• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Disaster strikes

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Decided to spend the Christmas and New Year period in Mallorca with the family and thought it would be an ideal opportunity to have the bike serviced (10k), have some warranty work carried out and take in some fantastic roads. So the accommodation and ferry tickets were booked, car was duly packed with luggage and the dog, panniers removed, final checks carried out and off we went.
So far so good. Weather fantastic and not too much traffic this time of year.
Dropped the bike off at the dealers for the service and as the lower fork legs were being replaced under warranty took the opportunity to have them drop in the Matris fork springs, all good until I received THE phone call. While removing one of the left hand spark plugs it broke in half dropping into the cylinder which necessitated removing cylinder etc, unfortunately they do not keep any of the gaskets in stock and of course as its a holiday period and the parts have to come from Italy the don't envisage having this resolved for another two weeks!!!!!!!!! Looks like I will be travelling home by car.
To be continued................

I feel your pain. On my first maintenace interval, I had one of the right bank sparkplugs partily strip out. Seems the Italians are not fond of or never heard of anti-seize. I was able to finally get it out and clean up the threads in the head but the pucker factor was really really high. Two weeks for parts sound about right. Seized Sparkplug

wow thats a bummer i would think with 2 plugs they could remove both of them and use a small cable camera to find the dropped part then other plug hole could be used to fish the part out.
But this is the safest way to fix things.

BTW why are the forks getting swapped out under warranty

After approx six months of ownership I noticed quite a deterioration of the lacquering on the lower fork legs (check warrant rant post), and after a major bun fight with MG Spain and Piaggio they agreed to replace the lowers under warranty. I have had the new units powder coated prior to fitment.
I will post a full update when I get the bike back.

nice lowers,
I put some 3M paint protect ant film on the leading edges of my forks so they will not get stone chipped still looking like new

I feel your pain. On my first maintenace interval, I had one of the right bank sparkplugs partily strip out. Seems the Italians are not fond of or never heard of anti-seize. I was able to finally get it out and clean up the threads in the head but the pucker factor was really really high. Two weeks for parts sound about right. View attachment 14120
I read that NGK specifically recommends not applying anti-seize to its plugs as they are already coated with a compound to prevent seizing and that adding anti-seize might increase the occurrence of what you are trying to avoid.

Be that as it may, that NGK coating certainly did not work with the illustrated plug. Have used ant-seize ever since with no problems.

The NGK website states that if anti-seize is used, reduce tightening torque by 30 %.
And I have found cross referenced plugs as... Bosch UR22C and ND/Denso U24ESR-N

7BDBF2A0 93A3 49C0 BC8F B3965C2BB3CF 59AAE6BF 34A7 44C2 B6BA 95D7DA416A8B 1394B059 DBAA 4BB0 B020 A2AC9C887570 6625AE5F 983C 4CCD 988B 80AEA6F1F3D0 08A8E5F4 308A 48FD 9EBB BA1672AD1A2D The story so far, the parts arrived Tuesday and true to their word the dealers carried out the repairs immediately. So a short hop by plane to pick up the bike and a 60km drive back to the ferry port for the journey home. X ref Warranty rant post, the speedo and fork leg lowers have been replaced and the Matris springs and spacers fitted. In short fantastic ride, the front end is a lot stiffer and feels definitely more planted round corners, they certainly compliment the replacement rear shocks. So it’s lunch, then catch the ferry back home to reinstall the fuelling kit, fit the modified air box lid and BMC filter and give it some beans.
I know it was a while ago Todd but a big thanks for the suspension advice.

The NGK website states that if anti-seize is used, reduce tightening torque by 30 %.
And I have found cross referenced plugs as... Bosch UR22C and ND/Denso U24ESR-N
These plugs are not long enough 19mm the LMAR8F plug is 26.5mm reach

Last edited:
Todd/John, In light of this recent experience and the similar situation that LuftWolf faced. I, and am sure others would appreciate your comments or recommendations regarding the above, possibly replacing or inspecting the plugs earlier than stated in the maintenance manual?

Last edited:
That's a Laminar Lip deflector which I installed more or less level with the top of the screen. If you search the forum others offer various solutions to the buffeting that some experience.
Other items to consider, the MRA X Creen, and the Givi or Wunderlich deflectors.

Back