the road!

Keep us informed on your progress, and ask away, you'll get good advice here.

Do you know what oil was put in at the last service, and what the oil level was and when last checked?

Good thing you were low speed too... a broken bike you can walk away from isn't that bad in the big scheme...

Matt

Got any pics of the shit in the sump? To be brutally honest I'd be very surprised if a cam seizing would of had the ability to stop the crankshaft dead. My guess is that it has run its mains and/or big ends and only one thing will cause that, lack of oil pressure. That would point to either a loose filter, (Which would be noticeable from the puddle of oil and the mess on the bottom of the block.) a failed oil pump, blocked pick-up or loose internal pipng or an OPRV that has stuck open. OR the oil level wasn't checked and it simply ran itself out of oil.

Pete

Thanks , will keep you all informed as to the out come when shes stripped down.
Hope to go pick it up in a few days as had to leave the bike at my sons 950 klm away,
then have to get it over to the north island to the dealer for repairs.Not many guzzi dealers here in New Zealand.
Was on the first long trip ,had done 1200klm in two days ,oil level was full after melt down so dont think that a problem.
There was a rattleling noise for about a minite which turned into a clunking louder sound for about 15 secounds then the rear wheel locked.
Will be about 10 days untill i get her to the dealer so will post autopsy results then.
This is my first guzzi and am pissed off ,but will still stick with it,as the handling and ride is awesome. It is the best bike i have ever riden but not the most powerfull :S
Cheers, Chris

Back