• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Drive Shaft Replacement

Niko

Just got it firing!
I was going through the routine maintenance table of the new California and on the top of the list is this: " Drive Shaft - Replace every 70000 km (43495 mi)". I am new to Guzzi and intend to buy the new Cali, however is that a routine procedure to replace the drive shaft that often, or do I miss something. Or is that something new only for the 1400 California. I would appreciate the input of the more experience Guzzists on the forum.

It would be normal to assume that something like universal joints may have a service life.
The 14 being heavier and having more torque than previous models, maybe this part is not expected to last forever.

Is the part (drive shaft) a complete unit incorporating the universal joint?

ghezzi said:
Is the part (drive shaft) a complete unit incorporating the universal joint?

I am not sure, I will wait on some of the know how people to comment on that one, but I could try to do more homework to find out the answer of your question.

If it's the case, you'll see a lot of these bike for sale when they reach 6000km or so...
I hope it's only about the U joints if the bike is set up that way.

Edit: I meant 60000 km...

Firstly, how long will it take you to clock up 70k?
Secondly, if it is super expensive and regular customer demand ensures, some enterprising bugger will come up with a solution to fix it betterer and cheaperer.

How much would you spend on chains and sprockets (or belts) on other brands in that time?
Maybe the parts will never wear out, it could be that Piaggio want to increase profits through more consumables during routine maintenance schedules.

Buy it! (and buy a bloody OEM oil filter first time up to find your cheaper alternative)
Ride it!
Like ya dog when it breaks, fix it! :cry: (or .......................... shoot it! :evil: )

we have managed to rebuild the cv joints on the older guzzis surely we should be able to do the same on the Cali ?
I have also found that the life of the UJ depends intirely on your ridig style
[found a photo on the net of someone wheelying a Cali , so even with the long wheelbase , it can be done!

U/J life is also highly dependent on the state of the cush drive system. I have no idea how that works on the new Cali though. I do know on the old Calis, a seized up cush drive in the back wheel will kill a new U/J in very few miles.

according to the parts manual ,it is the same as the older guzzis [i always took half the cushdrive rubbers out of customers bike , and mine , whenever i took the back wheel out for the first time , and then smeared every thing in rubber grease ] the Italians have always been know for their stingyness with any grease on their bikes, they also seem to have gone back to the huge cushdrive spring in the gearbox which , I have at times, found to be broken! Nope , i was wrong ,according to the parts manual ,, they are still on thackery washers

ghezzi said:

For a lot of people, it will take years.
But for me, 4 years. I racked up over 30K miles in 3 years so it's roughly 50.000 km.
A member here put 35K miles in his first year on his Griso...
For him, it's a less than a 2 year affair to reach 70.000 km.
If the 1400 Cali replacement parts are as costly as the CARC system ($4500 or so), you're looking at a shit load of chains and sprockets to make up for that cost.
Having said that, I got the feeling that the new Cali system won't be outrageous to replace because we will have a lot of disappointed folks.

Brian UK said:
U/J life is also highly dependent on the state of the cush drive system. I have no idea how that works on the new Cali though. I do know on the old Calis, a seized up cush drive in the back wheel will kill a new U/J in very few miles.

What are the signs that the cush drive needs service/replacement?

How do the CARC cush drives differ from the SB? I've taken a B750 apart (just finishing reassembly) to replace the main seal and the rubber cushes at the rear wheel looked fine - no hardening, flexible - but would like to know what I should be looking for as the 'not to ignore' signs.

While I'm asking - what are the signs of a U-joint aging, would it be play (side-to-side or front-to-back) in the joint connection or something else?

As i said in an earlier post , I normally take half the cush drive rubbers out [in pairs , of course because I feel that having all the rubbers in does not give enough of a cush drive affect. {i have a shopping bag full of cushdrive rubbers in my workshop, I wonder if Guzzi will do a buy back?, as for the old Guzzi U.J.s put the bike into 1st gear ,take up the slack on the back wheel , and then try to turn the wheel further , without, of course turning the gearbox , and if it can move further ,then it is time to check for drive line wear ,,, Also often the R/H footrest vibrates badly , which is a sign that either the U.J. support bearing or the U.J needs investigation. Any play in the U.J. is BAD!. I always drown all the splines in copperslip whenever i can see them as well

nbg08

The small block drive train doesn't have much in common with the Tonti bikes and especially the new CARC bikes. The cush system in the small blocks appears to be just fine as delivered, it not a pain when changing a rear tire.

So, don't pay much attention on what is done on the big block machines, unless you acquire one in the future.

Hi Charlie, John,

Thanks for the replies and extra details.

We're fully guzzified with both the b750 and Norge (2V), most likely with more to come. Because we're going to keep these for a long while I was curious about what to look/listen for as the miles add up.

We hit all the splines and spline collars with Honda moly 60 during reassembly. Luckily all were previously greased - the dealer had hit them with some copper grease/anti-seize when he replaced the gearbox seal under warranty. So this was the second full lube treatment to driveshaft and attached components. Hopefully the last for a while!

Trout said:
ghezzi said:
8 months 12,000 miles for me. Somebody else will have to do the math for the 70 figure
Keep in mind 70k kilometers=44k miles. On my last BMW I did 38k miles in 24 months.

Back