• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch slip in upper gears

Hockhog

Just got it firing!
Last week I bought my first Guzzi, a 2002 California Stone Metal with just under 2,300 miles. Everything seems great so far except the clutch seems to be slipping in 4th and 5th gears under hard acceleration. 1st through 3rd gears don't have any noticeable slip at any throttle position. If I roll on the throttle slowly in 4th and 5th I don't feel any slip but when I get on it hard the engine just revs with very little acceleration. Is there something I can do to try and remedy this or is my new two wheeled obsession going for an extended stay in the shop?

I believe you have a cable operated clutch.
Is it adjusted correctly? Much simpler than engine out.

Is there any evidence of oil leaking from engine/transmission into bell housing?
Oil will drain from BDC where housing mates to crank case.

I believe you have a cable operated clutch.
Is it adjusted correctly? Much simpler than engine out.

Is there any evidence of oil leaking from engine/transmission into bell housing?
Oil will drain from BDC where housing mates to crank case.

It is a cable operated clutch. There is a bit of slack both at the lever and on the clutch arm end.

I do see some oil showing on the bottom of the oil pan and directly behind the pan where it attaches to the motor (ahead of the cross member and crossover pipe.)

There should be more experienced people weighing in here.

Wipe your finger in the oil dripping down the back of the sump pan.
Engine oil indicates engine rear main seal.
Gearbox oil indicates gearbox input shaft seal. (this oil stinks, ok).

Either or, you still have to remove engine and separate gearbox from crankcase to access the seals, and while you are there replace both. OK!

Now the clutch, it remains to be seen whether it can be recovered from its lubricated state.
Conventional wisdom says replace it. If it continues to slip you will need to remove the engine again.

Oil contamination of fibre plates can be cleaned, but talk to the experts.

Also if it is transmission oil, it is possible it is from the clutch push rod seals. It doesn't really matter as to correct the problem the contaminated plates must be replaced, the intermediate plate replaced or cleaned and resurfaced, and while there, just get every seal you can. Also on some engines, the bottom two holes for the rear main are through holes. Those need to be sealed as well. I'm not sure if your bike is in that category or not. Let us know what you discover.

Thanks for the advice guys. My best guess is that it's engine oil I'm finding due to it's lack of odor and how thin it is.

Any recommendations on where I can find the engine seals online?

Hockhog said:
Thanks for the advice guys. My best guess is that it's engine oil I'm finding due to it's lack of odor and how thin it is.

Any recommendations on where I can find the engine seals online?

Engine oil shouldn't be able to get to the clutch. Once you are in there, do look for clutch contamination from the push rod seals. I think it is best to support your local dealer, but if you don't have one try here http://www.mgcycle.com/

John,

Is the clutch slipping in a higher gears a symptom contaminated plates? Never got this symptom from any of my worn clutches.

I've had major engine leaks and oil never made it to the clutch. But never had a push rod seal leak on any of my bikes. I thought that the holes in the clutch hub was suppose to throw the trans oil away from the clutch???

HockHog, good luck and stay away from Surflex clutch plates they chew up clutch hubs - well, at least mine.

Rafael,

If the push rod seals leak, oil is delivered at the pressure plate, then spreads back to the clutch plates. Engine oil as you noted doesn't get to the clutch plates because the flywheel encases the clutch plates. Oil from the transmission front seal can get to the plates, but not as readily as if the push rod seals are leaking.

Hey John, due to the possibility of push rod seals going hard through lack of use, 2,300 miles in 10 years, is it possible to change these with motor in frame.

ghezzi said:
Hey John, due to the possibility of push rod seals going hard through lack of use, 2,300 miles in 10 years, is it possible to change these with motor in frame.

Yes it is. Drop the swing arm, and pull the lever and throw out bearing. The rod and seals can be removed from the back.

My continued appreciation for your guidance. I do notice some fluid at the back of the transmission where the clutch linkage accesses it.

I found a local shop who's owner used to be a mechanic at a Guzzi dealership so I think I'm going let him handle this project. I'll follow up with the final outcome.

Back