• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

cutting out

zebee

Tuned and Synch'ed
Every now and then, the Norge stops.

Usually when going quite slowly and almost stopped. The kind of stop that on a carbed bike you'd think "idle set a bit low maybe?" I have to hit the starter to get going.

Sometimes I'm doing 40-50kmh and the bike stutters a little and the ABS light comes on as though the bike has stopped and restarted. Sometimes it goes off fairly quickly other times it stays on for 20 secs or more.

Any idea what's going on?

I wondered if it was bad fuel as I did have a time when it was doing it absolutely reliably when going at lanesplitting speeds! Did it on 2 tanks worth then it was OK. THe spannerman said he'd had other clients with the same problem and suspected there was a bad batch of Mobil fuel out there.

BUt this current behaviour doesn't seem to be related to fuel.

Zebee

I would check for loose fuses under the seat. Maybe a loose wire to the ABS switch. Tighten the battery connections, especially the grounds from the battery to the frame.

Any error codes showing up ? The ABS light coming on at speed is a puzzler, do you lose the lights or do they flicker as well ? indicates a power loss of some sort. I would check all the battery connections including the ground (earth) connection bolt on the starter. Could also be a intermittent bad fuse that goes open monetarily with vibration or one that's not seated right. Look for the simple things first. Let us know how it resolves itself.

soon as i read it i thought fuses or a loose connection somewhere.
give the relays a few flicks, and also check your switches on the clutch lever and sidestand, and maybe even a quick spray of ACF - 50.
battery leads as well, and check the bolts are tight, but watch the earth lead to the engine as its easy to snap off.
hope its cured without too much hassle.

Can you exclude that you're slow-stalling the engine? There's a cut-off at or just under 600rpm — also the limit above which the lights come on.

zebee

Your problem was often reported with early Brevas and mine too suffered from it occasionally. It could be a dozy stepper motor but it's more likely to be just that the bike needs to be tuned properly. That means the throttle vacuum balanced and the TPS reset correctly. Once done my bike never gave the trouble again. There is plenty of info on this site about tuning Brevas and such, including posts of mine. Let me know if you need any assistance to find the info. Even if you aren't able to do it yourself, the mechanic you go to may benefit from it. Sadly not all Guzzi mechanics are up to snuff with tuning the newer bikes.

Graham

I had an occasional cutting out on my Breva last year, it was sudden and lights would die momentarily.

Initially I thought it was electrical, but it turned out to be water in the fuel, caused by the drain hose for the filler cap being blocked. This allowed water lying under the filler cap after washing to migrate its way into the fuel.

It's reasonably easy to check this hose. It had me fooled for about four weeks!

GrahamNZ wrote:
zebee

Your problem was often reported with early Brevas and mine too suffered from it occasionally. It could be a dozy stepper motor but it's more likely to be just that the bike needs to be tuned properly. That means the throttle vacuum balanced and the TPS reset correctly. Once done my bike never gave the trouble again.

Graham

TPS was done by Roper soon after I got it, and it's been doing this both before and after a major service by Dave Ward who does know his stuff so I suspect that can't be it.

I'll check relays and such, see if that helps. Problem is... there's no pattern to it doing it. Sometimes it is when I'm doing 40-50kmh, so it can't be revs below 600. When the speeds are low the road isn't bumpy and I haven't hit the brakes so it's hard to see what would make an electrical connection move then but not on the same road at the same speed before and after. It has done it when water hasn't been near it for weeks.

Zebee

zeebee

Hmmm. How about disconnecting the battery - negative off first and back on last - clean the contact surfaces of the battery posts and cable ends, coat with Vaselene of Di-electric grease and see if that helps. Worth doing even if the bike is running well!

Gtraham

++

Easy thing to do, and it's been reported several times that it was all it took to get rid of a series of strange phenomena!

Hi Gang

As pete would say ''check the side stand switch''

Mine was cutting out when I selected a gear and sometimes would go to stall as I pulled away.

I gave the side stand switch a good working with WD40 , hey presto alls good:)

Loftyjohn

More information...

when it happens at low speed, the electrics definitely cut out. The LCD goes blank and the needles drop.

I haven't had the opportunity to wait and see if they all come back as the times it has happened I have needed to have power now!... But I hit the button and the starter goes, so it has to have power to it then.

At speed, I didn't see if the electrics died because the bike has restarted by the time I get my eyes off the road and down to the clocks.

So I think the power does cut out, but cuts back in again quickly.

Trouble is... that doesn't really sound like an electrical fault caused by something moving or dislodging.

Zebee

Pete, I hate to disagree with you, but neither of those cuts off power to the dash, at least not on my Norge.

ZB: if it happens often enough at speed, take a couple of late-evening rides on a quiet fast road. You'll see if the dash cuts off completely too at high speed without taking your eyes off the road. Backlight is by LEDs, you ought to be able to see them flicker from peripheral vision unless the power cut is really short.

What happens if one disconnects the dashboard with a running engine? Does that cause the engine to stop? The symptoms might simply be explained by a faulty power connection to the dash computer, if so — causing interruptions long enough to power-cycle it, possibly caused by vibrations (engine stalls -> vibrations stop -> power comes back?!)

Back