• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Deceleration exhaust noises

basaltine

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello All,

I have a 2009 Stelvio with the Mistral pipe and snorkel removed. Upon decelerating I gets lots of popping from the exhaust. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Chris

Its a little lean at the bottom of the map. Lean mixtures dont completly burn in the chamber and continue in the exhaust system esp with any slight leak that draws in some air. If you richen it up a little right at the bottom it ( by some method) should stop. Make sure you have no small exhaust leaks as well.
Ciao

What you are experiencing is what is referred to as "pop on decel." It's a lean condition. The fuel system is not fully adaptive and is delivered very lean for stringent emissions, even stock. When modifying the intake or exhaust flow, fuel modification is mandatory. I have several options in the GT Exclusive Products section (see my GT-Rx ECU mod, or PC-V threads), or feel free to contact me direct email using the link under my pic to the right.->

basaltine said:
Hello All,

I have a 2009 Stelvio with the Mistral pipe and snorkel removed. Upon decelerating I gets lots of popping from the exhaust. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Chris
Try and put the db-killer back in and see if that makes it a bit better (it may not, but worth a try).

I can already tell you it won't. Mine is in on my new Mistral Carbon Conical and I've got some pretty good decel pop. My service guy did a very fair TB balance, valve adjustment and general tune up and the bike runs almost smooth thru all ranges. There is that annoying 3500 ish range lag but as I'm about to hit the road, I'm living with it. It is definitely a lean issue and when I get to Sou Cal sometime in the next six months I may get it taken care of. In my experience, even a remapping won't entirely fix decel pop when dealing with an aftermarket can.

After I put the Mistral can on my Stelvio, I noticed quite a bit of popping on deceleration. This was entirely cured when I added Todd's O2 optimizer. The optimizer is now sold as part of his remapping package.

-Bruce

I get this on my aftermarket Agostini can more than the stock can. I quite like the popping to be honest but wondered if it damages the engine at all?

UKstridey said:
I get this on my aftermarket Agostini can more than the stock can. I quite like the popping to be honest but wondered if it damages the engine at all?
Running your engine even leaner than stock isn't likely to further its prospects of a long, trouble-free life...

Greyo said:
UKstridey said:
Running your engine even leaner than stock isn't likely to further its prospects of a long, trouble-free life...

Thanks for reply and I checked with my dealer who serviced it last Friday (6000 miles) and he said no problem with the can popping on throttle over-run (ie throttle closed) and it won't damage the engine. This dealer sold the can and fitted it.

GT-Rx said:
When modifying the intake or exhaust flow, fuel modification is mandatory.
Not to take anything away from your commitment to Guzzidom with your hard work here and great products, but I think 'mandatory' is a bit too strong. 'Recommended' would be more appropriate, at least for those of us who have non-OEM exhausts, OEM fueling, and are enjoying spirited miles on our 8V's with that combination.

Goodvibes said:
Not to take anything away from your commitment to Guzzidom with your hard work here and great products, but I think 'mandatory' is a bit too strong. 'Recommended' would be more appropriate, at least for those of us who have non-OEM exhausts, OEM fueling, and are enjoying spirited miles on our 8V's with that combination.
Fair enough, then I *highly recommend* fueling revisions on even a bone stock bike. The air/fuel data I've gathered on the dozens I've personally tested is incredibly lean... so even a stock bike would benefit, much less one that has been modified. This is based on real world/scientific data, not feel.

Back