Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Clutch Cable with Clip Ons - Guzzi newbie

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by MLRanner, Nov 27, 2020.

1. MLRanner

MLRanner Just got it firing!

Just taken on my first Guzzi - a 2013 V7 Special for my daily commute. Loving it and learning to enjoy it's eccentricities.. However, I’d been struggling with the ridiculously heavy clutch, high biting point and an impossible to find ‘neutral’ – all a nightmare in traffic. After bit of investigation I found the cable was laying on the cylinder heads, melting the outer and corroding / stretching the inner. I ordered up and fitted a new cable (B063427 2013 V7 Special). Now pleasantly light but even the adjustment wound fully in clutch is only engaging in the last 5mm or so of travel and there’s clutch slip even under moderate acceleration. The bike has been fitted with ‘clip on’ handlebars from the V7 Racer. I’m guessing I've not fitted the right cable. Should I have ordered the V7 Racer cable 883940? (the Racer cable is 1015mm out and 145mm free length and the Special 1080mm outer and 140mm free length). The clutch cable seems to change with every v7 model and year so any advice to avoid trial and error cable purchases would be appreciated. Thanks and greetings from London...

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Tuned and Synch'ed

I recently fitted the clip-on bars from the Racer on my Stone, and yes, the kit comes with a shorter cable to aid routing. You may need to adjust the clutch at the engine as well.

3. MLRanner

Thanks Hippo-drones! I didn’t see any adjustment at the engine end??? Where it located if you don’t mind me asking?

4. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Tuned and Synch'ed

I've not had to do it, so not sure. I am sure folk on here will be able to talk you through it

5. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

6. MLRanner

Thanks for the help!
    Adjusted at the engine end 1/3 turn clockwise and no noticeable difference (zero play in the able, biting point at the top of lever movement and still some clutch slip). I’ll give the v7 cafe racer cable a go which has 5mm more free cable).
    If it helps anyone else , adjusting at the engine end wasn’t a problem - used a Halfords Pro13mm spanner (a UK brand) which is very slim, an old vernier calliper to shift the adjuster then an old 9BA spanner to adjust. Did it all from underneath the swing arm where there’s lots of access. Thanks again for the suggestions and links

Louisv97, Mayakovski and Hippo-Drones like this.