• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch and Levers

trialsn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi all,

Does anyone else have issues with constantly adjusting the barrel adjuster at the lever to have smooth shifting?

Also, just wondering if anyone has swapped out the OEM levers for something aftermarket (2 finger vs. 4 finger). Just wondering how it looks and if it makes pulling the clutch any easier.

Cheers!

I tweak mine once in awhile. If yours are hard to pull I would think they are out of adjustment. Mine were hard to pull when I bought my bike. I also removed mine and painted them black to save money now the look after market.

Going to replace the cable with one from the racer. I'm hoping this makes the clutch a little smoother as the cable is contorted due to the clubman bars. As for the levers...I've always preferred something a little shorter, however I'm not sure if it will suit the style of the bike.

I wonder about the lever replacement.

in this thread you can see pazzos installed on stone

I got shorty Pazzo's on my stone. I LOVE them.

attachment.php

That looks pretty good.

Quick question to you all. Where is the second point of adjustment for the clutch? My barrel adjust is unscrewed almost all the way out. That can't be right.

That looks pretty good.

Quick question to you all. Where is the second point of adjustment for the clutch? My barrel adjust is unscrewed almost all the way out. That can't be right.

There is an adjusting screw in the lever at the back of the gearbox. You want the lever at about 90 degrees to the clutch push rod when the clutch lever is pulled in. I don't think there is an adjuster integral to the cable like the big block bikes.

I'd be careful adjusting it at the motor. Piaggio says to never adjust the clutch cable at the motor end.

I'd be careful adjusting it at the motor. Piaggio says to never adjust the clutch cable at the motor end.

They assume the adjustment angle is correct when it leaves the factory. That may not always be the case. If he has the 90 degree angle before any adjustment, then the cable is stretched and it is time for a new one. Granted this angle is very hard to see on the small blocks and will require a second person to see it it is correct if you don't tie the clutch lever back.

Picked up a pair of Accossato levers for my V7 a couple years ago. I like the adjustability and that it retains the retro look of the Racer.

20160513_190148_001.jpg
20160513_190254.jpg

http://www.harpermoto.com/accossato-clutch-lever.html
http://www.harpermoto.com/accossato-brake-lever.html

As for clutch lever pull, I have to set the Accossato lever at the max (#1) to give a full sweep. Any other adjustment makes the clutch disengagement dicey and it becomes hard to find neutral. I don't think the V7 has much mechanical advantage right at the transmission, so clutch adjustment becomes sensitive (i.e. too little free play at the lever, too much lever pull to disengage).

Last edited:
Picked up a pair of Accossato levers for my V7 a couple years ago. I like the adjustability and that it retains the retro look of the Racer.

20160513_190148_001.jpg
20160513_190254.jpg

http://www.harpermoto.com/accossato-clutch-lever.html
http://www.harpermoto.com/accossato-brake-lever.html

As for clutch lever pull, I have to set the Accossato lever at the max (#1) to give a full sweep. Any other adjustment makes the clutch disengagement dicey and it becomes hard to find neutral. I don't think the V7 has much mechanical advantage right at the transmission, so clutch adjustment becomes sensitive (i.e. too little free play at the lever, too much lever pull to disengage).

Robert,
I got those levers for my V7 too, but I thought they were made by Domino, the OEM maker for Guzzi.
Whatever, the price was great and I got adjustment without breaking the bank.
Joe

They assume the adjustment angle is correct when it leaves the factory. That may not always be the case. If he has the 90 degree angle before any adjustment, then the cable is stretched and it is time for a new one. Granted this angle is very hard to see on the small blocks and will require a second person to see it it is correct if you don't tie the clutch lever back.

Well I should state that the bike has 2000 km's on it, so I doubt the cable has stretched. The weird this is, I'm constantly adjusting the clutch (unscrewing the barrel adjuster). How is this even possible...or is it normal to feel a lot of resistance in the shift lever and finding neutral?

Hi all,

So I had the clutch cable replaced as it was already failing. Pulling the lever is much smoother (thank god), however I had to do some very minor adjustments at the lever. I assume this is normal as a new cable will stretch a little, correct?

Now on to the next question. To adjust the clutch near the transmission, I'm assuming I would follow this diagram:

Upload 2016 5 27 13 56 31

My questions are:
1. Where should the lever arm (1) be when properly adjusted?
2. I assume that I would adjust #2 to move the lever arm and lock screw #3 to lock everything in place?

Sorry, I literally need this spelled out as I DO NOT want to go through the stupid clutch issues I previously experienced.

Thanks!

I received my bike with the clutch adjustment at the grip on the very end last threads of adjustment. Had to go in and adjust it behind the transmission to take all of that slack out. It's been fine ever since. This on a 5 speed.

Random question. Does anyone know if a steel braiding mechanical clutch housing exists? The plastic housing around the cable has split, yet again. The clutch is working well, however I'm not sure if this will lead to premature clutch failure again as the housing will now be exposed to the elements.

I know on bicycles, they make steel braded cable housing which resists splitting and allows the cable to bend with little stress. Before anyone barks at me for bicycles being different than motorcycles, the principal is the same and a quick google search shows that they do exist. Just not sure if they exist for the V7. Should I bother changing it or should I just wrap electrical tape around the split portion?

Woof Woof (Meant in jest please take it that way)

If you knew how much stuff I have used on Guzzi's (& other equipment) that were "non-motorcycle" you would know that I am not one who strictly adheres to policy.

To answer your question I have not ever seen true braided cable, true meaning I have seen "wraps" that make it look like steel braid.

I don't know if any exist anymore but we used to have industrial supply houses that served heavy construction companies.
Many of them could make up cables to specs.

I have heard from other V7 owner's that the cable sorta comes out at an angle causing stress so if you find someone to make a longer cable you may be able to route it differently to help.

Hi all...not wanting beat a dead horse again if this is one...

but i can't seem to find that clutch lever the OP posted with the diagram @ Post #15...

Am I blind or I need to dig further?????

I am way too used to my old shadow with the clutch adjustment lever out in the open :p

Attachments

• Clutch Cable.JPG
    Clutch Cable.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
Back