• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Does this thing take a special oil filter wrench?

Ray R

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I'm changing the oil on my Stelvio, and I can't seem to find a cap-type wrench that fits the stock filter properly. I tried my old-style BMW wrench, and it's too small by about 1-2mm. I went to my local auto parts stores, and the 74mm is too small, and the 76mm too large. Unfortunately, they don't list a 75mm wrench. Is there some special Guzzi wrench you have to buy?

yes Harper and MG Cycle both have it for the newest UFI filters that have 14 sides on them

Once you get the stock off, you can go to the Bosch 3330. The BMW filter wrench is a perfect fit. Torque the new filter to 15Nm. Harbor freight has a set of cast filter wrenches. One in the set is a good fit for the UFI, at least the old one. If you just need to get the old one off, one of these in the tool kit is nice to have http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ckType=G83

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I tried one of those universal fit wrenches. It just spun. Maybe the one I have isn't top quality, as I got it from my local Autozone.

I'll try MG cycle.

Just be sure to check which UFI filter you have. The older models were 8 sided I think and the newer ones are 14 sided.

MG Cycle and Harpers have both wrenches(caps) I think.

I had two of the old-style BMW filter wrenches. And since I no longer have any old-style BMWs, I took a Dremel to one of the wrenches and ground it until it fit. I still had to use a hammer to tap it onto the old filter, but at least I was finally able to remove it. And I got the new filter on snug enough.

BTW....I have the Stucci Luigi engine guards and skid plate. Even though the skid plate has a hole for the oil filter, you'll want to remove the plate anyway as the drain plug and filter both have oil covering the skid plate if you don't.

I placed my order with MG Cycle for the new wrench.

And now a word about adding oil. You have to remove the dip stick and the adapter? And then use a special funnel to get through the engine guards and exhaust to get the oil in that hole?

I thought maintenance was supposed to be easy? :)

I received the wrench from MG Cycle today. It's for the 14 flute filter. Unfortunately, the filters I got from my dealer last week have 10. Crap.

I don't care what Pete says. I can see perfectly well why people switch to the Bosch filter or some other quality alternative to the UNI. You need a whole box of tools just to be sure you have the right one depending on the day of the week! :eek:

Ray R said:
I received the wrench from MG Cycle today. It's for the 14 flute filter. Unfortunately, the filters I got from my dealer last week have 10. Crap.

I don't care what Pete says. I can see perfectly well why people switch to the Bosch filter or some other quality alternative to the UNI. You need a whole box of tools just to be sure you have the right one depending on the day of the week! :eek:

If the service rep for MGNA recommends the Bosch 3330, that is good enough for me. Besides, Bosch makes the filters for BMW (and you know how picky BMW is) which is why the 3330 uses the BMW filter wrench.

And it just so happens the Bosch 3330 also fits my SMART car. And my 1200 Sport. So there's an added bonus.

Edit.....Oops...wrong....the Smart takes a 3300.

My dealer used the Guzzi filter key to remove the filter, but had to modify it by using self tapping screws in the top of the key in order for it to grip the filter properly.
I bought a filter key off ebay for the UFI filter, the key seemed a perfect fit, however I had the same problem as my dealer, it just twisted off (which suggests these UFI filters have to be screwed on very tight to prevent leakage) I fitted a couple of self tappers as per my dealers idea, and it worked.
I think I may change filter brand to Hiflo (is it the 551?) perhaps the Bosch if available locally. How do the flow rates and pressure release valves compare with these brands to the OE fit UFI? How many miles have people covered on their Guzzis with the Bosch/Hiflo filters, are they confident they are up to the job? I ask this as I generally buy OE filters for all my vehicles unless I can be 100% sure the pattern part is up to the job.

While there are filters I would heartily recommend NOT using (Fram f'rinstance!) there are a host of aftermarket ones that are just fine. The only reason I bring up the filter choice question at all is when people start saying they can't get one or that they are too expensive.

An oil filter isn't something you ever need in a hurry. Order a couple from any of the reputable mobs, throw in a gasket or two and an air filter, stick 'em on the shelf for when you need them. As for cost? Please! You change it every 10,000Km! whether it costs you five bux or twenty is essentially meaningless. If you are so impoverished that you have to watch the pennies to that degree what the hell are you doing riding one of the most expensive motorbikes on the market? Are you a moron?? Or do you just have some sort of sense of 'Entitlement' to it and expect the rest of the world to pay for your 'lifestyle' that you really can't afford? Actually the two go hand in hand methinks.....

Pete

Pete I love your comments, they always make me smile, even if its a crap day!

If you find that you don't have the right filter spanner you can always use the old fashioned approach, big screwdriver and a hammer!

Hand tight is good enough for the new filter.

pete roper said:
While there are filters I would heartily recommend NOT using (Fram f'rinstance!) there are a host of aftermarket ones that are just fine. The only reason I bring up the filter choice question at all is when people start saying they can't get one or that they are too expensive.

An oil filter isn't something you ever need in a hurry. Order a couple from any of the reputable mobs, throw in a gasket or two and an air filter, stick 'em on the shelf for when you need them. As for cost? Please! You change it every 10,000Km! whether it costs you five bux or twenty is essentially meaningless. If you are so impoverished that you have to watch the pennies to that degree what the hell are you doing riding one of the most expensive motorbikes on the market? Are you a moron?? Or do you just have some sort of sense of 'Entitlement' to it and expect the rest of the world to pay for your 'lifestyle' that you really can't afford? Actually the two go hand in hand methinks.....

Pete

Eh? I hope that reply isn't to my above post. If it is then I take offence to the second paragraph.
I know about the reputed poor quality of Fram filters, I normally do have a few filters in stock for my various bikes and cars. Cost is not important to me (quality and availability is), I often change oil and filters at less than the manufacturers reccommended interval. I am certainly not impoverished, I'm certainly not a moron, however I don't understand your question about 'sense of entitlement' so maybe I am a bit stupid.
I believe I asked a fairly straight forward sensible question regarding the quality of other certain filters that I and others may consider buying. I don't think that deserves what appears to be an abusive rant, or maybe I'm just a bit hormonal, slightly paranoid and awfully delicate, and somewhat desensitised to antipodean humour and banter. :huh:
If I am mistaken then I apologise.

'Hand' tight isn't good enough on the CARC bikes, (Bellagio excepted.) because the filter sits in a recess in the sump. You can't get your fingers on it to exert enough torque to tighten it adequately and the results will be, errr? Nasty!

A cap wrench of the right size is hardly worth ignoring when the alternative is a torched crank.

Pete

fatal said:
Eh? I hope that reply isn't to my above post. If it is then I take offence to the second paragraph.
I know about the reputed poor quality of Fram filters, I normally do have a few filters in stock for my various bikes and cars. Cost is not important to me (quality and availability is), I often change oil and filters at less than the manufacturers reccommended interval. I am certainly not impoverished, I'm certainly not a moron, however I don't understand your question about 'sense of entitlement' so maybe I am a bit stupid.
I believe I asked a fairly straight forward sensible question regarding the quality of other certain filters that I and others may consider buying. I don't think that deserves what appears to be an abusive rant, or maybe I'm just a bit hormonal, slightly paranoid and awfully delicate, and somewhat desensitised to antipodean humour and banter. :huh:
If I am mistaken then I apologise.

Try focusing on the first paragraph then. Jesus wept.

Pete

pete roper said:
A cap wrench of the right size is hardly worth ignoring when the alternative is a torched crank.
And that's the crux of my debate. Finding that cap wrench of the right size hasn't been easy. Once I find this elusive beast and add it to my drawer of "almost" cap wrenches, I'm sure, going forward, my maintenance woes will be over. That is, at least until UFI comes out next year with a newer/better 12 fluted version of their big block filter.

Until then, I now have the 8 fluted version coming to join my 14 fluted version from MG Cycle. And my dealer has suggested they may start stocking the Bosch filters. :lol:

I have a cap filter wrench size B. It's always a real tight fit on the UNI filters. Bought it from Autozone.
I always have at least 1 extra UNI filter on hand just in case. I will not use Fram.
I have also had the filters come loose a little over time, so I check it about every 500 miles or so along with my tire pressure and other vital components.

pete roper said:
'Hand' tight isn't good enough on the CARC bikes, (Bellagio excepted.) because the filter sits in a recess in the sump. You can't get your fingers on it to exert enough torque to tighten it adequately and the results will be, errr? Nasty!

Pete

Best I get one of these cap wrenches then, glad I've got a few filters with the same number of flutes!

I purchased a filter wrench for the wives BMW F650GS twin and it fits perfectly on the PureOne synthetic oil filters I use on the Stelvio.

Now talk about stupid pricing of parts.........the pint size oil filter on her F650GS Twin is $17.00 at the BMW dealer. I need to find the Bosch replacement part #.

Back