RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Dropping the Guzzi

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by Laborant, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Laborant

Laborant Just got it firing!

Hi!

I'm sure somewhere on the forum is the answer I'm looking for... but couldn't find it. Guzzis have protruding engine parts... so my question - if U drop Guzzi it automatically means - tow truck?

2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

no

john zibell likes this.
  3. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti

Same as with any bike. It all depends on the circumstances of the fall, speed, angle, surface, etc.

4. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    What "they" said. ^^^^^

I have visited the pavement more times than I care to remember. In all cases -- from mere "drops" to more serious "Oh Shix ... I'm going to die!" :eek: events, I was -- despite ATGATT -- usually in more of a hurt than my Guzzis.

In other words, I have ridden motorcycles home when I should have called an ambulance, i.e., with broken bones, etc. :cry:

Machismo is a powerful force, often overriding common sense and good judgment. ;)

Seriously -- tho all of the above was -- there are accidents that mean tow truck. There are also ways to avoid some damage.

Some surprisingly minor events mean your machine may be unrideable. See, e.g., this for that: https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-eccentric-folding-toe-peg

And, depending on model, crash bars can help; see, e.g., these: https://gtmotocycles.com/search?type=product&q=crash*

Best wishes for your question remaining rhetorical. :clap:

Bill

Mayakovski likes this.
  5. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

The wife and I have had a few differences of opinion with our respective Guzzi's (i.e., we thought we should be going one direction and our Guzzi though we should be going a different direction). We have never had to get it towed home. We have always managed to ride them home. I do recommend cylinder head guards that bolt to the head in some form or other. Some Guzzi's come with them stock, like my Griso. But having them is a good idea. One issue I have seen is the spark plug and spark plug boot getting mangled. We carry spares whenever we are going for more than a day ride.

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Laborant

Laborant Just got it firing!

Thank you all for your replies!

7. kiwi croc

kiwi croc Tuned and Synch'ed

I dropped my 1200 sport and followed it 20 meters down the road on my arse untill it stopped against a traffic island ,it had quite a bit of cosmetic dammage but i was still able to ride it home. As you can see the standard head protectors work well

Attached Files:

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Worthy of note to those reading this (and despite the many that will want to debate me on it)... I have been involved with several major engine failures over the last 10 years (mostly on 1100-2V motors), where piston/rings/cylinder destroy themselves due to cylinder studs being bent from everything from parking lot tip-overs to moving falls. This drops tons of metal into the bottom end and trashes the motor. Yes it can be rebuilt, but easier to replace the motor in this instance.
    I'm not posting this to scare anyone, but it is worth the time to inspect everything from even the most minor falls; Pull and check the studs as a minimum, and on the 8V motors, valve gear since the valve covers are bolted to them. Most of the time you will likely be OK, but it has shown to be prohibitively costly if things go south.
    I have a 2015 Griso 1200-8V right now that likely fell victim to this. I will post info as it comes apart.
    Crash-bars are cheap insurance IMO, and I run them on all of my bikes that can easily accept them.
    All said, my first Guzzi had been down a few times (minimal impact to the valve covers only), and it made it 265k miles. The motor was still running great when I pulled it out to build it into GTM-01.5.

9. kiwi croc

kiwi croc Tuned and Synch'ed

I dropped the bike early 2011 with about 25-30,000klms on it and it has now done just over 80,000klms with no problems.

10. GT-Rx®

Results of a low speed tip over with a 2015 Griso below, taken apart in my shop today. Visual valve cover impact was minimal. Cylinder studs bent and caused excessive wear on the piston... took out the rod/crank bearings and crank journal. Put crash-bars on folks.

D9AE99C4-4A92-42DA-890B-8063BB540C8E.jpeg
    B232A15F-6D76-413B-A63D-09AB24482F12.jpeg
    EF2E47E4-9281-4FBC-B0C2-B25992879FCC.jpeg
    B64956A1-07A3-494B-9C8B-DB8F0F464D46.jpeg
    868D1B3F-146B-4339-9E0B-C921BF5D6552.jpeg

Poppe likes this.
  11. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Looks like Guzzi isn't building them like they once did.

12. Duane Beery

Duane Beery Just got it firing!

I low sided mine a couple of months back. I couldn't believe it, no damage to the motor or the tank. I have a Breva 750 so maybe the twin exhaust saved the important bits? I did break the mirror, signal, scratched the wind screen and exhaust guard. But i picked it up and rode it home.

13. guzzigray

guzzigray Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi Todd. Do you think it possible to install the under piston spray jets from an 4 valve engine into a 2 valve block ??

14. GT-Rx®

Ghezzi did it with internal plumbing (which led to the factory finally doing it rumor has it), so with a handful of work, answer is yes.

Poppe likes this.
  15. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti

265,000 miles? Damn that's amazing....and still going in the 01.5. Unreal, gotta love the 8V.

16. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Me thinks that's Todds old Jackal, no? Should be a story in itself.

17. GT-Rx®

Yes, the 265k was on the 1100-2V motor(s), ~165k on the stock engine, which was still running strong when I replaced it with a modded V11 Sport motor; Which had ~100k on it when I converted it to GTM-01.5, now powered by the 1200-2V motor.
    History of my Jackal here; https://archive.guzzitech.com/thebikes/ToddsJackal.html

[​IMG]

18. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

For too many years custom builders have placed form over function. If it looked weird, and was impossibly hard to build, you would win the big price, weather it was rideable or not.
    Here is a clean custom where everything is improved; wheels, brakes, comfort, performance, ergos and suspension. Even cosmetics.
    Back in the '90s, long before the café racer craze, I built a couple of customs that ended up featured in our national mag up here.
    I look at my Jackal, and the hacksaw hanging on the wall with un-pure thoughts going through my head!
    However, I'm retired, so there is no time for this kind of indulgence anymore......

GT-Rx®, Adam Davis and Mayakovski like this.
  19. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Must buy new blades for hacksaw.............

Nordicnorm and Mayakovski like this.