• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can't lock my wheel - is it dangerous to ride?

G00Dz

Just got it firing!
Over this weekend I parked my bike on the parking lot of big box retail store. When I came back my mirrors were loose and a tool pouch was sticking out from under the saddle. The bike was standing where I left it. A guy parked next to me came up to me and said that he picked up my bike after someone knocked it to the ground. Thankfully, there were no visual damage, I re-installed my saddle, adjusted the mirrors and rode about 5 miles back home. When I parked it, I noticed that my key does not go all the way to lock my wheel, so even if the fork is turned to the left it is not in a fixed position.
Can someone tell me: 1- if it's dangerous to ride, assuming that some loose parts can jamb my fork, 2-is this something that I can fix on my own, or where on the bike can I check this locking mechanism?
Thanks in advance for your advise.
GK-
New York - Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Sounds like the locking mechanism took a hit when the bike was knocked over while locked. It's very unlikely that the steering will suddenly lock itself while you're riding, but you probably want to check it out so you can restore the ability to lock your steering.

I'm not sure how the steering lock works on your model, but they are often attached with security bolts which have their heads snapped off during installation, making removal somewhat of a challenge. Unless you have a good range of workshop tools, I suggest you take it to someone (friend or dealer) who does. You may need to buy new replacement bolts, with or without the security feature.

I have also found that it does not lock at FULL deflection. When you turn the bars to the left wiggle them a bit to make sure the lock engages.

Marc

Thanks Marc and kiwi dave,
It's comforting to know that I can count on this forum in the times of "trouble", even as trivial as this one...The lock was definitely effected by the hit. After reading your replies I went back to re-examine the bike.. put it on N and rolled it few times back and forth, before parking it. I had to add a little force while turning the key, but I got it locked. I went through the same routine few more times and each time it was getting easier to turn the key towards lock position and to get the fork fixed. I'll see how it will work over time, but for now I feel much better. Thanks! Looking forward to my ride tomorrow despite :shock: 32 degree weather
Gene

Back