• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

clutch screach... brake chatter

Mr GuzzoMoto...(japanese pronounciation)

I checked and it seems I should thank you for suggesting Europa Machina. I didn't remember who suggested the dealer so I checked around and found it was you so thank you for the recommendation.

Still need to wait for Ferracci to open in the morning. I hope they will have good news and if not I'll call the dealer you recommended...

Sincerely,
vivo

When i was having a problem getting my CARC bearing isuue sorted by a dealer, I managed to get the email address of the Piaggio After sales manager UK. When I pointed out to him that I was logging the problem and the time it was taking on several international Guzzi forums, the issue was sorted out very quickly.

Oh, and by the way, the sidestand bolts were the subject of a Guzzi srevice release way back, so it's a known problem.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the info...

I may need to go to another dealer which is unfortunate. Can I ask how you got the After Sales managers name and contact info?

Yesterday I put in a call to the dealer. I was told that he just spoke to the service tech the day before and that his contact said it sounded like my problem might be caused by a glazed clutch disc and that if Guzzi didn't cover it I would need to. The dealer said the bike would need to be taken apart in order to tell what may be wrong but this sounded like I would be paying for the repairs and it also sounded like BS. I was thinking... the dealer is closed on Monday but I am being told that they were in contact Monday with a Guzzi rep.. That's not very likely. I'm not certain a rep would be well advised as to what might cause a clutch screech... I may just be assuming he wouldn't? So a glazed clutch disc sounds like a guess, the same type of comment I was told when I took the bike and the dealer said that the noise was normal and it was the result of friction between the clutch disc and flywheel... so... today I will be calling first thing to ask for the name of the rep and his number. I also explained that I will not pay to have the bike taken apart and that this is a warranty repair and that it was first noted at only 600 miles. Unless I am a total idiot or drag racing a new bike, one not even broken in yet then I am at a loss as to how the clutch disc might glaze in the first place. That's not at all likely is it?

I also can guess that if a disc was glazed it might be refused warranty repairs as it would somehow be customer abuse or similar, would I be wrong in assuming this?

I'm not liking what I am hearing... so far I am not convinced I am being told the truth...

vivo

Today I had a meeting with Mr. Ferracci, it was professional, quiet and polite. He will be doing my bike personally he told me and we also talked in general about Guzzi. He's a nice man but I knew I needed to speak directly to him about the problem...obviously he wants to try and make a customer happy and said so.

The bike's coming apart this week, he'll do the job himself, my guess is better than factory fresh... it should have went this way from the begining but that's where we are now so I'm good with his word.

Oh, I should mention this... he has two 8v Grisos for super cheap right now! V e r y cheap. He also has a few Norges and Stevios and Brevas, if I tell you how cheap you won't believe me. I paid more for my 4v Griso, $1500.00 more.

vivo

Hi Art...

I guess lots of reasons could exist to tell a customer not to have the bike serviced or that the conditions seem normal.

I'm not exactly sure or would rather not say what went on with all of this. I work for myself and I stand personally behind what I do for someone. I put my name on it, my hands on the work and expect a certain result. When I accept a job the person gets me and I take that seriously, it's not always 100 percent but it's close and I make sure people are happy, there's a certain pride in this. I know Mr Ferracci takes this seriously too, he uses his family name and so do I.

I have no doubt about the quality of his work or what come out of his shop. It would have been nice if this went smooth but it didn't. I'll chalk it up to misunderstanding... I would also like to say I would have one eye open when it comes to warranty work and Guzzi. It's cool when things are taken care of right away but when it takes lots of pressure to get things done then it makes people unhappy.

I feel a lot better now. I can honestly say I do not like being forced into the posture I've been in. I really want to love my guzzi and we talked about that too. I know ferracci personally rides one and has good things to say about his.

So, it's gonna get fixed, I'm good with that.

vivo

ipo wrote:
Pete, this is not what Vivo is talking about. All of us owning Grisos are familiar with the ringing noise coming from the clutch when the lever is in and the bike at a stop. The noise we're speaking of takes place when one releases the clutch lever slowly as one begins to roll from a stop.

Hang on? I'm sorry but NOT 'All of us owning Guzzis' are familiar with the ringing. in fact it is one of the most common questions asked by new owners "Is that noise normal?".

Given that most of the participants in this contest to see who can take least responsibility for their own actions are *new* owners I simply thought it was worth mentioning to clarify the situation.

Neither I, nor you, nor I suspect anyone but the owners, has actually *Heard* the noise in question so I was simply puting forward the suggestion so that if it WAS likely that this would be the case the owners aren't alarmed!

If we want to have a jolly good whine about something perhaps you could suggest to me that I should sue Todd or Price Sloan becauee the prototype pipe I bought from Todd that was produced by Price has slightly wrong sized holes in the pipes that connect the Y piece to the headers. This means that I've had to, on several occasions, re-fit them and shim them up so that a.) They don't wobble and b.) they don't allow the ingress of air to play havoc with the O2 sensor signal. I paid a lot of good money for that pipe! I think it's an outrage that MY choice to fit a prototype aftermarket product to my bike can result in any sort of problem at all! It's obviously someone elses fault so I think I'll sue Todd and Price on principle! And I'll badmouth them from here to eternity, and Guzzi and anyone else who upsets me even the tiniest little bit or suggests that I might actually take a bit of responsibility for my own actions.

Alternatively I might do what I have done so far, which is check shit regularly and if it fucks up I fix it. If fixin' it one way doesn't work I just try another way. That's the price I pay for making decisions, be they about modifications or buying ANY product without first having done the homework on 'Reliability' or availability of skilled service back up in my area.

Sorry if this philosophy doesn't fit in with what people think they are 'Entitled' to in their cotton-wool wrapped world of the early 21'st century but I for one think I'd rather swallow a bullet than be so bloody hopeless and whiney.

Pete

Pete

Brilliant - I already had the thought that the forum could attach a sound clip as well as photos for owners bikes then others could listen to the sounds a 30000k Griso stock made compared to a 5000k Griso with mods X, Y and Z ...

Now think it would be good to have the sounds you were making when you typed that post (growling? laughing - nar!) ... I'm grinning

I greatly value advice from this forum which is why I'm here but like Pete says once I start fiddling from standard I know.

Without this sounding like a Love Pete mail (have you seen that photo!) I think does a great job of commenting on written descriptions of sounds that are causing concerns ... its a struggle to even describe the odd sounds my Breva makes

Pete - dont sue Todd , I'm dying to get my hands on the PCVm (laff, grin)

Art

I think it's obvious that when something gets modified and we are the ones making those changes than we accept other things might be effected. I put a Ferracci pipe on my bike, changed out the turn signals to LED, put on a Clam tail tidy and got one of his sticks to chack the oil easier. I didn't drill out the airbox or play with the air volumn because I read stuff you wrote Pete and know about the fueling leaness in closed loop so I did muck it up...

I don't think anyone likes to whine. I also think new guys have new bikes. New bikes do strange things sometimes and lets face it having cams fail or the Carc leak might not be so much fun but if the guy takes the bike to his dealer and they say "No problem" "Let us look into fixing it" Then I think there might be less whining but I may be wrong? I'm a new Guzzi guy. I know about a lot of things because of other posts on the subject, I'm as responsible as I could be, I did check my side stand and tightened up the nut after locktight was applied. If my signals F up the puter I'm likely to be unhappy but I can't blame Guzzi for that and I wouldn't.

After a few years and teething problems some of these new guys won't be so new and they won't have much reason to whine. You do know it's a bit insulting to assume that just because someone hasn't owned a Moto Guzzi they might not know that the clutches rattle , I think most guys read magazines and know about that kind of stuff but I guess it's important to mention that when trying to isolate a noise, especially when it's not possible to hear the noise for ourselves.

Well, I'm always ammused by the colorful character of some forum members, Guzzi through and through. I still have a chuckle in my head...

I've often though of running for dictator too...lol position taken already but at least by someone worthy of the position...

vivo

vivo wrote:
You do know it's a bit insulting to assume that just because someone hasn't owned a Moto Guzzi they might not know that the clutches rattle , I think most guys read magazines and know about that kind of stuff
One of the FAQs on all the guzzi forums which I look at is about clutch noise, which is why Pete mentioned it.

Yea, I know Pete meant to be informative... It's something like the big kids kicking sand in my face when I'm called a newbie... but I'm pretty thick skinned

Don't tell me I have to learn to smoke cigarettes and say bad words now? :cheer:

When I find out what happend in my clutch I'll post it, goddd I hope it's not a glazed clutch...better it looks like a grenade went off in there...don't want people to offer me cheese to go with the whine... not sure I was personally being referenced, just generic commentary likely...

vivo

vivo wrote:
Yea, I know Pete meant to be informative... It's something like the big kids kicking sand in my face when I'm called a newbie... but I'm pretty thick skinned
Are you saying that in future you don't want any suggestions made by informed people, in case you feel it is stating the obvious?

hey I still see myself as a newbie on here and know I've asked questions that may be in old threads on lost with the forum rebuild and dont mind being told so

I've been around the threads enough to see that Pete is one of the guys offering lots of advice. If he and others don't want the hassle of getting caught up in some disagreement over "I meant/you meant" then its gonna be much less useful all

gotta ask yourselves what the "givers" like Pete get out of this - like many who give a lot of answers (long descriptions, photos, back and forth) out of all proportion to the times they ask for help they must give far more than they get

lets not get too sensitive here ..

off now to start a stupid thread about Givi panniers

Art

vivo wrote:

vivo

Don't put words in my mouth. I never called you, or as far as I'm aware anyone else, a 'Newbie'. If I did I was probably pissed and apologise. Sorry, I never claimed to be 'Nice'. What I do try to do is help. Quite often nowadays it seems that shooting the messenger is a far more satisfactory sollution than taking on board information and advice and examining it, analysing it and if thought neccessary, acting on it.

The main reason WHY I continue to try and post stuff on the net is a.) because I'm still, at the moment, enjoying it, although the needle on the tacho is burried well into the red 'Oh piss off!' zone at the moment and b.) because if I can help people keep their bikes running there will be a supply of parts for my old shitters. Oh if the factory/ marque folds I can make bits or have 'em made, but it's easier to get stuff off the shelf!

Do I really give a shit of peoples' bikes are broken? Why should I? Not only am I never going to make a penny out of any advice I give I'll quite likely be insulted by people who, quite frankly, have the knowledge base of a mollusc when it comes to things mechanical. Quite often I will write fairly detailed explanations of 'How Stuff Works' for people who have contacted me on various boards and I don't even get a 'Thank You' email back.

So why keep doing it? OK Mate! You fucking tell me?????

pete

Hey Brian...

No, not at all, I welcome any kind of help. I was saying that I understand why Pete talked about the clutch rattle and understood the comment to be in the sprit of helping...constructive. At the time I said it I was surprised that someone writing to a motorcycle forum and a purchaser of a bike with a dry clutch would not have heard that dry clutches sound different that wet clutches. Not everyone is a mechanic or has that natural ability, personally I will admit I understand what I read and I've the ability to follow instruction but that I'm very green when it comes to taking engines apart and the like. Newbie certainly describes my mechanical abilities and I'm not saying I've been called one either... I've read about the knock in another guys bike and understand it had a real cause, one that caused the binding of a cam which may have been the cause of his intermitent knock, then again it's not long enough to know I think? But there was something wrong and it was eventually found... I know lots of guys here tried to help with suggestions, all good stuff and valuable especally in the light of the limited service options in some areas. I would think if anything this forum and others like it may be the reason some new guys purchase a Moto Guzzi. I read a little of the posts before I went and bought my bike. i've been on other forums and I understand that some bikes and owners will have problems and be unhappy no matter what manufacturer we are talking about, Japanese bikes are no different in this regard.

I don't know... sometimes things we say sound different than we intend and sometimes we say things we don't intend... I know I do.

I think all I wanted to say, and I may not have said it properly, was this... A new owner with a problem may have a real problem and given he doesn't have any history with these bikes he may come to the forum to ask for help from people be believes to be as close to expert as he has access to. Of course not every suggestion is going to hit the mark and some may be way off base and others may be totally wrong but because of the collection of suggestions at least the guy has an idea what could be wrong with his bike and the support of other owners. Pete's a funny guy and he makes suggestions because as he said He enjoys doing it and he has a funny green bike, that makes him Pete, no one else. I suppose I will have to be vivo as that handle is the last portion of my last name.

So, maybe a newbie has a problem and maybe it's big in his head and maybe he hasn't help where he bought the bike and maybe he gets upset and maybe he gets angry and says so on these pages. I think I had read another thread about newbies and still had that one in my head when I posted last...so my reaction to the word newbie might be misplaced? I should start a sign in thread for newbies...maybe start something positive :silly:

vivo

Hello Pete...

Lol.... how do you get away with saying bad words???? Pete, I may have misplaced my newbie comments, sorry but I've never been offended by anything you're said, all good colorful stuff...time to shift pete!

vivo

Shit, I had to edit...

Thank You Pete :lol:

vivo wrote:
Hello Pete...

Lol.... how do you get away with saying bad words????

Very easy. It's called 'Being an adult'. Look back over most of my posts and you'll find I very rarely curse or use invective unless I'm provoked. Thing is this is a MOTORBIKE forum, not Sunday School at your local Lutheran Chapel. I'm sorry, I'm a fat, coarse bastard. When I was 21 the Sex Pistols were singing 'No Future' beer was less than a quid a pint and if you hit your thumb with a hammer you said 'Fuck!'.

I can't help it if society has changed to the point where everybody thinks everybody else should behave as if they're on a church picnic and I'm sorry, I'm not going to start. I will continue to drink, smoke, swear and generally be uncouth if people yank my chain. Can't handle it? Get me kicked off the board or bloody grow up. I'm sick and tired of rich, middle aged, middle class wankers whining about how hard done by they are.

pete

pete roper wrote:
I will continue to drink, smoke, swear and generally be uncouth if people yank my chain.
pete[/quote]

I don't need anyone to yank my chain to drink, smoke etc :laugh:

Back