• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

center stands & abs faults?

mechanicsavant

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
One of the first things I did once getting my 16-v7II home was to install a H-B ctr. stand. My pre ride routine is to put bike on stand check oil & tire pressures ,then do a circle check while it warms up. Then off we go. @ only 4k mi. I' be had no issues ,a little oil in the air filter housing & some surging during warm up as the engine goes into closed loop so soon . no warning lights or other issues. To the point . While @the dealers I had them do a PADS check (mostly to zero put the adaptive efi ) as a diagnostic . two faults were stored,p0501 & p0502 , ft. & Rr . speed sensors . "signal not plausible". Jokingly the service mgr. said " doing wheelies huh ?" The only thing we could think of was while warming on ctr. stand the rear wheel is rotating . Any one else seen this? I'm now either warming bike on side stand or chocking rear wheel during warm up . I'll probably re check in a few thou. Mi.

from the owner's manual:

ENGINE OIL LEVEL MUST BE CHECKED WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM AND

WITH THE DIPSTICK INSERTED BUT NOT SCREWED IN.

IF YOU CHECK LEVEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD, OIL LEVEL COULD TEMPORARILY

DROP BELOW THE 'MIN' MARK.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED A PROBLEM PROVIDED THAT THE

ALARM WARNING LIGHT AND THE ENGINE OIL PRESSURE ICON DISPLAY DO

NOT TURN ON SIMULTANEOUSLY.

CAUTION

DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE WITH THE VEHICLE AT STANDSTILL TO WARM

UP THE ENGINE AND OBTAIN THE OPERATING TEMPERATURE OF ENGINE

OIL.

OIL IS BEST CHECKED AFTER A TRIP OR AFTER TRAVELLING APPROXIMATELY

15 km (9.32 mi), OUT OF TOWN (ENOUGH TO WARM UP ENGINE OIL

TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE).

Yup I read the manual .I'm only letting it run 1-2min. Other wise it falls on its face when trying to take off . In fact when it goes into closed loop ( 45 sec or so running time) it has flamed out &stalled . A number of other small block owners I've run into relate similar "cold blooded" situations ,even some folks on this forum. Now I'm letting it run a wee bit on the side stand & we'll see how it "scans" in a few thousand miles. Also just about if not every owners manual bike & car or truck says to start and drive . some of this is emission related , another reason is related to legal issues . my primary bemusement is w/the abs fault . my other bikes do not exhibit this quirk ,but they came w/a ctr. Stand so maybe their beta testing revealed this .

my primary bemusement is w/the abs fault . my other bikes do not exhibit this quirk ,but they came w/a ctr. Stand so maybe their beta testing revealed this .
My primary amusement is:
IF YOU CHECK LEVEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD, OIL LEVEL COULD TEMPORARILY
DROP BELOW THE 'MIN' MARK.

I realise this has come up in a previous thread, but how is that possible? Your MOST accurate (and highest) oil level will be when you check it stone cold. Like after sitting overnight. For BEST accuracy check your oil BEFORE first start in the morning.

Sir your level of literacy in reading the owners manual is impressive. However the focus of my post concerns the abs system & the PADS system. Having started working in car dealerships in1969 and retiring in 2009 I'm comfortable w/my ability to maintain adequate oil levels in most engines . I find it interesting that Moto Guzzi has altered the oil capacity of its "small block" engines over the years,many Mfgrs. Find unique solutions to changing Govmt. Regulations i. e. emission controls ,service schedules etc. I admire the creativity required to keep an older engine architecture viable in the current era . A tip of the helmet is in order to the engineers . That said I am more than satisfied w/my V7II & its "personality" . years or research by me went into this decision , numerous first person talks w/owners & internet browsing too . Thanks Todd & Co.as you've been a valuable resource too. Whew! My typing finger is getting tired &the batt. In my AARP tablet is getting low (not below "min" though) TTFN

Back