Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Cat removal

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Clayton Sietsema, Mar 14, 2016.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Per above, the mufflers must be cut apart, drill out the welds on the baffle plate, and welded back together.

2. buzglyd

buzglyd Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok. Way above my pay grade!

I'll stand and hold a beer while you do it.

3. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Okay, that explains how one gets the catalyst out of the smaller exhaust entry hole...

4. roadventure

Todd,

I saw the video of the "non-cat" mufflers you posted. Maybe I haven't looked closely enough, but I can't see how someone removes the cat converter inside the muffler without cutting the thing open. Does the end cover at the rear come out to allow access? No, even that wouldn't work. The only way I can see to remove the catalyst is to cut through it with a hole saw and then collapse it in on itself so it can be pulled out of the muffler intake end. Yet Clayton seems to have removed his seemingly intact. For the more ignorant among us, what's up?

5. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

FYI, it is a absolute waste of time removing the cats for more noise as it does very little, if anything, in that department. But, remove the cat, the baffle behind it, and them drill the rear like Todd did and it is freaking awesome!! I highly recommend sending your mufflers to Todd for this, it is worth it if you want what I call the perfect sound.

6. roadventure

I am not really interested in more sound. I have some Mistral Carbon mufflers that do that very well. I was thinking of maybe cooling down the stock mufflers by taking out the catalyst.

7. roadventure

Clayton,

You're going to have to "beat me on the head" with this one...

HOW did you get the catalyst out of the stock muffler?

8. Clayton Sietsema

Ok, that makes sense. Do you often switch back and forth mufflers? How to... take a cut off wheel on a hand grinder and cut the front of the muffler off at the factory weld, then take a 4 or 5 inch lag bolt and thread it in to the center of the cat, use a slide hammer and drive it out and weld the front of the muffler back on. make sure you put timing marks on the two pieces so you have them clocked just right when welding them back together. Since you don't care about sound you can leave the front baffle in.

9. roadventure

Thanks. That helps a lot!

I have had the stock mufflers on for a while and liked them, but then got a new rear tire and put the Mistrals back on. I think the stock mufflers are going to stay on and the Mistrals will be go up for sale.

10. GT-Rx®

You also have to drill out the tack welds on the back end of the cat plate.

11. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Clayton,

I'm wondering with your experience having the modified (gutted) stock mufflers installed did you feel a need to do any fuel modifications because of the change? I know Todd feels a fuel modification is in order for any changes (including stock) in the mufflers but I would like your opinion if I could hold off for now on the fuel mods and the bike still run reasonably well.

Thanks,

Dave

12. Clayton Sietsema

Sorry Perk, I had already done Todd's fuel mods prior to gutting the mufflers. But.... of all the mods I have done to the bike the fuel mods were the single best investment as far a the bike running better. I highly recommend it before any exhaust mods. I know it's a lot of money but it's worth it. But know this, the fuel mileage sucks balls at anything over 70mph now and what's worse is my running buddy always runs 85 down the interstate. I might get 30 mpg at that speed.

13. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for getting back with me and your brutal honesty on the mpg. Please tell me that was with 2 up riding since that is probably 85% of what I do.

I guess now this leads to another question. What exactly were the fuel mods that were done on your bike?

Thanks,

Dave

14. GT-Rx®

While these are certainly thirsty motors, and worse when the air temps are cooler, pull and send me the PC-V map, and I'll make some tweaks.

15. GT-Rx®

16. Clayton Sietsema

Perk, my fueling mods are Todd's full shebang minus exhaust. And 2 up doesn't seem to affect my mileage nearly as much as speed does.

Thanks Todd, will do as soon as I get her back from Mi.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  17. buzglyd

buzglyd Tuned and Synch'ed

I recently had Todd perform the cat removal on my Custom.

I have to say I'm totally pleased. There is a little more rumble at idle and a slight higher tone was added at freeway cruise. I was not looking for loud. This is perfect to my ears. Plus, she runs a little cooler.

I already have the fuel injection system installed and Todd even gave that a second look which is now even cleaner running than before.

I'm totally satisfied. Now I might take a look at the rear suspension adjustment. Or maybe slow down! ;-)

18. Rocco1400

Rocco1400 Just got it firing!

Thanks for all the information, seems like there's a few of us like the original lines but want a little more sound.

John L likes this.
  19. caliman

caliman Tuned and Synch'ed

Go the lafranceno exhaust. Exact same shape and more importantly the same fit.

20. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

anyone just drilled the back baffle, i.e. left internal baffle and Cat in place. Would be interested to hear what that sounds like