Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Ditch your key lock gas cap?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 23, 2017.

?

I...

1. Definitely want one!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Might want one down the road.

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  3. Am not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

For ~20 years, Guzzi has shipped the V7, Cal 11 and now the 1400s with the key locking gas cap shown below. If you live with them long enough, you know they tend to be a little frustrating and can end up bending or breaking your ignition key if you don't keep the internals lubed. For those who don't care about locking gas caps, or have ended up replacing the cap with another keyed version, I'm offering the knob below that will replace the key tumbler assy. Cost will be $49.95 in raw aluminum (as shown), or polished for $10 more.
    Purchase info HERE; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-gas-cap-key-knob/

IMG_1489.JPG

tonUPRacer likes this.
  2. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Will they work with the Sport 1100s too?

3. GT-Rx®

I believe the Sport uses the flip hinge configuration. If so, I'll have to take a look. This one will not likely fit it, no.

4. blakbird

Hi Todd the gas cap on my sport lifts out like the California.

96_Sport_Gas_Cap.png

5. Bandit1

Bandit1 Just got it firing!

I bought one from Steve Benton, a few years back. Love it!
    Don't remember the cost, but $50 sounds reasonable. You won't regret it!

6. GT-Rx®

Yes, I recall seeing his years ago, so I redesigned it as I didn't like the same as the cap size and price.

7. Bandit1

Bandit1 Just got it firing!

Didn't mean to make a comparison/connection, just meant to say the convenience is well worth the price!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  8. GT-Rx®

9. blakbird

Todd I was thinking flip hinge, as in flip hinge for the gas cap on a '78 Lemans. I, literally, just realised you meant the flip hinge for the flap that covers the key hole. The flap would need to be removed and, for aesthetic reasons, the diameter of the top of the knob would need to be a little over 2 1/4". Given the texture and color of the stock gas cap, I think i'll leave the stock cap as is and continue to use the key, and start spraying lithium grease in the key hole occasionally.

10. GT-Rx®

I meant the one pictured below. Hinged as in, flip up cap, non-removable from the bike. This knob will not work at all of this style. Yes, lithium and disassembly once/year is paramount to it working correctly, even with this knob.

[​IMG]

blakbird likes this.
  11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I would advise against using any grease in the key hole. Grease attracts dirt which can shag your lock.

The only lubricant to use for a key mechanism is powdered graphite.

12. blakbird

Kiwi Dave, Thanks, for the timely intervention I was thinking it's about time to "treat" my ignition locks.

13. blakbird

The amount of information, and knowledge, on this site never ceases to amaze me. There is is so much I don't know....

joejacobi likes this.
  14. GT-Rx®

Thanks Dave. My recommendation is to pull the assembly apart to lube. Powder certainly is best for down the keyhole.

15. blakbird

Ah-ha, I'm glad I waited (ok procrastinated).

I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit having reached for liquid wrench to 'fix' the resistance of locks of all types.

16. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

There is a product made by the "Dripless Oil company" of the USA which makes a product called 'LockEze'.
    This product is a small spray can containing graphite in a non sticky liquid vehicle.
    The liquid carries the graphite to all parts of the lock and then evaporates leaving a non sticky film of graphite which does not attract dirt.
    Cheers
    Brian

blakbird likes this.
  17. blakbird

organfixsing.

Good to know, thanks.

I took the easy way out and brought one of Todds key-less locks. Beautifully made and super easy to install. Added advantage, a reduced tendency for the filler cap to roll off the seat when pumping gas.

Interesting handle you have, I'm sure there's an interesting back story. Might be an idea for a 24x7 thread. ???

18. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

G'day Blakbird. The origin of my handle came about years ago, before internet became popular. I think I was connected to a Motorola site and was establishing my credentials. The suggested various things such as hobbies to make a user name. At the time I repaired womens organs (electronic that is) 'organfix' and was in a choir, thus the last bit 'sing'. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Another one I have used in earlier times is 'PEBSAK' which stands for 'Problem Exists Between Screen And Keyboard'.
    Cheers
    Brian