• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Catalina GP 2010 - Dec 3-5th

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
SHOCKER!

Catalina Island Grand Prix Returns in 2010

Now here's a great return to the old days of motorcycle racing, the Catalina Island Grand Prix is coming back, scheduled races will take place on December 4th and 5th, topped off with a 100 mile Pro Race on December 5th, though all of the activities should run over a period of 4 or 5 days. The last time the race was run was in 1958, the image shows a map of the old race course. Catalina Island is located off the coast of southern California

The Avalon City Council Tuesday, May 4 unanimously approved a request by AMA District 37 Motorcycle Club to host a Catalina Island Grand Prix. The on road and off road event should be a great boost to tourism at a time when business is usually slow.

From the Catalina Islander:

Throughout the 1950s, the Catalina Grand Prix was one of the premier motorcycle races in the United States. Every year, boats loaded with motorcycles crossed the channel from the mainland. The races usually consisted of more than 206 bikers competing in a mad scramble over a 10-mile course that ran through city streets and up into the hills above Avalon, through the golf course and then back into the city streets.

"This is going to be a family orientated event," he said. "There will be plenty of spectator access to races... we are bringing back a piece of Catalina's history and the nostalgia of the Island.”

However, (Avalon Mayor) Kennedy said the event could have a short shelf life on Catalina. "This is a one time permit," he said. "The success or failure of this event is going to dictate whether anything like this happens again on Catalina."

Details are still very limited, a website with complete information is expected to be up next month.

For Official (oncoming) details, see thecatalinagrandprix.com. I hope to be able to race it - wish me luck.

catalinagp2.jpg

[youtube]aDfgtCm4WKQ[/youtube]

[youtube]5ZFOfKgd3_g[/youtube]

It is Bob, thanks... there's some good info on the District 37 Forum, I just registered. A post from the website...

island local 05.22.10 at 4:11 pm said:
Catalina and most residents are welcoming the race with open arms. A lot of locals here still race the District 37 Grand Prix, desert, and SCORE circut. It will be mostly a dirt race much like Adelanto Grand Prix. It is not being held on any Conservancy land so they don’t have anything to say about it. There has been no shake up in the balance of power the reason for the race returning is of the enthusiasim of the local racers to bring it back and the economic benifits it will bring to the community of Avalon. The Island Compay owns most of the land that the race will be on realized this and gave their approval. They have said it is a one time event. That could change if things go well. I hope everyone comes and has a good time.

More fun-ness... enjoy;

[youtube]NP57-0SF2H0[/youtube]

[youtube]HOpdr2kalSM[/youtube]

wsholar said:
Planning to run a Guzzi?? Hmmm...supercharged Stelvio... :whistle:
Unfortunately not, the race will be won by a Supermoto bike.

So Todd, are you in it still? And what are you running? I can't be there, but IMWTK.

Mike, I'm IN! The bike (my 510 Husky) is in the container on the way over. I race on Sunday ~2pm, Pro Class (gulp), wish me luck.

Pro Class - right where you belong, Todd!!! You'll do just great - you're such a fantastic rider.
Best of luck, and have an absolute blast.
Can't wait to hear all about it.
ENJOY!!!!

OK, so for those who know the history of the race... the essence of the race was lost when the track became more motocross-y then GP. Top that with Red Bull bringing all of their top athletes, and I was stuck amidst some of the biggest names in the industry (see; http://www.tracksideonlineresults.com/t ... =985&e=211)
As of last weekend, my bike was set up more in the flavor of Supermoto, so I was sent scrambling when I learned that there was to be no paving (the website still says 20%), and that the track map still showed it utilizing a large amount of the existing fire-roads (like the original event more then 50 years ago). When I arrived, seeing the hillside Moto-X track (complete with small triples), I knew I was far from my element. So I tried... I was knocked down in the first turn, but I got up and made it one full lap to see how far off my set-up was; horrific. Top that with the fact that we found out that the Pro event was to be 2 hours in length, that I found out about less then 1 hr. before the start. Rather then face eminent demise of me and my bike, I expired early.
That all said, I'm thrilled to be part of the revival after 52 years. Hopefully there will be more to come, though in talking with the main promoter, it doesn't look promising outside of the fact that all of the locals (& businesses) loved having us there. Cross your fingers for next year. Thanks to all of my friends for the support.
Rumor has it that Bruce Brown's son was there filming... look forward to it if that's the case.

Attachments

• CGP-TEPlate.jpg
    CGP-TEPlate.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 607
Great to hear you fielded the race though! Sorry to hear about the lack of paving, I really love watching supermoto and had a blast on the few track days I have done.

I love Husqvarna bikes. Here is my project that has been sitting for too long.

Attachments

• Husky1.JPG
    Husky1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 593
  • Husky2.JPG
    Husky2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 593
Really too bad that the "track" info wasn't given out sooner; hope the organization gets better for next year (and that there is a next year. And I'm glad you could walk away intact.

So you guys can be your own judge based on the only info supplied to everyone below... enjoy.

Original race pics:

CGP-VINT1.jpg

CGP-VINT2.jpg

CGP-VINT3.jpg

CGP-VINT4.jpg

CGP-VINT5.jpg

"Course Pics" from the website pre-race:

CGP10-C1.jpg

CGP10-C2.jpg

CGP10-C3.jpg

CGP10-C4.jpg

Actual race pics below. Green arrow is me on the start.

CGP10-P1.jpg

CGP10-P2.jpg

CGP10-P3.jpg

CGP10-P4.jpg

Back