• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Squeal

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
One of my friends has a 2007 750 Breva. After she held the clutch
in for a long time straddle walking it down a curved ramp structure
(she left the engine running and the bike in gear) she complained of a
squealing sound when she held the clutch in in first gear. So I
replaced the likely suspect, the through out bearing. Now I get this
from her

"Still getting that squeal and there seems to be a lot of 'ticking'
when I'm in a lower gear.
The squeal has been happening when I shift down into 2nd and into 1st. "

I'm at a bit of a loss to see what the problem may be. Any ideas?
BTW, the squealing is so faint, I can't hear it (I didn't think I was that hard of hearing) but she says she can. The "ticking" appears to be new complaint.

Got your email on this John. It isn't that she's dumping the clutch on the downshift and chirupping the rear tyre is it? I can't think of anything other than thrust bearing either off the top of my head. She hasn't been riding it with the cable too tight has she?

HAving said that Muzz has that problem with all the case hardening coming off one of his shafts and the two part bearing under (?) 5th breaking up. That was though a bit unusual and extreme.

Borrow it off her for a few days and see if you can replicate the noise??

Pete

She's not just aware of a new-to-her sound, which have been there all the time?
Things more strange than that has happened.

I'd use a stethoscope to localize if the ticking sound heritage from the clutch, gearbox - or the tappings. :mrgreen:
Squeal, well hope it's not. It seems like Muzz just took his first tour in 14 months....

Pete, Holt,

Thanks for the replies. I've made sure her clutch is properly adjusted. I check it whenever I see the bike. I'll see if I can get her to drop it off for a few days. It is hard for me to ride her bike as it is lowered and has the factory low seat. I'll borrow the stock seat from ours and see if I can get it down the road. Me on a 750 Breva is a bit like a bear on a bicycle!!

I now have the bike back and I've heard the noise. It is like a fan blade hitting something, sounds like a chirp. It doesn't do it every time the clutch is pulled in. I did find the transmission about 200cc low, Thanks GF, (It was serviced by a dealer in Dallas, for the initial service so I didn't check it at the 6K, should have). I took her out for a test ride stopped mid way and tried to hear the sound, (at a stop squeezed clutch several times with helmet off) none. On the way back, stopped at an intersection heard two chirps then it stopped even while holding the clutch in. I'm going to try a drain and fill with the correct amount of Redline and see what happens. The bike currently has about 8K miles on it. Anyone have a good guess as to the culprit?

Some kind of debris in the clutch housing? Part of broken spring or loose rivet hitting the ring gear occasionally?

Holt said:
Some kind of debris in the clutch housing? Part of broken spring or loose rivet hitting the ring gear occasionally?

But it is only with the clutch disengaged. When the clutch is engaged, no noise. Besides, the 750 has a diaphragm spring.

I was thinking of the anti-jerk plate springs, but of course you're right. Remains the thrust bearing(?).

Holt said:
I was thinking of the anti-jerk plate springs, but of course you're right. Remains the thrust bearing(?).

It is hard to believe the new one I put in would make the same noise as the old one. Anything is possible. I'll be putting the redline shockproof in today and I'll let you know the results.

It finally stopped raining. Filled the transmission with Redline and took the bike out for a good run. Shifting was good, and best of all, I didn't hear any chirping with the clutch disengaged. The sound was intermittent and if she still hears it occasionally I'll tell her what I used to tell car drivers in the 70s Just turn up the radio so you can't hear the noise. If it becomes constant, then that is something that can be found.

Hi John-
Whatever happened with this? Is the clutch still squealing? I'm getting the noise on my V7C. I took it to Rosefarm, and of course, it wouldn't squeal for Jim.
Which redline did you use in the tranny? I'll probably pick some up this week and give it a whirl. The heavy duty shockproof seems like it may be a little too think for the V7C.
I'd hate to use the redline and not get warranty service done if it gets worse, because I didn't use the recommended fluids.
Ken

Moto Fugazzi said:
Hi John-
Whatever happened with this? Is the clutch still squealing? I'm getting the noise on my V7C. I took it to Rosefarm, and of course, it wouldn't squeal for Jim.
Which redline did you use in the tranny? I'll probably pick some up this week and give it a whirl. The heavy duty shockproof seems like it may be a little too think for the V7C.
I'd hate to use the redline and not get warranty service done if it gets worse, because I didn't use the recommended fluids.
Ken

Ken, the 75W-90. It still does it occasionally. I don't think anyone has figured out the cause yet. I just know it isn't the throw out bearing as I replaced it and the squeal didn't go away.

john zibell said:
Ken, the 75W-90. It still does it occasionally. I don't think anyone has figured out the cause yet. I just know it isn't the throw out bearing as I replaced it and the squeal didn't go away.

Was the 75W90 the regular gear oil or the shockproof gear oil? If it's the shockproof, which grade was it? The heavy shockproof is: "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90." I'm assuming they rate it at 75w90?

After talking to a Redline dealer, I'm going to skip the shockproof for now. The dealer said there is no rating on the oil, and if I have warranty issues, they could be voided because of it.
He said the oil sticks so well to metal, the entire tranny would have to be stripped and each piece cleaned individually. This is a rare occasion when a dealer actually talks me out of buying something.

Meanwhile, the squealing is getting to be more frequent, so Jim at Rosefarm should have no problem finding it next time I go back.
It's at the point where it makes a small "chirp" when I downshift with the clutch lever pulled in. The intensity varies on how much the clutch lever is pulled in.
Updates to follow as they arise.

Moto Fugazzi said:
After talking to a Redline dealer, I'm going to skip the shockproof for now. The dealer said there is no rating on the oil, and if I have warranty issues, they could be voided because of it.
He said the oil sticks so well to metal, the entire tranny would have to be stripped and each piece cleaned individually. This is a rare occasion when a dealer actually talks me out of buying something.

Meanwhile, the squealing is getting to be more frequent, so Jim at Rosefarm should have no problem finding it next time I go back.
It's at the point where it makes a small "chirp" when I downshift with the clutch lever pulled in. The intensity varies on how much the clutch lever is pulled in.
Updates to follow as they arise.

Thanks for the update. Please let us know what Jim finds.

Back