• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Center Stand vs. Side stand

spadefoot

Just got it firing!
I ordered a center stand to go with my v750 Classic that should be arriving this month. The dealer tells me that you can't have the center stand AND the regular side stand both mounted. Has anyone figured out a way to have them both? I think there are some kinds of situations where one stand is more useful than the other, and I'd like to have both on the bike.

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but from the photographs it looks like the same stands used by the 750 Breva. That bike can have both stands mounted, they are close but work. It helps to bring the side stand up before you use the center stand, also to take the bike of the center stand and make sure it is all the way up before you deploy the side stand. If you aren't careful they might interfere, but I don't know why your dealer would say it has to be one or the other mounted on the bike.

My dealer installed the center stand on my V7C without any issues and kept the side stand in place.

If you dealer does not know how to do that, you should probably look for a different dealer or mechanic.

You will need to make sure that the side stand is deployed (down) when you take the bike off of the center stand. If the side stand is up, the center stand will not retract all of the way and could drag in corners. I initially thought that it might be a small PITA but it is not.

Bugger the dealer and the factory for that matter if they say it can't be done.
It just needs some lateral thinking, laying under the bike will help a lot in this regard. ;)

While a new exhaust was being constructed for my (CARC) Bellagio, I was able to hold a Tonti centre stand in position. With a few minor alterations and fabrications etc it looks to be very feasible.

The standard sidestand now looks to be a tardy add-on after thought, at the very least it will need repositioning if not hoiked in the bin.

GUZZI'S ARE MEANT TO BE MODIFIED!

I've got both on mine. Had the centre stand fitted when I bought the my V7 Classic new. Suggest you find a competent dealer!

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1,079
I have both on my V7C. The centre stand is easy to fit and the stands do not interfere with each other.

Charlie

I've got an aftermarket centerstand, from Stucchi. To set the centerstand down the sidestand must come down first, so that the centerstand clears. Otherwise they both fit and work fine.

A quirk. Nothing more.

Joe

I have the Guzzi centre stand fitted, and it works fine with the side stand.
You've been fed a load of garbage.
If I could off up one piece of advice though.
I would recommend assembling the centre stand (complete with springs), on the bench rather than on the bike, as it is fiddly and the main pivot bolt on mine was a pig to get through, even greased.
Once the whole thing is assembled, it's a piece of cake to just bolt to the underside.
Trying to do it all in situ is a pain.

Thanks to all for the info/advice! As far as finding another dealer, I'm having to drive most of the way across North Carolina just to find this dealer. They're scarce in this state.

spadefoot said:
Thanks to all for the info/advice! As far as finding another dealer, I'm having to drive most of the way across North Carolina just to find this dealer. They're scarce in this state.

They are scarce everywhere. In the state where I live, there aren't any. I guess the best solution is to try and educate the one you have.

I thought that I might as well piggyback my question on this thread, since it is a current one and I don't feel the need to start something new on the same general topic.
I have a stand kit, Piaggio part #983164 with no instructions in the box whatsoever.
Anyway, I thought that I might as well push away from the computer and put the centerstand on my V7C this afternoon, and here I am, back at the keyboard. I have found that the stainless shaft does not go through the hole in the bracket (to the left in the pic) although I suppose that it would if I pressed it through. This leads me to want to ask a couple of questions... common sense tells me that the stand should pivot around the stainless shaft which should not turn in the bracket, thus bearing on a much greater surface (the whole tube on the stand part) instead of the narrow parts of the bracket in the picture. Perhaps the shaft in the picture must be pressed in to give it a "press fit" to stop it rotating; I am guessing that this is the case
Second question - if my common sense is correct, then more common sense tells me that I should tap the tube on the stand part and fit a grease nipple to keep it lubricated in the long run. It should have this already, IMHO. Or alternatively, I could center-drill the shaft in the picture half-way through, with a cross hole in the middle, and fit a grease nipple at the end opposite the end shown.
What say ye all? Thanks, Alan

Guzzi%20Stand%20bit.JPG

Over at Joes (Sign216) smallblock Yahoo forum (you need to register) you'll find a description of the center stand mounting in the file compartment. Description is for a Nevada, but same thing.

I have finished installing kit part # GU983164 - "center stand V7" kit - on my '09 V7C. The sidestand comes up and whacks the underside of the new center stand, and sticks out about an inch behind it (mostly the "foot" part of the sidestand. They do not bypass.

Since my bike is still lashed onto the lift, I have not tried the center stand out yet. I drilled and tapped a grease nipple onto the stand.

This seems to be a case of having to remove the side stand entirely to install the center stand. I am making the logical assumption that the center stand is raised first, and then the side stand after. I can't imagine that the center stand would have to be deployed before the side stand - this would not work for everyday riding.

Wrong parts? Poor design? I am as stupid as I seem?

Alan, in use, one deploys the side stand, and then the centerstand. After the bike's on the centerstand, you can raise the side stand, but you have to lower it before raising the centerstand.

It sounds like a pain, but once you get used to it, it's not an issue.

This is for Stucchi stand, and I imagine the Guzzi factory stand is similar.

Joe

Never had any problems with the MG centre stand on my V7 classic I had fitted from new, certainly don't have to use the side stand before hoicking the bike up into the centre! Just like any other bike I've owned there's no fitting conflict between the stands using the factory parts, I just use which ever is suitable for the parking situation.

I've got a Hepco&Becker centerstand on my Breva. There are differences to the Guzzi OEM ( - probably H&B made) centerstand. I've never experienced any problems concerning conflicts with sidestand or anything else for the matter.
Someone should give it a try on a V7C.

It reminds me of the Guzzi-rack, also H&B made, which put the panniers so low and near the muffler, that they will cause burned pannier-bottoms. The branded H&B rack will make the panniers stay free of the mufflers, because they are build to place the panniers free of the mufflers..... :dry:

Soo simple. Einfach, as they'd put it in German. :mrgreen:

Same as Paxo, i have standard Guzzi centre and side stands and they do not interfere with each other.

Back