• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dyna III trouble, coils, or?

Sahms

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So I recently got a 77 LeMans 850 back on the road after a 22-year sleep. The bike had a Dyna III installed, so I left it in, and it sparked both cylinders (although the spark on one side may have appeared a little weaker than the other). I checked and cleaned all the conectors and went thru the distributor, and timed it dynamically.

The coils that came on the bike were some generic-looking ones and they were horribly corroded. They measured about 4 ohms. I swapped them for some OEM Guzzi coils I had laying around that Chris Collins sent me that measured 3.4 ohms.

The bike starts right up, usually on the bump, but after a long ride wants to die at idle and then doesn't want to restart, maybe one cyl worse than the other. Let it sit five minutes, not even enough for the motor to cool, and it starts right up on the bump and settles into a perfect idle again.

The motor's fresh, and compression is 175-180 on both cylinders. Jetting is stock and the plugs look ok, although after a 100-mile ride Saturday they had a little dark spot on one side, and one was a little darker than the other.

No smoke, and the motor sounds fine.

I gather the "normal" Dyna failure mode is a cylinder dropping out. Does this sound like a coil failure? What's a good coil to use other than the Dyna black coils (which are now the recommended coils per Dyna over the greenies, I think)?

TIA

Fred,

This does sound like a coil issue. If you have a foreign car parts handy, the stock 12 volt coils for a VW beetle (the original one) should work just fine. In the 80s, I even used the blue coils you could get at Walmart at that time.

I know this is an old thread now , but when I first got my T It would only run for about 5 mins before dropping one pot, this I traced to the module ( dyna lll) Before replacing the module I did check with dyna , that it would run with the standard 3.5 ohm coils,they said yes , but no would have been more correct . Both the coils and the module got to hot to touch in only min's. I then see in the box it came in, a bit of paper with the bad news , coils must have at least 5 ohms. Being a tightarse I fitted a ballast resistor to each coil which fixed it but in the end I got pissed off with all the crap accumulating under the tank and coughed up for the 5 ohm coils. The thing is that neither the original module or the coils got hot , it just dropped that one pot . Without getting to technical this must have summat to do with the dwell angles ( I dont have a dwell meter ) :)

I think you need to get a new coil and coil pack. I think that's where the problem starts and a new coil pack will solve this.

Back