• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dead Battery

Newstar

Just got it firing!
Can one of you answer a question and please excuse my girly technical ignorance? (I'm still learning!)

Last night, I rolled my Norge out of my garage and it wouldn't start. The dash did the light dance and there were lights lit however the bike didn't seem to have enough power to start the motor. It would not even crank - nothing at all happened.

I have had a Gerbing power cord plugged in under the seat since my last ride a few weeks ago. Could that have drained power even though the power light was not lit? I had assumed it would have been ok when the bike was not running and the manual switch was turned off.

I put it on a charger over night and will go check it shortly. I just want to know what I did wrong so I don't do it again, perhaps when away from home.

Tracy

Any load connected to the power cord?
If so, yes.
If not, no.

Don't know what sort of battery is OEM for the Norge, but I do suspect it's a standard Yuasa, which needs some maintenance - fill up the cells with destilled water, to the upper mark. Also need some charging during periods of no-use, since they will discharge themselves over some time.

Btw; if the power cord is connected directly to the battery, it will not be cut off when you turn off the key.

The Norge uses a SEALED Yuasa battery. You may be able to top it up, but not that easily.

Newstar, how long is it since you last used the bike? Over three or four weeks the electronics on the bike will drain the battery to the point it won't start.
If you have an alarm fitted this time reduces.
The only answer, if you are going to leave the bike for more than a couple of weeks is to put it on charge for a few hours every two weeks or so, or used a good battery tender permanently connected.
(My preference is the CTEK 3600).

Newstar,

If after charging it won't start, a possible culprit is the fuse holder for the 30 amp fuses. One of these failed on a friends Breva and I never could find it. Took it to a dealer and they got lucky and it failed continuity for them (after scratching their heads for hours), but tested OK when I checked it.

Invest in a can of ACF-50 and spray everything electrical, especially fuse holders and joints.
Clean your battery terminals and smear with petroleum jelly, and when your OEM battery dies, buy an Odyssey!
They are so much better and hold a charge for a lot longer.
The Breva and Norge electrics tend to run the battery down over a few weeks so put it on a charger like an Optimate, which gives a maintenance charge and you will have no more problems.
For extra insurance i ran an extra earth lead down to an engine bolt, and have had no electrical/battery problems whatsoever. :)

Guys, thanks for all the good info. The battery charger did the trick and I'm ready to roll again. Someone else suggested a relay switch for the Gerbings and I think I'll do that before the end of the riding season this year.

I was supposed to leave for a weekend trip this morning but we cancelled due to the weather and a family situation. As I look out this morning, I see this big bright thing in the sky....I think it's called the sun. After 11 straight days of measureable rain, I'm ready to ride!!!

Yeeeha!

Enjoy the ride, we've used our bit of the summer so you can have some now B)

Back