• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

can I use an automotive alternator?

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I've read that some folks used to swap their alternators to automotive units:

thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_alternator_conversion.html

I'm in the process of tidying up / repairing my Nuovo Falcone's charging system, and wondering if I couldn't do the same? I was holding a little Denso 40a alternator intended for a Volkswagen race car recently and was shocked at its weight - more than 15 pounds less than the unit charging my little NF.

If I understand correctly, an automotive alternator will not require a rectifier or regulator, since these are integrated into the unit? And I could use a 'single wire' alternator to simplify my wiring harness further?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tobin, can't think of why that wouldn't work. Your NF has a 12v system, correct?

Hi Tobin, can't think of why that wouldn't work. Your NF has a 12v system, correct?
yup it's 12V. by the way, thanks for the lead on guzzino - my new carburetor is arriving today and paulo is lovely to deal with :)

Very good, and Paul and his lovely wife are long time friends.

Chances are you'll need 2 wires . One to power it up with ignition on (the small fitting), and the other to the
battery +ve (large) terminal . I've used 2 different auto alternators on Guzzis I've owned . I'd suggest
not going larger on the drive pulley , (they don't need it ) and not too sure just how fast
one should spin an auto alternator . Peter

Chances are you'll need 2 wires . One to power it up with ignition on (the small fitting), and the other to the
battery +ve (large) terminal . I've used 2 different auto alternators on Guzzis I've owned . I'd suggest
not going larger on the drive pulley , (they don't need it ) and not too sure just how fast
one should spin an auto alternator . Peter
I'm reading about 'one wire' or 'self exciting' alternators, that don't require the second wire.

One wire is the way to go. Have you worked out a voltage regulator? Or will the alternator you select have a built in regulator? BTW, if anyone has a 6 volt system, 6 volt alternators are also available.
That's one of the things that interests me, besides the fact that original parts are hard to find - the regulator is built in to these little Denso one wire units, further simplifying the wiring loom.

the original setup is very robust, originally intended to run things like sirens and flashing lights and radios in military, police and fire applications. but, someone has 'upgraded' this bike to an aftermarket electric start and the generator is very weak - a common problem with these kits I've read.

it's kind of neat to use, it just runs the generator as a motor, and you pull the decompression lever to get it turning over. once the big flywheel is up to speed you release the decompression lever and the flywheel has enough mass to get it chugging away. of course the 'starter' is completely silent - it's just turning over the motor via the same belt that runs it. it's a neat party trick!

...and if you don't pull the decompression lever (due to curiosity or just foolishness) the increased draw from attempting to turn the motor under compression overloads and welds the 20a relay together and you find yourself in the interesting situation of having a bike that is turning over and can't be stopped. well, almost can't be stopped. it will stop once the loom finishes burning. oh yea, it lights on fire in this particular situation. why is there no fuse in this circuit? well, I suppose whoever put this kit together expected the operator to simply *not* forget to pull the important lever. they didn't plan on an idiot of my caliber perhaps.

this is all easy enough to sort, but kickstarting the bike is absurdly easy - and very statisfying! - and a simpler wiring loom is better to my mind.

Heck , Yamaha even used them back in the 70s' on some of their small road ( dirt ) bikes ! Peter
Yes, they worked great—we had a 125 enduro on the farm when I was growing up. It had an appropriate starter relay to handle the starting current and a voltage regulator for the charging circuit.

Back