• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Chrome panels on Eldorado fuel tank....

kinkajou

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey, just got my 1st eldorado and second Guzzi....I want it painted to original as its all black now....is there a way to get the chrome panels back without chroming the whole fuel tank then sand it and paint???? My chrome shop is only doing submersion chrome....so complete....is there a way around??? here,s the bike, its not having that ugly seat anymore...just got a solo gel seat from Cycle garden:)

Attachments

• MOTO2_1.jpg
    MOTO2_1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 924
If you are lucky, there may be good chrome under the tank. If not, then chroming the entire exterior is the only way you can go. Chroming is an electrolytic process so it is all or nothing. The chrome shop should be able to seal off the inside of the tank since you don't need any chrome there. Also you may be able to save a few bucks if you outline the area that has to be good. To get a good chrome finish, there will be different metals electroplated under the chrome and then polished before the chrome is applied.

I just had an Ambassador tank done by Brown's Plating in Paducah, KY http://www.brownsplating.com/. The whole tank is chromed, only the knee panels are polished. Plugs are used to seal the petcock and cap openings. They did an excellent job, turnaround was about two weeks. The price was very reasonable too.

Hello,

I have a few experiments yet to do with this stuff. Coating chrome is one. I have some sandblasted crashbars with pits. I'm going to black chrome over primer on one and black chrome over the bare metal on the other. I've got small chrome bits I'll be shootinng whatever over just to see what happens. I'm also working on trying to get powder to stick and cure on non-conductive surfaces.

thanks,
anthony

Thanks guys,

so I guess I will have to chrome the whole thing....If I have to go that way, maybee I will use that chrome to make chrome pinstripping at the same time :cool: should look nice instead of the original white stripes?

Up Here in Vancouver anyway, the cost to chrome a whole tank was about $1200 (I blanched). I decided to try out some of the recently developed "chrome" paints on my V700 tank. Before I had that done, I blundered into a NOS V700 tank for a reasonable price so didn't try the chrome paint route.

Still, I think that that might be a reasonable way to go if you're trying to keep a tank restoration's cost down to something reasonable. Perhaps like this stuff:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segment/r ... on-chrome/

kinkajou said:
Thanks guys,

so I guess I will have to chrome the whole thing....If I have to go that way, maybee I will use that chrome to make chrome pinstripping at the same time :cool: should look nice instead of the original white stripes?

kinkajou said:
I finnaly found an other way of doing....if you guys have access to a welding machine and skills....those guys are my idols....they are artists.....check that out...http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 83l3-1l1l0

I can't understand the logic of cutting panels out of the tank, having them chromed and then welding them back in. That's a very invasive way of doing it and likely weakens the structural integrity of the tank. No matter how good the weld job is, it certainly requires filler to smooth things out.

For a mere $325 Brown's Plating in Paducah, KY chromed the tank for the Ambassador I'm presently restoring.

Back