• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cardan shaft spline wear

holty

Tuned and Synch'ed
It's a bit hard to see here ( I can't take pics for crap) but I got a nasty surprise when I pulled the cardan shaft off to inspect and regrease the splines and swingarm bearings. All splines looked as new except for the most painful to replace (dropping engine and pulling gearbox), the gearbox output shaft. There is burring along one side of the spline resulting in a loose fit and around 2mm radial movement at the rearmost point of the universal yoke. Wondering if anyone else has come accross this prob? To me the spline appears to have not been hardened correctly or was too loose to start with.

Attachments

• CARC-Spline.jpg
    CARC-Spline.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,474
Hello holty

Yoicks! How many km/miles on the bike?

Too much play in the splines would be a worry and could be making the noises which I've been blaming on the driveshaft shock absorber being inadequate. How did that item seem?

Maybe time to remove my CARC unit again and feel the driveshaft for rotational slack. I've had the CARC off three times and each time greased the splines at that end but never thought to check the shaft for rotational slack at the front end which would have been easy to do then.

What do you intend doing about the loose splines?

G day Graham
Bike has done 32000 ks not ridden real hard. Cant say i ve heard any noise coming from driveline but the usual
fuelling issues coming off a trailing throttle combined with this spline wear seem to multiply driveline freeplay. I didn't really check rotational wear because i was more concerned with the side to side up n down movement of the yoke. Bottom line is the 3 other splines look like new and short of replacing output shaft there's nothing i can do but put it back together n enjoy the ride B) Cheers

Bill Hagan also had a serious issue with one of the splines. I never really understood exactly what :oops: ... this doesn't happen to be a similar failure I hope?

What is the amount of wear? A splined drive will wear. If it wasn't properly hardened, I wouldn't expect you'd get anywhere near 32000 km out of it. From looking at the picture, it doesn't appear to be a large step in the splines. As for 2 mm. of play how much lash is there as new, all parts are machined to a tolerance that must allow them to function correctly under all temp., load conditions. If there is no lash in a drive be it gears or a spline they usually tear themselves up in short order.
FBC

Given that there's no way short of dismantling to lubricate the splines, I wonder how long Guzzi expect them to last? I don't recall reading in the pathetic service-manual that the splines need to be accessed and lubricated at particular intervals. 32,000km should see these bikes just about run-in, not worn-out. Mine has rather more than that on it and driveline noises are no worse than when it was new.

Removing the CARC to access and lubricate the rear shaft splines is no big deal, but accessing the front splines is a much bigger mouthfull and is very unlikely to happen in most cases until a failure occurs.

The universal joints themselves appear to be "sealed for life" and so not requiring, nor even permitting further lubrication. Fingers crossed! Now I recall what a pig of a job it was to lube the grease nipple on the front universal of the V11 series bikes........A very competent friend actually rebuilt the front universal so that the grease nipple could be accessed more easily. I just fabricates a special bent nozzle for the grease gun. What beautiful but flawed bikes those V11s are. So glad I traded my 2001 V11 Sport for a Breva. That V11 tried to kill me many times with it's high-speed tail wagging. Lovely looking bike.........

Just a thought, what is 2mm. in thou. , could be my inability to visualize small metric measurements well is clouding my sight. I work in imperial measures. maybe it's more slop than I think!
FBC

Yup ,it is more than I thought. So does any one know what kind of play would be considered serviceable. There must be some kind of dimensional limits for these parts somewhere?
FBC

holty: Whatever became of your spline issue.Just reread this thread as I figure I should grease the drive splines this winter,anyone out there have any recommendations as to a greasing interval I've found nothing in the owners manual or shop man. There is a shop up in Quebec called Montecristo that recommend 10000km for all Guzzis. ( seems their field of expertise is Guzzi, BMW, Ducati and Laverda) Any thoughts are appreciated.
FBC

Frost bitten Canadian after i posted at 32000 k i just regreased with a heavy grease n reassembled. All i could do at the time.Only done 'bout 37000 now with no hassles apart from usual driveline backlash. Not gonna let a little thing like that spoil the beautiful ride that the Griso is with PC-5 n proper set-up. I'll certainly be regreasing as often as practical. Stuff the service chart. In my case there is definetly too much play between front yoke n output shaft spline so regular greasing is the only answer to prolong it's life.

Back