• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch wear

nibor

Just got it firing!
I decided to do some cosmetic work on my breva 1100 06, The swing arm was stained and had some salt marks on the gear box ect .THings got a bit out of hand and have ended up taking the engine out and seperating the gearbox ,I would like to inspect the condition of the clutch plates but I have not got the tool to re-align the plates is there any thing to look for whilst it is assembled to give an indication of wear ? The bike has done 20k mainly two up there was no problem but seeing as I have got this far I would replace it if there was significant wear ,one thought was to take the gear box input shaft spline off and use it to align the plates like I saw in an earlier post and then return it to the gear box.

With only 20 K miles and without the tool I wouldn't bother to look. With the tool I would. The only way to check for wear on the plates is to measure them, but unfortunately Guzzi doesn't provide a wear limit specification. I do a comparison to new plates and make a judgement call. Do inspect the hub gear for wear. If you see grooves starting to wear (you shouldn't at 20K) then I would replace both the gear and plates. Is there anyone you can borrow or rent the tool from?

thanks for your reply perhaps i am being over cautious ,The input gear looks fine,thanks for the reassurance and yes that is London England .

Once upon a time (2000-2007) I owned a lovely little Kawasaki W650. Once the bike turned over 40,000 miles, I constantly worried about the clutch, and whether it was ready to give up the ghost.

I ordered plates (multi plate wet clutch .... probably half a dozen friction plates and a similar number of metal plates). After taking it apart, my buddy checked the thickness of a couple of the friction plates and asked " ....... we're changing these plates why?" Practically no wear.

I appreciate that the Guzzi dry plate clutch is a totally different design, similar to BMW dry plate clutches, but unless you've really beat up on the clutch, I'd think you have several thousand miles left before a clutch replacement is called for. My 1200 Sport with similar or identical clutch is at 45,000 + miles, and feels as good as new ..... no slippage, and good take up. I expect it to last at least another 45,000 miles.

The times (with BMW) I've had clutch issues was when the engine rear main seal failed and the dry clutch plate got saturated with engine oil. I always keep this mental picture of the little clutch plate that's transmitting all the torque and hp, and treat it with respect, especially since it's located where I don't want to go.

Bob

Back