• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Crash protection and Ago headers

TombaLaBomba

Just got it firing!
Hey y’all. I’m not sure what compels us to contribute to forums, I suspect it’s the give and take nature of it. Like many of you, I come seeking information about my machine.

I have no interest in entering into a pissing contest; there are many explanations why two individuals offer contrasting info. So take it for what it is, don’t bother trying to lure me into a discussion about this.

In the event Lukesh’s comments put you off from getting the big bore kit, I have this to offer: The stock Moto Guzzi protection does protect the big bore headers 100%. I deliberately set the bike on its side (gently) to confirm this. No damage done, no contact at all with the floor and the headers. Yes, its close, but fully protected.

By the way, be sure to replace the copper gasket when swapping headers, otherwise a small leak may persist and this has consequences if you get the bike really hot, you don’t want cold air bending a valve or something.
Y’all will also require a plug for the lambda sensor missing in the US spec bike.

I would also caution stopping short of the recommended 18+ ft/lbs of torque on the header bolts, as the new header brackets bend, pulling both bolts to either side. Perhaps its just me, but I chose to stop just shy of the recommended torque values because of this difference with the stock system (stock header bracket is more robust and everything stays straight as an arrow).

Lastly, the Avion X Exhaust – MGH-V100S-AVX (from Mistral) pairs perfectly with these headers.

Take it easy – I’ll be turning 30 soon but hope to remain just as reckless.

Hey y’all. I’m not sure what compels us to contribute to forums, I suspect it’s the give and take nature of it. Like many of you, I come seeking information about my machine.

Good to know about the side protection. When I held a huge piece of cardboard up from the tires to the side of the bike, it didn't seem like they would protect the headers at all. Wonder what I did wrong? Anyway, I still want to build the sliders though, because in the event of a low-speed spill, I'd rather replace a little part than the engine guards, complete with re-wiring the aux lights.

Did you do any kind of fueling re-map? Like I said, in my experience I wasn't happy with how it was running, and all signs pointed to it running too lean. Are you having a different experience?

Oh also: yeah, regarding the torque spec... my header bolts were bent out from the factory. I don't think I tightened mine beyond maybe 10 ft/lbs. Todd gave me a verbal spankin' about this on my other bike, and basically said that these things aren't holding the bike together and to not overtighten them. Especially with how the ago system is put together, there is just no need to really crank down on these as the spring provides a lot of the tightness anyway.

Last edited:
I enjoy riding as much as I do wrenching. I’m rather new at tuning and certainly not one to give any advice on this front. That said, I do have substantial technical background and I am eager to see if my skills translate over to this field– so I am trying several things out, fully aware that I may grenade my own machine in the process. If I learn anything I consider valuable, I will of course share it with the community. Until then, I would recommend the obvious: follow the advice of those in the know, such as our host Todd and remap according to his recommendations. Alternatively, get ahold of the latest PADS (4.0?) by way of a friendly dealer and see if you can’t exploit the software’s capability, assuming you know how to program your own parameters and what those parameters should be.

As to your bespoke protection you mention, I would say don’t bother. Delta Bravo Kilo special parts manufactures precisely what you describe and they call it their Head and Collector protection kit (PTMG02).

Lastly, seeing where you are based, I remember my daily commute ripping down La Honda drive towards Woodside and for lunch stopping by Alpine Inn. $hit, the gas station right on the corner that intersects Portola Valley had this sweet yota Troopy sitting there. The bastard would not sell it for anything I offered. I suspect that troopy is still there, just waiting for somebody with fire in his belly to own him and take it places.

I digress, I did not evaluate the plugs as you have done, so I cannot comment in the respect.

As to your bespoke protection you mention, I would say don’t bother. Delta Bravo Kilo special parts manufactures precisely what you describe and they call it their Head and Collector protection kit (PTMG02).

1. These are hideous :) (to me)
2. I don't want anything that connects to the head itself. (Mine would connect to the bars.)
3. If I already have the engine bars (onto which I'm mounting the aux lights), then these wouldn't work.
4. I'd like more clearance when the Ago headers are installed. I don't believe these would work at all.

Regarding a remap using PADS, that's pretty much not an option at all. As far as I know, we have to wait for UpMap to release their map.

I agree, they could not be uglier. I misunderstood what you desired to have fabricated. Now you have peaked my interest, definitely share what you come up with. This bike is already heavy as is, so I have no qualms adding a little extra weight in the form of well thought out protection. I don’t want to throw this thread off course, but if you have any info as to what Öhlins model of steering damper works well with this bike, do let me know – either direct PM or in the appropriate thread.

Back