Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Cooling Oil Circuit Thermostat.

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by John Warner, Dec 18, 2016.

1. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I think I've mentioned on here before, that I'm planning on adding a Thermostat to the Cooling Oil Circuit on my Stelvio.

Most, if not all, of the CARC Models are badly over-cooled.
    Mine would struggle to get the Oil above 70°C once the Ambient Temps dipped below around 10°C.
    I've had my Cooler fully covered, with a cheap Mouse-Mat, Oil Temps are around 115-120°C in the low teen Temps ,105-110°C when it's around freezing.

The Mat is simply tucked under the top end of my home-made Engine 'mudguard', I can adjust to suit the Ambient Temps by sliding it up or down, it stays put at any speed.
    CoolerCover.jpg

Started on the Thermostat build in earnest now.
    Stripped the Tank and Plastics off, plus the Forks/Yokes (I'm fitting a Super-Moto style M-Guard to go with the Griso Front Wheel I have), and stripped the Rear (adding a Hugger, and maybe swapping Shocks).

I was unsure where the Thermostat Unit would go (I'm making it myself, using a Mishimoto 93°C Wax-Stat).
    I thought I'd have to replace the original Oil Lines, starting from 'scratch' as it were, but after playing with some Hoses yesterday, I found I could keep the originals.
    It'll be mounted down behind the Sump-Guard, I'm making up a new one anyway, as the original is badly cracked around the Mounting Holes (common fault), so I can make room for it if needed, plus add a 'Tab' to mount it to.
    ThermoCircuit1.jpg

I have most of the parts needed, just waiting on a Tap for the Hose Unions in the Body of the Unit, and a couple of Right-Angle Hose fittings.

I've gone with AN-6 Hose Fittings, 8.5mm bore (0.38"), 9/16UNF Threads.
    All the Oil Lines use the common 14mm x 1.5mm (Pitch) threads for the Banjos, and 16 x 1.5 for the Cooler Inlet & Outlet, which is common to a lot of car items I believe, I have an old Mitsubishi Pajero Cooler that I bought for another Project, and that has the same threads.
    Plenty of Converter Fittings available too, for instance to connect the AN-6 Hose-Ends to the 16mm Cooler Threads.

As the Cooler Circuit is Low-Pressure, you could go for Push-Fit parts, just use decent O-Clips for the Hose Connections.
    Banjos.jpg
    O-Clip Pliers.jpg

MickE likes this.
  2. John Warner

Not much progress yet, Christmas got in the way!
    Still waiting on a couple of 90° Hose Fittings to arrive as well.

Started turning down the huge bar of Alloy I'm making the Housing from, will continue when I'm back at Work (much better Lathe there than mine!).
    Originally planned it as a single-piece Housing, with a removable 'Cap' at one end, but I've decided a two-piece will be easier to machine, and 'tweak' if necessary, and still only one main joint to seal.

3. John Warner

Made a bit of progress with my Thermostat now.
    Had previously turned down a big Bar of Alloy roughly to size.

Now I've got it down to the right size, drilled the through-holes for the Bolts that will hold the two halves together, parted it into the two halves, and machined a shallow Boss on each end, to serve as the mountings.
    Thermo1.jpg

I've bored out one side to accept the Wax-Stat unit, which is slipped into an Alloy Housing, which will act as the 'Valve' to restrict/divert the Oil flow, other side still to be done.
    Thermo1a.jpg Thermo1b.jpg
    Still a bit of 'tweaking' to do with the size/shape of the Housings.

Next, I'll Mill flats on the sides where the Unions will be located, top ones are the Guzzi originals from the Cooler, they'll be the inlet and outlet connections on the unit, using the original Pipes.
    The black ones are for the new Cooler pipes, all the non-original Fittings are AN-6.
    I have Adapters to connect the AN-6 Pipe Fittings to the 16mm x 1.5mm Cooler bores.

When that's done, I can Mill away all the surplus 'bulk' from the two pieces.

The basic design . . .
    Therostat2sm.jpg
    'Return' Spring not shown, it'll go underneath the Wax-Stat unit.

4. John Warner

Sorry for the delay . . .
    Nearly done now.
    ThermoI.jpg ThermoII.jpg ThermoIII.jpg
    Need to make the End-Cap now (to go in the threaded hole).
    I decided to make it slightly adjustable, via different sized packing pieces (still to make) that will fit in the cap, and form the location for the Rod of the WaxStat unit.

The larger (16mm) Unions are the Guzzi originals, the original Oil Lines will connect to them.
    The smaller (14mm) ones are for the new Cooler Lines.

5. John Warner

Bit more progress on the Thermostat project . . .

WaxStat unit sits in the 'Shuttle', the Push-Rod locates in the blind hole in the Spacer, which in turn sits in the End Cap.
    Different sized Spacers will give me some 'fine-tuning'.
    Thermo2.jpg

Component parts of the 'Valve' Assembly.
    Thermo1.jpg

Top-End assembled . . .
    Thermo4.jpg

Might turn out to be at the Bottom once mounted, depending which way I decide's best for the Oil-flow.

6. John Warner

Milled away as much surplus 'meat' as I could, now Primed ready for Painting.
    ThermoIV.jpg

Was going to seal with an O-Ring, but I didn't leave enough space with the Bolts, So I've made up a Gasket instead.
    I've also opened up the Oil Channel in the top section a little.
    ThermoVI.jpg

The Dowty (Bonded Rubber) seals I ordered for the Bolts have arrived (in case of slight leakage past the Gasket edge), Just about ready to fit now.

7. John Warner

Sorry for the lack of updates Guys, so many other things to do in the last year and a bit!!
    Been running the Thermostat since April 2017, just over 6000miles ago (yeah, I know, I need to ride it more!!).
    Works great.
    Faster warm-up, and the Oil Temp settles at around 110-115°C in all weathers.
    Still drops a bit when it rains, as the Unit is directly in the line of fire of the spray from the Front Wheel.
    I need to make a little guard for it.

Thermo2 (2).jpg

8. boscoman

boscoman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

John, another good idea that I am going have to copy. Went for ride today (cool weather) & was surprised just how long it took the bike to reach 100c. Think it will be my winter project.

9. John Warner

In any temps below around 15°C, mine would never get to 100°, it usually hung around 75-85°.

10. boscoman

Ordered all my parts last night. Looks like the season may be just about over here so a good time to get it done. Last ride was 17C, & yeah, took forever to reach temp.

11. boscoman

John, I liked it so much I had to do it. Went pretty well. Just had a hard time deciding where to mount the T-stat. All in all I'm pleased with the way this went.

DSCN2569.JPG DSCN2570.JPG DSCN2571.JPG

12. Pete Bentley

Pete Bentley Just got it firing!

Nice looking fit. Did you reuse both the original pipes, but extended to the thermostat? I've just bought a Mishimotor stat, and trying to decide the best place to fit it. I guess picking up the bolts on the transmission housing to mount a bracket would work best.

13. boscoman

I only reused the hose that went to the heads but did end up changing the fitting on it. The stock fittings at the cooler are not AN & will leak even with some adapters. So they were all changed.