• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch adj.

Papasloan

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Went for a ride this morning on the 02 Stone to Pasadema for breakfast. Pie and Burger on Calif near Lake. Good food.
Any way on the trip up the clutch pull was all the way to the bar before It would release completely. So I did a quick adhustment and had about 1/4" away from the bar for complete release. By the time I got home it was dragging again. Adjusted it once again. The cable feels smooth so cant think its the cable going bad but I could be wrong. Is there anything in the clutch release assy that might wear that fast? Or is it possible to stretch a cable?
I know you cant diagnose things from a posting. I was just looking for other peoples experience.
I have also been told that the 02 trans will whine in 5th gear. Mine whines under acceleration. Is this common?
Thanks for any input.

I reckon you might need to rethink your clutch adjustment procedure. My Stone's manual sez to adjust the lever for 3-4mm of free play between the lever and the handlebar attachment. That's where the cable connects to the lever. A 1/4" from bar to lever is going to result in a heck of a lot more free play.

If your clutch is losing adjustment that quickly, there is a good chance the cable has frayed someplace, even though you don't feel any drag. I would seriously be considering a new cable. Even if that turns out not to be the case, a spare clutch cable hanging in the garage is not such a bad thing. Remember if it breaks when you're out on the road, you're pertty much screwed.

There is an adjustment on the clutch arm on the back of the transmission. It is important that there be a little play there. Otherwise you're riding the throw out bearing. Then there is both ende of the clutch cable itself. It's not too likely that any of those are loostening up by themselves.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

If the clutch cable is OK, it could be the throw out bearing or the clutch push rod. Both can be replaced by just removing the swing arm for easy access. I have seen this happen after a re-assembly when the push rod will fully seat into either the pressure plate or the end cap at the throughout bearing.

The purpose of the lower adjustment is to position the lever at 90 degrees to the clutch push rod when the clutch is disengaged. This provides the best leverage with the least amount of movement from the clutch lever. As Mackers stated, the 3-4mm of free play at the clutch lever (handlebar) is correct.

I'd try a complete adjustment with the rear lever at 90 degrees and the correct free play at the handlebar lever. If it continues to go slack, time to dig in to see what is going on.

Um, aren't those the exact symptoms of the single plate clutch going south? I don't know the year but if you have the single plate you'll need to swap it out for the old dual friction plate style.

Uhhh! Derrr! Sorry Price, missed this one:blink:

If you've tried adjusting at all three adjustment points and its still behaving weirdly chances are either;

1.) T thrust bearing has collapsed due to the cable being run tight.

Or;

2.) the clutch friction material is parting company from the plate centres.

#1 is easy to diagnose. #2 will require the box to come off but Todd'll help you with that, its only an afternoons work on a 'Bare Bones' Tonti.

pete

Hey Sloan,

Had that same problem with the Eldo I just got rid of. When I opened up the clutch, there was a good handfull of ground up friction material in the bottom of the cavity, so the plates couldn't have been releasing evenly. I think they were probably tipping, with the bottom part unable to move.
I am assuming that the material stayed more or less in the bottom, even with the clutch spinning.

Yep, that is usually the friction material coming off of a plate. But, you should pull the arm off of the back and pull the thrust bearing first, just in case that is it.

Is your cable routed anywhere near the header pipe? If so, that can heat the cable up and make it go slack more than you'd ever believe if yuo haven't witnessed it.

If you need a new clutch, Mark and Sean at MGC's relined plates work great, got em in my 02SS, better than the stocker for sure...

Back