• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Detail fettling Racer...

Godfrey

High Miler
GT Famiglia
The V7III Racer is well worked out by the factory, for my needs/desires anyway, so unlike most of the motorcycles I’ve owned in the past it really doesn’t require I do much to change or configure it.

Yeah, I know: there are always better brakes, better forks, better tires, more power, more displacement, etc etc. From my perspective, having done that stuff time after time over the past 40 years and some, There is joy in doing it all and seeing the results of your handiwork ... but most of it is usually unnecessary. My old 850T, which was totally stock mechanically except for the addition of Koni rear suspension units, was extremely satisfying to ride regardless of the fact that it had 1975 era forks, brakes, power, etc. I just learned to ride around its minor deficiencies and exploit what it did really well. All of the work I did to it was centered around jetting it correctly, setting up the seating position and controls to suit me properly, and painting it. That was enough: it worked brilliantly. :)

Racer is in many ways the reincarnation of that old bike but with modern equipment and more power, far better brakes. The seating position is spot on, for me. The controls are just right. The handling is great. The suspension ...

The only flaw I’ve found is that the stock springs are a bit light for my weight. I’m a big guy, I weigh about 260 lbs. I had a friend sit on it the other day and noted that the rear suspension even with his 220 lbs was sagging a bit too much, my additional forty pounds made the rear suspension bottom occasionally. While the right solution is undoubtedly a set of stronger springs (Todd’s working on that), the interim solution is to raise the preload and get the static sag into the right range. I added about 3.5 turns of preload to each rear shock (about 5-6mm if my approximate measurement is any good) so that the rear static sag is now about 35-40mm when I’m sitting on the bike. The soft windings on the springs are not quite coil-bound at this point.

I did a 17 mile test ride and the improvement is nothing short of fantastic. No bottoming, completely stable and flickable, the suspension now feels resilient and compliant with no harshness and tracks well even on bumpy pavement nicely. Man, those Öhlins are good!

I’ve been told the forks are only so-so, but honestly they’re fine for me at present. I’m not racing. Same for the brakes—I’ve put thousands of miles on bikes that had far far worse brakes and poorer forks, and never noticed that it slowed me down at all.

Totally stock, I have to say I have few complaints about the injection map. I know that it can be better, and am going to experiment with Todd’s custom map when my tool arrives, but it’s darn good right out of the box on this bike. That said, I am leaning towards buying a set of Agostini long mufflers (purely for the look and sound, really, although I know they’re much lighter than the stock mufflers and might increase power by a small percentage) so that will take a map upgrade to achieve the right mixtures across the board.

The stock headlight is a bit on the dim side given today’s technology. I mean, really: a 55/60W H4 is a 1970s lighting solution. What I’d really like is the Motodemic Adaptive LED headlight that I fitted to the Scrambler—expensive but awesome lighting!—and am working with Motodemic to make that happen. But in the interim, I bought the LED H4 replacement bulb from Todd and tested it last night. Aside from that I configured it a hair too low, it’s a good upgrade and inexpensive. And it takes all of 20 minutes at most to install, and one screwdriver.

Beyond these things, it’s a matter of personal taste and desires. I prefer bar end mirrors and had a set of the CRG Hindsight Lanesplitters, so I bought the bar end weighted mounts and fitted them. They work perfectly. There’s really nothing else I need for day to day riding and use.

I need a solution for travel luggage, that’s what I’m working on now. The high upswept pipes preclude most panniers, so I’m looking at things that involve mounting to the seat. I’ll let you know when I find what works for me.

There’s really nothing else for me to do other than ride, which is what Racer wants anyway. Get through break-in, do the first service, then rev rev rev! He’s a happy boy; wants me to ride him far and fast. I’m more than willing to comply. :D

No matter where you go, go there on a Guzzi.

Every time I read one of your posts it just makes me miss the old T again.

I am like you in the respect that I have always adapted riding "style" to the bike rather that adapting the bike to me.
Let's face it there was no internet or super bike suppliers in the '70's.
JC Whitney had some stuff for the English bikes & nothing for Guzzi.
And for a working man with a family doing "extra stuff" on a bike came way down the list after mortgage, food & utilities.

I don't know about you but I think bikes were a whole lot more fun back in the day.

Hallo, Trout!

I'm not sure I can agree with you. Riding was always an essential part of my life. I rode even when I couldn't do much else, with whatever money I had. It was a priority for me, just like the many other priorities of growing up and being an adult are.

Then I couldn't because my health went bad. It was one of the worst moment's of my life the day I resigned myself to "maybe I'll never be able to ride again" and sold all my bikes, all my gear, because I just couldn't stand to see them all sitting unused. It made me hurt worse than selling everything did. Well, it did hurt anyway and I hid the pain from even myself, tried to tell myself it was all right. It wasn't.

It took me years of hard work and determination to get back onto a bike, and I appreciate just that ... being able to do it at all ... so much more now than when it just all came easily to me and I did it because, well, it's what I did. The machines today are nothing short of miraculous in their capabilities. I can only wish that what I owned and rode forty years ago was as competent as even this lovely Racer is today.

A lot has changed in the many years since I owned my first 850-T3. The average bike today is incredibly good, what's truly remarkable is how good these Moto Guzzis were even then compared to so many other machines, and how Moto Guzzi of all the manufacturers has brought so much of that special character forward into their brand new machines while also imbuing them with the modern improvements that have become a matter of course. It's nothing less than a remarkable achievement that I hope they can keep on accomplishing ... both for my sake and for the sake of the younger folks who are just setting out on their lifes' journeys.

Riding today I can appreciate in ways that were far too difficult for me to appreciate when it all came easily. It's a precious thing. As is most of what matters in Life. Every moment counts, and the moments that I begin to build up on Racer are moments I cherish so much. :)

"...Totally stock, I have to say I have few complaints about the injection map. I know that it can be better, and am going to experiment with Todd’s custom map when my tool arrives, but it’s darn good right out of the box on this bike. That said, I am leaning towards buying a set of Agostini long mufflers (purely for the look and sound, really, although I know they’re much lighter than the stock mufflers and might increase power by a small percentage) so that will take a map upgrade to achieve the right mixtures across the board. ..."

I installed Todd's customized map for the V7III with stock mufflers yesterday and took a test ride to see what had changed. No need to experiment with it at all: what few complaints I had about the stock map are gone with it installed. No more cold-running flat spot, and smoother, stronger power delivery from bottom to top. A big win. Racer went from being a happy boy to being a post-puberty (and even happier!) youngster in the blink of an eye... :)

Now ... when the black Agostinis for the V7III Racer are back in stock, he's going to become a young adult and gain a deep throated voice. That's going to be so much fun! :D

Back