• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Comparison questions

Kelvio

Just got it firing!
I appreciate all of the input on my N00b thread.
I have a few comparison questions if you guys can help.

I am a regular poster on the BMW sport touring website and have a few questions and some have brought some interesting factors to weigh in my decision on which new bike to look at.

1) The hot left cyclinder has come up. At 6'0" is that a possible issue? And is there a good fix to help with that?
I ride in shorts at times, I am NOT a typical BMW ATGATT guy. Is shorts even an option on the Stelvio, I also live in the so cal inland empire and we see summer temps over 100* F very often {hence the shorts lol}

2) The resale of the Stelvio seems a bit low as I have looked on line at some 2009 and up ones and they do seem a bit lo. The BMW GSA sure seem to its value which makes the high buy in price a little more offset at least.
Is that something you guys have noticed?

Any input would be appreciated. I want to do the best apples to apples comparison. The Stelvio is ahead at this point and if these type of issues can be justifyed in my head, it would be way ahead.

Thanks
Kelly

Kelly, in stock trim, the engine runs really hot, no denying it. Shorts might be an issue. I'm in L.A., and would be happy to help you get the bike set up properly (fueling, etc), in which the temperature drops immensely and the bike becomes infinitely more responsive..
Most people don't buy bikes for resale, and most that buy a Stelvio either keep it for a LONG time, or get rid of it within a year it seems (most likely an impulse buy I'd have to guess). Yes you will take a hit on it no matter what if you buy new. If you want to get the best deal, wait and buy one used. Hope that helps.

Some good info here; http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests ... io-ntx.htm

I don't think you can judge the resale value of the Stelvio NTX on what you're seeing as the selling price for the previous versions.

The last time I looked at Moto International's website they still had a leftover 2009 model for a very good price, this will drive down resale on those model years.

Since then however I think the newer Stelvio has been a very good seller and I don't expect there will be the issue with leftover bikes for incredible prices driving down the price of used bikes.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Todd, I agree that on most modern bikes it takes some fiddling to get them sorted properly. I just sold a KTM 530 EXCR and man that took a bunch of dialing and adjusting and jetting to get think running right. It overheated alot before I got the jets right. So I can see that reasoning. They have to run them so lean to pass US and especially CA. smog laws.

After dialing in the FI, would shorts be an issue?

An initial hit on any bike or vehicle is normal on a new purchase. I normally do not buy based on resale either, but when you are talking about a 15-25k purchase, having it worth something in 3-5 years would be nice. Bikes are constantly improving and who knows, there may be some new model I can't live without in 2015 and it would be nice to recover as much of my investment as possible.

The beemers definately keep a good amount of value, even when a new model comes out, you get alot of naysayers who still want the last bike, so even when the older bike gets a new model the older one still sells well.

But to get a GSA with side cases and abs, traction control, etc...comparable to the Stelvio, I think you are looking at close to $25k. Even if it was worth 18k in 4 years, that is still a 7k loss. If the 16k Stelvio is worth 10k in 4 years I am topside and without the HUGE buy in price.

Yet another plus.
These factors are still applicable to the Tenere though too. I am narrowed down pretty much to the Stelvio, and the S10 Yami. I REALLY like the Euro style and coolness of the Goose over the generic cookie cutter Yami, but dollar for dollar that bike is a great option as well.

Maybe "Coolness" should not be a bike selection factor, but that would put Harley out of business...not that I think those pigs are cool....anymore, after 3 of them I am OUT.

Thanks again, I am sure more questions to come. I would REALLY like to "join" the Goose club.

Kevio,
I have a new NTX. There is no way in hell that I'd ride in shorts. If you get caught in stop and go traffic your left thigh will roast. With that said, I just had my ECU re-flashed with the hope that I can lower the temps enough to possibly wear jeans on days when it's too hot for my normal Aerostich stuff. In a few days I'll be able to report exactly how much the re-flash has lowered the head temp. Even if the head temp comes down to 150F (from a high of 205F on a scorching day of slow traffic) your left leg is only about 6" from that heat source.
You can make the situation more livable by cocking your legs out from the tank so you have a bit more distance and better airflow. Still, shorts...not for me.
One of our members, Leafman60, is a long time BMW man. I think he has owned 4 GS's and one was a GSA. He will tell you that the NTX has the reliability and servicability that BMW used to be known for. I'm not knocking BMWs across the board, I own a 650. Still, we have to recognize that the current ones have some serious issues which do not plague the NTX.
There is no perfect motorcycle. In my mind the NTX is closer to perfect for me than any other bike. Yes, there is a heat issue but Todd and others offer a solution that seems to work for most riders.
You will find it difficult to locate a new NTX, they sold more quickly than they were built. That's going to be the story for the next few years because Guzzi is only going to build enough to fill confirmed orders, no warehouse full of unsold bikes. That's going to drive up the price for used examples. I'd go out on a limb and say that the NTX will have the highest % of residual value of any mass produced motorcycles, at least for the next 4-5 years.

:oops: Wild.. maybe the geometry of my bike is completely different or I just don't know any better! I am 6'-3" long legs and I have never have noticed a heat issue. Infact I find the sun scorching the back of my calf on those sunny days - hotter!! I am running Todd's "revamp", but it seems unlikely that that would make that much difference.
In comparison, test ridding the GS I slammed my shin into that cylinder a few times dropping my leg to the ground... not sure which is worse :shock:

Thanks for the replys guys.
pyoungbl,
I just went and sat on one tonite at GP cycles in San Diego. They have one on the floor. I might go back friday and demo it. They said I can demo it for less than 5 miles so as not to rack up miles on a non demonstrator.

But they had it there, unsold as of yet for $15,990 + freight and prep of $747 for a total of $16,737 then just sales tax and license for an OTD price of just under $18400.00

So close, and yet so far away.

I tried a GSA, KTM990A and an XT1200z before the Guzzi and ended up buying an NTX. The KTM was just too sporty and not comfortable at all, good fun though but not suitable for touring as the seat is like sitting on a stick. The Yam was a good bike, solid, good handling but it had a concrete seat, desperately uncomfortable. The BM was comfy but unstable folowing traffic on a dual carriageway, very 'weavy'. It was ponderous through corners, the screen was poor (I'm 6'2") and it cooked my feet. I couldn't live with that much heat on my feet, no way !
I took the Guzzi out for a spin and became aware of the best standard saddle I've had, decent, stable handling and a screen too low to be of any use. Sorted the screen with a Givi and an MRA spoiler. If you're going to buy a European bike buy one that's made in Europe not China...

P.S. just done a tour down to the South of France, accross into Italy, up through Switzerland and home via Germany & Holland with two BMW's. One blew up on the way down (K1200s - water pump & head gasket) and the GS cooked it's brakes in the Alps, warping both discs at the front. The Guzzi never missed a beat and hit 141 mph on the autobahn fully loaded !

Back