• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early Impressions V100

Filling up takes a bit of practice, but the first thing I recommend is make sure the nozzle is as straight in as you can get it, don't have it resting against that plastic filler thing. The other is don't even try going full speed filling it up, I can usually manage about half on the nozzle with it splashing if get the nozzle pointing almost straight in without much of an angle.

Since this is an early impressions thread, I’ll post mine here…

V100S at 2500 miles - Impressions…

Here’s my story thus far… I ordered the bike on 3/16/23. Received it 4/26/23. The next day it went back to the shop for a RPM sensor because it would repeatedly die after running fine for about 8 miles. Ordered the expedited $20 part from Italy, and waited. All in all, the bike was in the shop 26 of the first 54 days following receipt (includes first service, vibration and windscreen investigation, and side bag installation). This sounds like a “dis”… and, it was indeed frustrating… the wait to get the bike, then almost a month more for servicing issues. That said, the bike seems sorted now, and runs great. I haven’t had any more issues to sideline riding.

When new, the engine was very tight. It has loosened up, and broken in nicely. I do still get a rather coarse vibration in the bars, and mostly, left foot peg (~4100 rpm). Not a deal breaker (hey, it’s a big twin). My previous ‘15 Norge continued to run better and better until the day I traded it (along with my Ducati ST3S) on the Mandello. So, I am hopeful that the Mandello will continue to open up, and “adapt” to my riding style😂. I feel I have a good sense now of what I can comfortably, and safely do with this bike. I look forward to new tires (Norge was the same way).

So, I’ve ridden bikes since the late 60’s, but I don’t consider myself a mechanic. I’ve done the basics - oil changes, tires, clutches but, as a guitar player, I tend to try to take care of my hands. With arthritis setting in, I try to avoid undue damage. So, my impressions below lack any technical inputs - just thoughts from a rider/owner…

• Beautiful bike in person. There is a lot of subtlety in the design. Fit and finish are good. Photos sometimes remind me of a shark. It might need some side decals on the body panels to break up the expanse of grey - I’ve seen some nice ones.
  • Handling is good - better than the Norge, not quite as good as the Ducati. I just did 3 days on backroads in KY, and it did everything in the twisties that I asked of it! It doesn’t feel like a 500 lb bike, while riding it.
  • Not fixating on it… but, fuel economy is decent - probably an average of 47 mpg. Good to know what to expect if in the middle of nowhere😁.
  • Braking is solid. I wish the rear brake was a little stronger - but, I’ve adapted. Fronts are very strong.
  • Electronics. I’m sure there are many mixed views of the Mandello’s tech. But, I’ve found the tech useful, and reliable so far. From the self canceling turn signals (which I wish were “time-to-cancel” adjustable), to all LED lighting… we’re in the “next 100 yrs”😉.
  • Suspension. As delivered, I found the suspension pretty harsh to my 180 lbs, in gear. I’ve hit potholes and expansion joints that knocked an earplug loose, and/or jogged my helmet askew! Once I started dialing in the electronics, things improved. I created a “manual suspension setting” in the MGCS menu that has softer settings. I assigned it to Touring mode, but it can be applied to any mode, while riding, via the menu and cruise control (+/-) slider, at the left bar grip. For me, dialing back (counterclockwise) the rear shock preload all the way, then “up” one click, seems to provide a good front/rear balance, with a bit more supple ride over nasty surfaces. If I want it, Sport mode can quickly liven things up😉.
  • I have experienced right hand numbness - thumb/index/middle for the most part. If riding conditions allow it, cruise control really helps provide a break. I feel the throttle tension is pretty high for me, especially if needing to keep it at a steady position for long periods. I put Grip Puppies on, which helped by allowing a lighter grip on the throttle, as well as being able to use the heel of the right hand to help keep the position steady (again, when cruise can’t be engaged). I hope in time, it will lighten/loosen up. This is a “long ride” type of problem🤔. I also have Rox risers ordered. 1 1/2” up, and 1” back.
  • I feel (my) windscreen is “wobbly.” Mostly associated with the left side, if facing the front of the bike. I noticed this from day one. I even had the shop check it out. They said that nothing was loose or missing. They offered that it’s most secure when the screen is in the down position. Also, the operating mechanism is on the right side, which might be why the left side feels more wiggly. I put the MG touring screen on, and whenever I wipe it clean after a ride, I have to hold it steady while wiping to prevent the screen from moving around. Nowhere near as solid as the Norge screen was😉. I can live with it, but I wonder about long term reliability.
  • As others have stated, I do wish we had emergency flashers.
  • And there’s the oil filler cap, and potential for spilling if the bike isn’t vertical. That’s been mentioned elsewhere. Just a niggle.
  • Engine. Lastly, what a wonderful motor. It doesn’t make all the racket the Norge made (valves, etc). The water cooling and wet clutch combine to blend modern functionality with the established charm of a Guzzi. It’s quieter and smoother. It sounds good - stock exhaust is fine. It looks good - mostly naked, the hint of cooling fins provide character. It doesn’t have near the torque effect of the Norge. The counterbalancing helps👍😁. Despite still clunking into first gear, it’s not as pronounced as it was in the Norge (and, I loved my Norge). The transmission is generally smooth. Honestly, I only use the quick shifter from 2nd on up. And, at highway speeds, I have many times wished 6th was a little taller (actually, toeing up for another gear only to find I’m already there😂). The upside is that one can lug around in 5th or 6th gear at some pretty low speeds and accelerate using the torque of the engine😁😂.
Again, these are my personal impressions, from my experience with the first 2500 miles on my Mandello S. Throughout this and other V100 forums, there have been rave reviews, and some tales of woe. I count my blessings to (1) still be riding at my age, and (2) to have such a wonderful machine to enjoy. At this point, I feel I have a dependable bike, that is a blast to ride, and does have personality (many folks have commented on it🤌). So, I’ll keep enjoying it for as long as I can. If you’re reading these posts wondering if you should buy one - despite my personal shaky start, I’m glad I have mine😁!

IMG 0449

Excellent review BDS! I can echo many of the sentiments and observations you've made above, with the exception of the wobbly windscreen. Mine seems to be fairly solid, and I always have it in the highest position for my 6'1" height.

Your wait time to receive the bike was short compared to mine. I ordered during the second week of April and didn't take delivery until July 20! I wonder if, after seeing some of the problems with early production models, Guzzi waited to ship some bikes until they had applied "fixes" to them? In any event it finally arrived and I'm thoroughly enjoying it; not experiencing any of the problems that I've seen mentioned here so far.

I hope the reliability continues as, being 64 now, this will likely be my last new motorcycle purchase and I would like to enjoy maximum riding time with minimum shop time! Cheers to all Mandello owners, especially those new to the brand like I am.

Guzzi1

Albertasaurus - I hope you ride forward with no issues! Like you, I expect the Mandello to take me out of my motorcycle years.These are fun bikes👍😁. And, I hope that from here on, the long term reliability mirrors what I experienced with my Norge (no issues over 7 yrs). Enjoy!!🙌

At 65 y.o. I'll add comments to the last couple of gray hair V100S ....but, on a V100. This bike makes me feel young again. I still have a few ergo things to sort, but the joy of riding a Guzzi returned in an instant. Much is different with the short block, but at the core it is all Guzzi, and MG/Piaggio did an outstanding job on the motor. 900 miles into it and I'm hoping I have a keeper, no issues at this point.

5 fill ups - mpg (US) from first to last 48.5, 50.2, 50.4, 50.5 and 48.9. The motor bedded in very quickly, 4,500rpm in 6th delivers 65mph+, so it isn't quite the chore the 900 miles break-in would make it seem. The mpg dropped in the last fill up; after it reached 750 miles, I was taking the motor well north of 4,500rpm for brief periods to help seat the rings and shake out any final swarf before the oil change. The smile just got broader and broader as the RPM's moved up. Taking the turns up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy- ecstasy.

The first gear shift, clunk, lurch is getting less or maybe I'm more used to it. It was more noticeable than my recollection of the NTX. Early on I was also missing gears moving 1st to 2nd then to 3rd on occasions, rider unfamiliarity, but that too is diminishing...from there up and all the way down, smooth. I had very little trouble hitting neutral from 1st or 2nd, as others have reported.

I have the front forks dialed in, factory setting was harsh, but resolved with 1&3/4 turns backing off pre-load. Damping left at factory. I'm not planning on changing to aftermarket fork kits at this time. The rear shock is way over-sprung for me, there is virtually no adjustment to reduce pre-load...smooth pavement no problem, but back roads ...aye, aye , aye..it reminds me of a hardtail at times The Kayaba is coming off soonest, a basic Matris via GTM is on order. I'm looking forward to seeing how the bike rides with it.

In for the first service in a couple of days, getting a center stand fitted so I can check oil, do the service items after the warranty period and fit the cases (when I get them) more easily on the LHS. I'm also going to get the rear bevel drive oil changed; not required but I think cheap insurance for a hard-working part of the drivetrain.

Yep, I'm in love with a navy girl. Italian too.....:cool:

Cheers. T2

Since this is an early impressions thread, I’ll post mine here…

V100S at 2500 miles - Impressions…

Here’s my story thus far… I ordered the bike on 3/16/23. Received it 4/26/23. The next day it went back to the shop for a RPM sensor because it would repeatedly die after running fine for about 8 miles. Ordered the expedited $20 part from Italy, and waited. All in all, the bike was in the shop 26 of the first 54 days following receipt (includes first service, vibration and windscreen investigation, and side bag installation). This sounds like a “dis”… and, it was indeed frustrating… the wait to get the bike, then almost a month more for servicing issues. That said, the bike seems sorted now, and runs great. I haven’t had any more issues to sideline riding.

When new, the engine was very tight. It has loosened up, and broken in nicely. I do still get a rather coarse vibration in the bars, and mostly, left foot peg (~4100 rpm). Not a deal breaker (hey, it’s a big twin). My previous ‘15 Norge continued to run better and better until the day I traded it (along with my Ducati ST3S) on the Mandello. So, I am hopeful that the Mandello will continue to open up, and “adapt” to my riding style😂. I feel I have a good sense now of what I can comfortably, and safely do with this bike. I look forward to new tires (Norge was the same way).

So, I’ve ridden bikes since the late 60’s, but I don’t consider myself a mechanic. I’ve done the basics - oil changes, tires, clutches but, as a guitar player, I tend to try to take care of my hands. With arthritis setting in, I try to avoid undue damage. So, my impressions below lack any technical inputs - just thoughts from a rider/owner…

• Beautiful bike in person. There is a lot of subtlety in the design. Fit and finish are good. Photos sometimes remind me of a shark. It might need some side decals on the body panels to break up the expanse of grey - I’ve seen some nice ones.
  • Handling is good - better than the Norge, not quite as good as the Ducati. I just did 3 days on backroads in KY, and it did everything in the twisties that I asked of it! It doesn’t feel like a 500 lb bike, while riding it.
  • Not fixating on it… but, fuel economy is decent - probably an average of 47 mpg. Good to know what to expect if in the middle of nowhere😁.
  • Braking is solid. I wish the rear brake was a little stronger - but, I’ve adapted. Fronts are very strong.
  • Electronics. I’m sure there are many mixed views of the Mandello’s tech. But, I’ve found the tech useful, and reliable so far. From the self canceling turn signals (which I wish were “time-to-cancel” adjustable), to all LED lighting… we’re in the “next 100 yrs”😉.
  • Suspension. As delivered, I found the suspension pretty harsh to my 180 lbs, in gear. I’ve hit potholes and expansion joints that knocked an earplug loose, and/or jogged my helmet askew! Once I started dialing in the electronics, things improved. I created a “manual suspension setting” in the MGCS menu that has softer settings. I assigned it to Touring mode, but it can be applied to any mode, while riding, via the menu and cruise control (+/-) slider, at the left bar grip. For me, dialing back (counterclockwise) the rear shock preload all the way, then “up” one click, seems to provide a good front/rear balance, with a bit more supple ride over nasty surfaces. If I want it, Sport mode can quickly liven things up😉.
  • I have experienced right hand numbness - thumb/index/middle for the most part. If riding conditions allow it, cruise control really helps provide a break. I feel the throttle tension is pretty high for me, especially if needing to keep it at a steady position for long periods. I put Grip Puppies on, which helped by allowing a lighter grip on the throttle, as well as being able to use the heel of the right hand to help keep the position steady (again, when cruise can’t be engaged). I hope in time, it will lighten/loosen up. This is a “long ride” type of problem🤔. I also have Rox risers ordered. 1 1/2” up, and 1” back.
  • I feel (my) windscreen is “wobbly.” Mostly associated with the left side, if facing the front of the bike. I noticed this from day one. I even had the shop check it out. They said that nothing was loose or missing. They offered that it’s most secure when the screen is in the down position. Also, the operating mechanism is on the right side, which might be why the left side feels more wiggly. I put the MG touring screen on, and whenever I wipe it clean after a ride, I have to hold it steady while wiping to prevent the screen from moving around. Nowhere near as solid as the Norge screen was😉. I can live with it, but I wonder about long term reliability.
  • As others have stated, I do wish we had emergency flashers.
  • And there’s the oil filler cap, and potential for spilling if the bike isn’t vertical. That’s been mentioned elsewhere. Just a niggle.
  • Engine. Lastly, what a wonderful motor. It doesn’t make all the racket the Norge made (valves, etc). The water cooling and wet clutch combine to blend modern functionality with the established charm of a Guzzi. It’s quieter and smoother. It sounds good - stock exhaust is fine. It looks good - mostly naked, the hint of cooling fins provide character. It doesn’t have near the torque effect of the Norge. The counterbalancing helps👍😁. Despite still clunking into first gear, it’s not as pronounced as it was in the Norge (and, I loved my Norge). The transmission is generally smooth. Honestly, I only use the quick shifter from 2nd on up. And, at highway speeds, I have many times wished 6th was a little taller (actually, toeing up for another gear only to find I’m already there😂). The upside is that one can lug around in 5th or 6th gear at some pretty low speeds and accelerate using the torque of the engine😁😂.
Again, these are my personal impressions, from my experience with the first 2500 miles on my Mandello S. Throughout this and other V100 forums, there have been rave reviews, and some tales of woe. I count my blessings to (1) still be riding at my age, and (2) to have such a wonderful machine to enjoy. At this point, I feel I have a dependable bike, that is a blast to ride, and does have personality (many folks have commented on it🤌). So, I’ll keep enjoying it for as long as I can. If you’re reading these posts wondering if you should buy one - despite my personal shaky start, I’m glad I have mine😁!

View attachment 31475
I have to agree with many of your points, especially concerning the vibrations. I get the same numbness in my throttle hand, but I can't really blame the bike - I get the same issue on several of my bikes if they vibrate a certain frequency. My Triumph 1200XE Scrambler does it to me almost exactly the same. Sucks getting older. :(

I adjusted the suspension the other way, I adjusted preload on both ends much stiffer in order to increase ground clearance. As a general FYI, after the footpeg feelers touch down, then it's the exhaust shields and the centerstand feet. Both of those issues have been rectified. ;)

Reactions: BDS
Albertasaurus - I hope you ride forward with no issues! Like you, I expect the Mandello to take me out of my motorcycle years.These are fun bikes👍😁. And, I hope that from here on, the long term reliability mirrors what I experienced with my Norge (no issues over 7 yrs). En
Excellent review BDS! I can echo many of the sentiments and observations you've made above, with the exception of the wobbly windscreen. Mine seems to be fairly solid, and I always have it in the highest position for my 6'1" height.

Your wait time to receive the bike was short compared to mine. I ordered during the second week of April and didn't take delivery until July 20! I wonder if, after seeing some of the problems with early production models, Guzzi waited to ship some bikes until they had applied "fixes" to them? In any event it finally arrived and I'm thoroughly enjoying it; not experiencing any of the problems that I've seen mentioned here so far.

I hope the reliability continues as, being 64 now, this will likely be my last new motorcycle purchase and I would like to enjoy maximum riding time with minimum shop time! Cheers to all Mandello owners, especially those new to the bran

At 65 y.o. I'll add comments to the last couple of gray hair V100S ....but, on a V100. This bike makes me feel young again. I still have a few ergo things to sort, but the joy of riding a Guzzi returned in an instant. Much is different with the short block, but at the core it is all Guzzi, and MG/Piaggio did an outstanding job on the motor. 900 miles into it and I'm hoping I have a keeper, no issues at this point.

5 fill ups - mpg (US) from first to last 48.5, 50.2, 50.4, 50.5 and 48.9. The motor bedded in very quickly, 4,500rpm in 6th delivers 65mph+, so it isn't quite the chore the 900 miles break-in would make it seem. The mpg dropped in the last fill up; after it reached 750 miles, I was taking the motor well north of 4,500rpm for brief periods to help seat the rings and shake out any final swarf before the oil change. The smile just got broader and broader as the RPM's moved up. Taking the turns up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy- ecstasy.

The first gear shift, clunk, lurch is getting less or maybe I'm more used to it. It was more noticeable than my recollection of the NTX. Early on I was also missing gears moving 1st to 2nd then to 3rd on occasions, rider unfamiliarity, but that too is diminishing...from there up and all the way down, smooth. I had very little trouble hitting neutral from 1st or 2nd, as others have reported.

I have the front forks dialed in, factory setting was harsh, but resolved with 1&3/4 turns backing off pre-load. Damping left at factory. I'm not planning on changing to aftermarket fork kits at this time. The rear shock is way over-sprung for me, there is virtually no adjustment to reduce pre-load...smooth pavement no problem, but back roads ...aye, aye , aye..it reminds me of a hardtail at times The Kayaba is coming off soonest, a basic Matris via GTM is on order. I'm looking forward to seeing how the bike rides with it.

In for the first service in a couple of days, getting a center stand fitted so I can check oil, do the service items after the warranty period and fit the cases (when I get them) more easily on the LHS. I'm also going to get the rear bevel drive oil changed; not required but I think cheap insurance for a hard-working part of the drivetrain.

Yep, I'm in love with a navy girl. Italian too.....:cool:

Cheers. T2

Hi TeeTwo. I took my bike home in March Today it has 8,684 miles, all without a peep. I will comment on your above points.

MPG is great. The lowest I have had was 41 MPG when new, testing it in the twisties and the highest 54 MPH--mostly 49-51
cruising at 75-80 MPH.

First gear clunk---much, much gentle than my previous 1200 RS or1200 GS. Yes, I had a few false neutrals when new (not worse than the Multistrada 1200). Now I just avoid the quik shifter from 1 to 2

Suspension--the semiactive is fine for me from factory for my 170 lb plus gear weight.

Vibrations--not worse than my 1200 RS or than my $90.00 dollars 1972 CB350 that "blew up" after 300 miles (it was probably worth
less than the 90, but I was a teenager so....)

Enjoy it for many years!!

Vibrations--not worse than my 1200 RS or than my $90.00 dollars 1972 CB350 that "blew up" after 300 miles (it was probably worth
less than the 90, but I was a teenager so....)

Enjoy it for many years!!
Hey D.F.....that is quite a span of bikes in that sentence alone! 8+K miles in 5 months; you're not enjoying the V100s much then..:rock: ...and that through a miserable hot season out west.

I sure hope my Guzzi luck takes a turn for the good with the Navale. It had been 6 years and I missed the connection through the seat (the Kayaba shock offers a little more than I want though :blush: )....and hope yours keeps purring along.

T2

Hey D.F.....that is quite a span of bikes in that sentence alone! 8+K miles in 5 months; you're not enjoying the V100s much then..:rock: ...and that through a miserable hot season out west.

I sure hope my Guzzi luck takes a turn for the good with the Navale. It had been 6 years and I missed the connection through the seat (the Kayaba shock offers a little more than I want though :blush: )....and hope yours keeps purring along.

T2

Tee Two.
Thank God one can go to the mountains here in the state where is usually 20+ degrees less than in the valley.. I live in Mesa which is less than one hour to the mountains Payson, Heber, Pine Top, Alpine and more---beautiful Ponderosa forest (I think the largest in the world). It helps that I am happily retired :).

Back