• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CARC backlash

Georgios

Just got it firing!
Hello,

my name is Georgios and I am new to this great forum.

A friend of mine rides a 2005 1100 Breva, with very low milage, and he complains about poor driveability of the bike when the throttle is closed and opened again at low speeds, as e.g. in roundabouts.
I suspect excessive backlash from the final drive. Can this be adjusted somehow? Or has anyone another idea solving the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes
Georgios

Not the final drive. Probably excessive slack in the throttle cables. Adjust as much free play out of the cables as possible. Also check that the latest map is installed in the ECU. Last 3 digits should be V12 for an 1100 Breva. The V12 map helps to cure the lose speed behavior problems.

He has adjusted the throttle cables to minimum slack. Maybe the map could be a chance, thanks. How can the map be checked?

Anyway, is it possible to adjust the backlash in the final drive? Just for the case, the map will not cure the problem.

Nothing is foreseen for that, to my knowledge.

However, AFAIK the V11 has silent blocks inside the cush drive (between the shaft & the wheel). MAYBE it would be possible to put in something similar on a CARC bike?

There is no way to adjust the 'Backlash' as it is a result of clearance between the engagement dogs on the pinions and the pinion teeth themselves. Guzzi did suggest swapping the torque rod bush for one with higher hysteresis in its damping component but the main things that seem to affect a change are the previouusly mentioned throttle cable adjustment and mapping changes and also age/distance.

One thing to remember is that the majority of the bearings in the gearbox are 2RS types. Especially when new the seals impart significant drag on the shafts. Going from neutral to first will tend to be particularly clonky at first but the 'Braking' effect of seal friction will also cause velocity changes during other ratio shifts that will make things noisier. The problem will be exacerbated is the machine is only ridden infrequently as the seals won't soften and will tend to 'Memorise' their positions.

Pete

PS the only cush systems on the B11 are the face cam in the gearbox and the bonded rubber jointing in the driveshaft itself.

Georgios said:
Maybe the map could be a chance, thanks. How can the map be checked?

Map revision can be seen using VDSTS. It can also be seen by Axone and Navigator which are dealer tools and are used to update the map.

Hi Pete,

thanks for your detailed reply. On a Honda CX 500 final drive it is possible to adjust the backlash by changing the washer. Honda recommends 0,25 mm gap measured on the pinion. I thought Guzzi would have built things similar.

John,

so this only can be checked by the dealer. My friend will be there on Thursday, he will ask.

Thanks also, RJVB.

Georgios

Earlier final drives you were able to rebuild. the parts for the CARC are not available separately.

The adjustment you mention on the Honda box would not of noticeably, (When being ridden.) changed the backlash in the driveline. Helical gears as used in a differential or bevelbox have to be set up very precisely to ensure the point of contact on he face of the two gears is in the right place and contact is only 'Pressing' rather than 'Sliding'. To achieve this the x any y axis of the gears are changer in relation to one another by shims. One of these shims will be the 'Washer' to which you refer in the Honda box. They would NOT have an appreciable effect on the 'Clonk' as the clearance betwixt the teeth when set up is measured in thousandths of an inch.

Get the set up wrong and the gears will destroy themselves in very short order.

Pete

Hi Pete,

that makes sense to me.
Then we will go the other route via the map, valve clearance, synch the throttles or adjust the TPS. I hope one of it helps. I´ll let you know.

Thanks.

Georgios

Back